LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 270 users in the forums

Receivers need to attack the ball!

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:
Originally posted by verb1der:
If you guys re-watch the play (the link below @ .11 secs) the ball was not thrown very well, it took forever to get there... Delanie was running upfield, then had to turn around with his momentum and adjust to the ball....while Amakamura was sitting there THE WHOLE ENTIRE TIME. More often than not, the defender will win in that situation.

Watching it in slow motion makes it convenient to conclude that Walker should put more effort in "attacking the ball" but by no means does that excuse a poorly thrown pass.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/san-francisco-49ers/0ap1000000080419/GameDay-Giants-vs-49ers-highlights
its not just this one instance my friend. hes been doin the same thing forever, a lot of picks happened due to his lack of effort. not saying all the throws were perfect but eli, ryan, brady, rodgers and all the qbs are off a lot of the time and their receivers make them look good by goin up and getting passes. crabtree is great at this, of all our receivers i think he and kyle make the best effort to snare stray passes, VD is pretty good too but hes goofy and awkward lol

No I'm just talking about that particular play, but in general I do agree.
  • Jiks
If you guys re-watch the play (the link below @ .11 secs) the ball was not thrown very well, it took forever to get there... Delanie was running upfield, then had to turn around with his momentum and adjust to the ball....while Amakamura was sitting there THE WHOLE ENTIRE TIME. More often than not, the defender will win in that situation.

Watching it in slow motion makes it convenient to conclude that Walker should put more effort in "attacking the ball" but by no means does that excuse a poorly thrown pass.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/san-francisco-49ers/0ap1000000080419/GameDay-Giants-vs-49ers-highlights

Still think Smith thought that the defender was not going to be there. I think Alex threw it where he wanted, he just got tricked by the zone coverage. I think he was trying to drop it in there to what he thought was a wide open spot. COuld be wrong though. Seeing it from the endzone view it looked like he was expecting Amukamara to follow Manningham in trough the middle.

Yeah, way too much air under the ball. I think it was more the defense was ready than it was a bad read. The ball would have been completed is there was less air.
Originally posted by Joecool:

Yeah, way too much air under the ball. I think it was more the defense was ready than it was a bad read. The ball would have been completed is there was less air.

It does seem like Smith's throws lack velocity.
If Vernon doesn't attack this it's an INT.

Originally posted by JiksJuicy:
I even think on almost the 4th interception to Manningham he could have reached up and snagged it. Sure it was high but he was tripple covered and that was the best place to put it. As Gibbies said, Alex deserves his fair share of the blame if not most, but it's frustrating to see Cruz and Hixon making phenominal catches week in and week out, while we watch our guys never even attempt one.

Man, I could not agree more!

Alex had a terrible 2nd half yesterday but for the love of God, can just 1 of our wr's make a circus catch, attack the ball and or make an adjustment mid route or at least attempt to breakup a badly thrown ball?

The qb is not going to always throw a perfect pass and yesterdays game was a perfect example of that. Just look at Eli's game. He was okay but made some really poor throws as well but his wr's contort, jump and fought for the ball and ended up making some great catches. Those catches = sustained drives, td's and or breaking up ints. These small things add up in any given game.

Alex made some poor decisions and it cost us but for Walker and Manningham not to even attempt to breakup those poor passes really gets on my nerves!
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by rk1642:
I even think on almost the 4th interception to Manningham he could have reached up and snagged it. Sure it was high but he was tripple covered and that was the best place to put it. As Gibbies said, Alex deserves his fair share of the blame if not most, but it's frustrating to see Cruz and Hixon making phenominal catches week in and week out, while we watch our guys never even attempt one.

Alex had a terrible 2nd half yesterday but for the love of God, can just 1 of our wr's make a circus catch, attack the ball and or make an adjustment mid route or at least attempt to breakup a badly thrown ball?

The qb is not going to always throw a perfect pass and yesterdays game was a perfect example of that. Just look at Eli's game. He was okay but made some really poor throws as well but his wr's contort, jump and fought for the ball and ended up making some great catches. Those catches = sustained drives, td's and or breaking up ints. These small things add up in any given game.

Alex made some poor decisions and it cost us but for Walker and Manningham not to even attempt to breakup those poor passes really gets on my nerves!

• Jiks
Originally posted by McLovinAlexSmith:

Provide 3 spectacular catches by our WR's within the past two seasons. Better than the 3 by the Giants receivers yesterday. Hixon diving catch, Cruz's tapping the ball to himself 3 times, and I think he had another phenominal catch, and Nicks with that catch that was challenged yet ruled a catch cause he got his finger tips underneath them. Can you provide examples of when our receivers make those plays? 3 examples should be very simple.

Edit: Oh yeah forgot that throw to Hixon i believe that was tossed up to the side line and he went up and snatched it over Whitner. He even was called for PI. WR went up and snatched it right out of the air. Kind of similar to what I wish Walker would have done.
[ Edited by JiksJuicy on Oct 15, 2012 at 12:21 PM ]

Provide 3 spectacular catches by our WR's within the past two seasons. Better than the 3 by the Giants receivers yesterday. Hixon diving catch, Cruz's tapping the ball to himself 3 times, and I think he had another phenominal catch, and Nicks with that catch that was challenged yet ruled a catch cause he got his finger tips underneath them. Can you provide examples of when our receivers make those plays? 3 examples should be very simple.
i can name two by Rolle
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal

lol Hixon aint even a good WR.

also hard to make a great catch when the ball is ten feet over your head. You gotta give these dudes more chances. Eli is money and throws a great ball deep and short. The throws are crisp NFL caliber throws, not those fluttering ducks ALex throws. You see that throw that CK did to Manningham now thats a NFL caliber pass, no way Alex throws with that kind of velocity.

I don't really think it's totally accurate to say that our receivers don't go up and attack the ball. There is a difference between being covered one-on-one and going up against that single coverage and attacking the ball at its highest point, on the one hand, and running a go route down field where the safety steps in front and picks it off, on the other. In the latter situation the safety will almost always win that battle. The Giants receivers were winning battles in one-on-one coverages. Alex Smith almost never gives our receivers the opportunity to do that. Most times when he sees tight coverage one-on-one, Smith will not pull the trigger. This is not an attack on Smith, but that's just not the type of QB that he is. He is not a tight window thrower in obvious passing situations. He is a better passer on early down situations with anticipated coverages. He is usually good at reading defenses and making good decisions, but he simply is not the Manning/Rodgers/Brady type QB that will throw it into tight coverage and give his receivers the chance to go up and get it. The few times he's done it we've actually seen our receivers attack the ball. One such catch that comes to mind was last year's game in Seattle, where Crabtree was in tight coverage and Smith on that occasion pulled the trigger and gave him the chance to go up and get it.

Edit: Oh yeah forgot that throw to Hixon i believe that was tossed up to the side line and he went up and snatched it over Whitner. He even was called for PI. WR went up and snatched it right out of the air. Kind of similar to what I wish Walker would have done.

I can only come up with 1. It was in preseason Alex to Braylon.

[ Edited by paperplanemedia on Oct 15, 2012 at 12:26 PM ]
  • Jiks
lol Hixon aint even a good WR.

also hard to make a great catch when the ball is ten feet over your head. You gotta give these dudes more chances. Eli is money and throws a great ball deep and short. The throws are crisp NFL caliber throws, not those fluttering ducks ALex throws. You see that throw that CK did to Manningham now thats a NFL caliber pass, no way Alex throws with that kind of velocity.

Provide 3 catches in one and a half seasons and I will digress. That shouldn't be that hard, it's not asking much IMO. I can provide you with plenty of big drops if you would like.
  • Jiks
Originally posted by paperplanemedia:
I can only come up with 1. It was in preseason Alex to Braylon.

There was also the Williams grab in Dallas. Very legit. Also I guess the Ginn non t.d. against Baltimore.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
There was also the Williams grab in Dallas. Very legit. Also I guess the Ginn non t.d. against Baltimore.

Also Crabs catch vs Det last year that was VERY high.
Share 49ersWebzone