There are 154 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Receivers need to attack the ball!

Originally posted by McLovinAlexSmith:
Its always the receivers and olines fault and never the QBs fault.

Reading comprehension, Sus? It's all of their fault. Alex is not getting a pass... we all said he played poorly in the 2nd half..
I've thought this years but noooooo, it's all the Qbs fault.

Eli made some great throws, but his receivers bailed him out on a lot of throws too.
I don't mind interceptions per se. They're going to happen, and as a QB you cannot play with the fear of throwing a pick; you HAVE to take chances. However, you have to bounce back and continue to play your game without letting the previous interception dwell in your mind. Unfortunately, both Alex and the coaching staff sort of panicked after the interception and got away from their game. Also, the coaching staff never allowed Smith to get into a rythm, as everytime he made a big play, or drove the Niners down inside Giants territory, they brought in Kaepernick for these gimicky plays which proved to be the Niners undoing yesterday. Remember that Eli threw three interceptions in the first half against Tampa Bay, one of which was run back for a touchdown. But Eli has a short term memory and bounces back and continues to do what makes him great. Also, the coaching staff of the Giants never messes with his confidence and continuity and allows him to completely finish games. The Niners have GOT to stop overdoing it with the whole Kaepernick thing. I can understand using him sparingly in certain situations to catch defenses off guard, but trying to use him this much can only hurt the team as opposing defenses will be ready for him and Smith will be unable to achieve any sort of continuity or get into a rythm with his receivers.
+1 real9erfan good post
Once you come out of your route and the ball looks like it's not going to carry, then you COME TO THE BALL. You learn this in pop warner, at least I did.
I even think on almost the 4th interception to Manningham he could have reached up and snagged it. Sure it was high but he was tripple covered and that was the best place to put it. As Gibbies said, Alex deserves his fair share of the blame if not most, but it's frustrating to see Cruz and Hixon making phenominal catches week in and week out, while we watch our guys never even attempt one.
Best thread of the day. I was marveling at the way the Giant receivers were bailing Eli out, catch after catch. Other are blaming our DB's, but they had tight coverage on lots of those receptions. Eli has the balls and confidence in his accuracy and the ability of his WR's to make the difficult receptions. If Alex had been attempting those same throws, he would have been slammed for taking such risky shots. The Delanie Walker interception symbolizes a QB's reluctance to throw the tough completion when he is not confident his receivers will bail him out on "risky" or tight throws. I was not confident before the game exactly because of Eli's incredible ability to make the tough completion under pressure. He did it to us again. Perhaps this is our reluctance to play long ball. Randy Moss and Manningham are the only receivers capable of making the tough catch in traffic. Once the Giants took Vernon out of the game, Smith did not know who to look for in the long passing game. The other thing that has me disturbed is the lack of sophistication in our passing game. I cannot tell on TV how many WR's are in at any one time, it always seemed our intended receivers were always blanketed by two or three defenders, with no one running loose.
[ Edited by SDDAVE on Oct 15, 2012 at 11:01 AM ]
I agree with the premise, and must I say that this does not exonerate Smith when he plays poorly? The reason other teams seem to get many PI calls is that their receivers are attacking the ball and the refs usually default to the D getting called. If the receiver is just waiting for the ball, as Walker was, there will be no call because the DB is going for the ball.

May seem obvious but many of our receivers do not attack. Moss does, Williams does, Manningham does most of the time; but our big TEs don't always attack...and Crabtree almost never fights for the ball. Was hoping Moss would help Crabtree with this...jump in front of the DB to fight for the ball instead of running behind the DB.
Originally posted by paperplanemedia:
Something I noticed during the game. The Delanie Walker INT could have been avoided had Delanie attacked the ball instead of waiting for it to land in his hands.

You mean DW should have at least jump up to bat the ball down? lol...
Like I have said, "AS is NO Eli manning or Arron Rodgers and he doesn't have the talented WR crop like GB and NYG has. Adding Manningham to our WR crop was decent, but the reality is Manningham was NYG's 3rd best WR and that's why they can afford to let him go. Moss is better than what braylon edwards brought to the table last year, but he is way past his prime, while Jenkins is still a unknown, KW lacks size/experience and Crabtree is still slow. The strength of the team is the power running game, not the QB or the WR crop, although VD is a pro bowl TE, when the opposing defense keys in on VD, they can take him out of the game."
Originally posted by MrTruth:
Originally posted by paperplanemedia:
Something I noticed during the game. The Delanie Walker INT could have been avoided had Delanie attacked the ball instead of waiting for it to land in his hands.

You mean DW should have at least jump up to bat the ball down? lol...
Like I have said, "AS is NO Eli manning or Arron Rodgers and he doesn't have the talented WR crop like GB and NYG has. Adding Manningham to our WR crop was decent, but the reality is Manningham was NYG's 3rd best WR and that's why they can afford to let him go. Moss is better than what braylon edwards brought to the table last year, but he is way past his prime, while Jenkins is still a unknown, KW lacks size/experience and Crabtree is still slow. The strength of the team is the power running game, not the QB or the WR crop, although VD is a pro bowl TE, when the opposing defense keys in on VD, they can take him out of the game."

Attack the ball like Hixon did. I'd like to see the play again, but it seemed with the air underneath it DW could have made an attempt at it, instead of just watch it. But at the same time I feel Alex just got tricked that play. Again like to see it again, but I believe Manningham was running a in route(?) at the 1st down marker and Alex thought the defender was going to follow Manninghame across the middle but stayed in a zone and was able to come under neath.
Originally posted by SDDAVE:
Best thread of the day. I was marveling at the way the Giant receivers were bailing Eli out, catch after catch. Other are blaming our DB's, but they had tight coverage on lots of those receptions. Eli has the balls and confidence in his accuracy and the ability of his WR's to make the difficult receptions. If Alex had been attempting those same throws, he would have been slammed for taking such risky shots. The Delanie Walker interception symbolizes a QB's reluctance to throw the tough completion when he is not confident his receivers will bail him out on "risky" or tight throws. I was not confident before the game exactly because of Eli's incredible ability to make the tough completion under pressure. He did it to us again. Perhaps this is our reluctance to play long ball. Randy Moss and Manningham are the only receivers capable of making the tough catch in traffic. Once the Giants took Vernon out of the game, Smith did not know who to look for in the long passing game. The other thing that has me disturbed is the lack of sophistication in our passing game. I cannot tell on TV how many WR's are in at any one time, it always seemed our intended receivers were always blanketed by two or three defenders, with no one running loose.

You should check Manningham's 2009 and 2010 stats. He was much more than a 3rd option. He was nicked up a lot in 2011 which was why he was the 3rd option.

We are the only team that can't ever use a WR deep. Our WR's are not as bad as some want to believe.
some of our receivers do attack the ball like crabs and vd. manningham made some good attempts like that diving catch attempt he missed. the worst offender is delanie walker, hes the laziest receiver on the whole team
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:
some of our receivers do attack the ball like crabs and vd. manningham made some good attempts like that diving catch attempt he missed. the worst offender is delanie walker, hes the laziest receiver on the whole team

The problem with Delanie is that he's a TE that is not able to use his size...because he has none which just makes him a slow receiver when a FS or DB is on him.
If you guys re-watch the play (the link below @ .11 secs) the ball was not thrown very well, it took forever to get there... Delanie was running upfield, then had to turn around with his momentum and adjust to the ball....while Amakamura was sitting there THE WHOLE ENTIRE TIME. More often than not, the defender will win in that situation.

Watching it in slow motion makes it convenient to conclude that Walker should put more effort in "attacking the ball" but by no means does that excuse a poorly thrown pass.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/san-francisco-49ers/0ap1000000080419/GameDay-Giants-vs-49ers-highlights
[ Edited by verb1der on Oct 15, 2012 at 11:42 AM ]
Originally posted by verb1der:
If you guys re-watch the play (the link below @ .11 secs) the ball was not thrown very well, it took forever to get there... Delanie was running upfield, then had to turn around with his momentum and adjust to the ball....while Amakamura was sitting there THE WHOLE ENTIRE TIME. More often than not, the defender will win in that situation.

Watching it in slow motion makes it convenient to conclude that Walker should put more effort in "attacking the ball" but by no means does that excuse a poorly thrown pass.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/san-francisco-49ers/0ap1000000080419/GameDay-Giants-vs-49ers-highlights
its not just this one instance my friend. hes been doin the same thing forever, a lot of picks happened due to his lack of effort. not saying all the throws were perfect but eli, ryan, brady, rodgers and all the qbs are off a lot of the time and their receivers make them look good by goin up and getting passes. crabtree is great at this, of all our receivers i think he and kyle make the best effort to snare stray passes, VD is pretty good too but hes goofy and awkward lol