LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 140 users in the forums

How do we approach our QB/Offense situation?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Eastcoastniner:
The real question is who steps in for Boone at RG because Leonard Davis is just plain awful. Boone seemed to do alright at LT, but I doubt with the short week Staley is cleared to play so what are our options Kilgore?

Looney
Originally posted by jreff22:
Looney

Did he come in, I didnt notice?
Originally posted by Baldie:
Well we need to stop the rotation at QB during the game. It kills drive momentum if one is there.

yep, this is becoming a bit ridiculous.
Originally posted by Eastcoastniner:
Originally posted by jreff22:
Looney

Did he come in, I didnt notice?k
inactive.....he could be active this week
Dear Bruce,
At least it won't solely be about your guys or my guys tomorrow on sports talk. We'll split it 50/50.
Xoxo,
Jim
We mainly have success passing. Out of play action. Can't do that if we don't run. Also very difficult vs a discipline defense that refuses to bite on it.
Originally posted by smithgdwg:
Originally posted by danimal:
simple. Bench Alex now and go with Kaep for remainder of season. Regardless of QB we are the class of the division. Only through Kaep though can we be improved enough to do damage in the playoffs.

I'm sure that will go well in the locker room.

Harbaugh: "Look guys. Alex Smith had a bad game, so we are going to bench him for our 2nd string QB. Also, Carlos, you are benched too for sucking this game. Akers, you are riding the pine too."

assuming everyone in the locker room is older than 8 years old they know Alex Smith has not had much of a career......Harbaugh would not have to say anything
Alex plays, Kaep sits

OR

Kaep plays, Alex sits

Enough with the QB rotation. At one point the snaps seemed 50/50 between them on some drives. Who can get into a rhythm like that?
Originally posted by SofaKing:
Alex plays, Kaep sits

OR

Kaep plays, Alex sits

Enough with the QB rotation. At one point the snaps seemed 50/50 between them on some drives. Who can get into a rhythm like that?
This. What was horrible for Alex was putting back in on 3rd and long after Kap put us in a hole.
Originally posted by LB49ers:
Alex plays, Kaep sits

OR

Kaep plays, Alex sits

This. What was horrible for Alex was putting back in on 3rd and long after Kap put us in a hole.

that was by far the most retarded play calling sequence in the game. huge gain by alex and moss then kaep comes in and goes backwards twice and alex is brought in to get a 30 yard 1st down. i dont wanna see kaep out there at all in this game. they need to stabilize their nfl offense, not f**k around with college gimmicks. this wont get us to the playoffs and if it does, we'll be destroyed. passing game needs to get some consistency going forward, you dont get that with rotating qbs every other plays

Originally posted by Bootlegger:
Which direction is Harbaugh headed with our beloved 49ers offense and QB?

RUN THE BALL and establish the running game first and always. Then you can worry about the passing game and adding that gimmicky CK QB option nonsense, cause that's NOT going to carry the team or take it anywhere fast or far, believe it.
  • Jiks
Alex plays, Kaep sits

OR

Kaep plays, Alex sits

This 100%. I mean at least if Alex stalls on those drives we know what the problem is. Instead we just create more problems.
I watched all the QB's play during the preseason in my opinion Tolzein looked the best out of all of them but got less time than all of them to play he may be the real secret weapon
  • Baldie
  • Veteran
Originally posted by JiksJuicy:
Alex plays, Kaep sits

OR

Kaep plays, Alex sits

This 100%. I mean at least if Alex stalls on those drives we know what the problem is. Instead we just create more problems.

Been listening to bay area sports talk today and the main topic was "Identity". The Niners are just being overly creative with plays, they need to go back to what they did last year....line-up and run the ball down your throat to create PA passes. No more of this QB rotations and pistol offensive formations (formations that Kaep ran in college).

Another topic that was talked about alot is of course "Alex". The coaching staff knows that he is limited with his throws therefore they can't really open up the offense the way they want to, but thats not what they are going to say to the media. When the team falls behind and Alex is forced to win the game, thats when it gets ugly for us, with exception to the Saints game last year but we can't depend on that Alex every game. All the reason why they entertained Peyton in the offseason. Even if they make the playoffs but not the SB, this could very well be Alex's last season in SF. We all knew the defense would regress a little, but we did not expect the offense to regress as well.

The NFC West division is just too good this year to be playing around with gimick plays.
The question I have is:

Are the passing formations and routes good enough that a better QB can step in and make the plays?

I've read that we've simplified and limited ourselves with the routes and plays. Wanted to confirm it wasn't that.......that someone better could step in and make something happen when Smith isn't.

I'm getting extremely frustrated that we are unable to attack teams in the air without the running game or play action working. We can go from a strong offense to incredibly average with just some disciplined defensive scheming.

And that to me is scary.

I've compared it before to the '90 49ers getting by with a PATHETIC running game. Craig's knee kept him under 4.0 YPC....maybe even less than 3.5. Giants (there's that team again) basically said they will run NICKEL & DIME AS BASE DEFENSE THE ENTIRE GAME.

And it was a dogfight!!!

Clearly they had personnel to do it, but I'm sure they weren't the only ones. Having Montana, Rice, Taylor, Jones makes up for it, but it was extremely difficult.

There's GOT to be an answer to this.
[ Edited by JTsBiggestFan on Oct 15, 2012 at 4:51 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone