LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 270 users in the forums

How do we approach our QB/Offense situation?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I honestly don't know what to think, both QBs we played today looked like crap. Smith is inconsistent; sometimes he plays great and sometimes he plays like garbage. Not sure how much of him looking great has to do with play design and how much is attributed to him. Kaepernick hasn't had many snaps, but i really am not a fan of the read option offense that Coach forces him to run when he's in the game. Can he play the pro-style offense? This remains to be seen since the coaches haven't let him try. I really think we need a consistent pro style QB, and am not sure if we can fix Smith's problems with inconsistency or mold Kaepernick into pro-style QB. So what do we do for the future?

Pro-style vs. Read option.
What kind of QB do we want?

Do we ride out Smith? Athletic but is not the best when it comes to standing tall in the pocket. We know what he is capable of and incapable of, we just don't know which Smith we will be getting come game time.

Do we put in Kaepernick and run the read option? Do we put him in and try to turn him into the pro style QB? Kaep is more athletic than Smith and can make some deep throws, but will he make the right decisions?

Tolzien is on the roster, but obviously there is a problem with him because we don't ever give him a shot. Should we give him a shot? He ran the pro style offense at Wisconsin, and can stay in the pocket and make passes.

I highly doubt we look to the draft for another QB, so I am pretty sure that is out of the question.

Which direction is Harbaugh headed with our beloved 49ers offense and QB?
Leave Ck7 on the sideline for the remaining two games prior to the bye week. If Alex sucks it up, you have to start considering a real change. If Alex steps back up and handles his business, then that's that... he stays in.
Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:
Leave Ck7 on the sideline for the remaining two games prior to the bye week. If Alex sucks it up, you have to start considering a real change. If Alex steps back up and handles his business, then that's that... he stays in.

This. And don't switch QBs anymore during the game.

This!
Alex until he DERP's up a game again. I mean REALLY derp's it up.

Keep Kaep on the damn sideline until then.
Bench smith! He gave the giants the game!! 3 ints! Nuff said!
Bench them both and see what Tolzien can do.
Originally posted by nevadalove9ers2:

Agree, don't take alex out after making a big play! than a negative play happens under Colin, and you replace him with Alex. You destroy his confidence, they teams too, hard to adjust to a different signal caller, and such plays like gore and colin running two different plays doesn't help anyone. Just sit him on the bench start alex, if we blow them out, colin comes in for the victory kneel down thats it! Thread! Run the ball with gore keep doing it tell the games over and you've won, let your defense stay rested and make plays!
Originally posted by Bootlegger:
I honestly don't know what to think, both QBs we played today looked like crap. Smith is inconsistent; sometimes he plays great and sometimes he plays like garbage. Not sure how much of him looking great has to do with play design and how much is attributed to him. Kaepernick hasn't had many snaps, but i really am not a fan of the read option offense that Coach forces him to run when he's in the game. Can he play the pro-style offense? This remains to be seen since the coaches haven't let him try. I really think we need a consistent pro style QB, and am not sure if we can fix Smith's problems with inconsistency or mold Kaepernick into pro-style QB. So what do we do for the future?

Pro-style vs. Read option.
What kind of QB do we want?

Do we ride out Smith? Athletic but is not the best when it comes to standing tall in the pocket. We know what he is capable of and incapable of, we just don't know which Smith we will be getting come game time.

Do we put in Kaepernick and run the read option? Do we put him in and try to turn him into the pro style QB? Kaep is more athletic than Smith and can make some deep throws, but will he make the right decisions?

Tolzien is on the roster, but obviously there is a problem with him because we don't ever give him a shot. Should we give him a shot? He ran the pro style offense at Wisconsin, and can stay in the pocket and make passes.

I highly doubt we look to the draft for another QB, so I am pretty sure that is out of the question.

Which direction is Harbaugh headed with our beloved 49ers offense and QB?

The answer is completely obvious.

Kaepernick is trade-bait and Smith is Jacksonville bound.

I agree....leave Alex alone early in the game ZERO KAEP...only bring in Kaep if the game is getting out of hand late in the game.

these next few weeks is against above average to great defenses...if Alex plays well, there would be no excuses....like say against Detroit (both starting CBs out) or Buffalo Bills (Bills).
Originally posted by Afrikan:

I agree....leave Alex alone early in the game ZERO KAEP...only bring in Kaep if the game is getting out of hand late in the game.

these next few weeks is against above average to great defenses...if Alex plays well, there would be no excuses....like say against Detroit (both starting CBs out) or Buffalo Bills (Bills).

We are all in agreement. will Roman listen?
Originally posted by NickSh49:
Originally posted by nevadalove9ers2:

Great Pic. Clearly Cause and Effect, you can't throw 3 picks had you been on the field on second down and keep your team from making mistakes and putting you into a 3rd and long and force a throw! I only blame one int on alex he threw it late to walker!
Bring back Chris Weinke.
Ive been saying for a while now, the rotational idea is dumb at both QB and at WR...it needs to stop.
Share 49ersWebzone