LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 303 users in the forums

I'll reiterate what I said about the draft at the beginning of the season

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by BayAreaNinersFan:
This

we are overrated people, accept it. This is not being negative, it's about talking about what needs to be fixed (as if all our ramblings had any significance). Saying we are overrated does not mean losing support. I'm addicted, I'm a niner junkie. That's some f**king support, my emotions are invested in this. I'm not one of those fans who shuts off the TV in a blow out (2004-2010). I'll watch every snap even if we lose by 100.

But speaking objectively about our team, we need to start calling it out how it is.

I'm VERY concerned about our Defense, which is the most disappointing thing from today. to be honest with you I've never had much faith in Alex (I did and still do have some), so the Offense's performance is not something I'm stressing about, even though it was putrid.

This. The hype last year was great and these guys played balls-to-the-wall and out of their minds which helped to cover up some faults. Its clear that if this defense can not generate a pass rush, they're not going to be able to stop the better, more balanced teams in this league. Ponder had his way with the defense just like Eli Manning did today. I don't think anyone on the DL is necessarily playing poorly, I just do think that in a 3-4 system you need to have some decent depth, to be able to swap guys out the way the Giants have done. But when you look at who is there to rotate in for Justin Smith, Ray McDonald, Aldon and Brooks, its like Old Mother Hubbard and there's nothing left in the cupboard.

This is why I would have loved to have gotten a guy like Derek Wolfe, Casey Hayward, Josh Robinson.....all guys would have contributed and gotten on the field to be able to contribute and make some plays.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
This. The hype last year was great and these guys played balls-to-the-wall and out of their minds which helped to cover up some faults. Its clear that if this defense can not generate a pass rush, they're not going to be able to stop the better, more balanced teams in this league. Ponder had his way with the defense just like Eli Manning did today. I don't think anyone on the DL is necessarily playing poorly, I just do think that in a 3-4 system you need to have some decent depth, to be able to swap guys out the way the Giants have done. But when you look at who is there to rotate in for Justin Smith, Ray McDonald, Aldon and Brooks, its like Old Mother Hubbard and there's nothing left in the cupboard.

This is why I would have loved to have gotten a guy like Derek Wolfe, Casey Hayward, Josh Robinson.....all guys would have contributed and gotten on the field to be able to contribute and make some plays.

I would have liked to have gotten them too but who would they play ahead of? Hayward or Robinson would only be active if Brock wasnt. Maybe cut Dixon to get one on the field but then our special teams may even be less special.
I would have kept an extra OLB over Dobbs but everyone loves the guy.
Originally posted by btthepunk:

I would have liked to have gotten them too but who would they play ahead of? Hayward or Robinson would only be active if Brock wasnt. Maybe cut Dixon to get one on the field but then our special teams may even be less special.

We should have re-signed Costanzo and cut Dixon.
Originally posted by pdizo916:
But to be fair, the 49ers are stacked in the RB dept. I don't know what they're doing in the WR core....

The WR depth is fine. The problem is we aren't taking advantage of matchups. If Moss has has single coverage the ball should go to him EVERY TIME. Nothing is more infuriating than watching him blow by the CB only to have Alex roll out and then do the usual check down.

Not sure if its Alex, Roman, or the combination of the two but something needs to change. We have all the pieces to field a dominant offense and we just aren't taking advantage.
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:

I agree.
I agree.

Co-signed. Not resigning Costanzo was damn near criminal, he was one of the key pieces of the team as the guy who was always pumped up and bouncing around on the sidelines, bringing energy and playing his ass off on special teams, this team is lacking that sort of infectious energy.
I agree.

Co-signed. Not resigning Costanzo was damn near criminal, he was one of the key pieces of the team as the guy who was always pumped up and bouncing around on the sidelines, bringing energy and playing his ass off on special teams, this team is lacking that sort of infectious energy.

I think trading Colin Jones and losing Costanzo hurt us more than having no rookie production.
I agree.

I think trading Colin Jones and losing Costanzo hurt us more than having no rookie production.
You guys cant talk about wanting Costanzo for his energy then in the same breath say cut Dixon, his morale, attitude and dedication is why he made the team, the same exact reason Costanzo would of
Originally posted by nvchamp9ers:
You guys cant talk about wanting Costanzo for his energy then in the same breath say cut Dixon, his morale, attitude and dedication is why he made the team, the same exact reason Costanzo would of

Costanzo brought way more to ST's than energy. Dixon is good at it but Costanzo is one of the best.
He made the team because he looked real good running in preseason.

Costanzo brought way more to ST's than energy. Dixon is good at it but Costanzo is one of the best.
He made the team because he looked real good running in preseason.
I disagree how he looked running but that is just my opinion, you could be right. IDK i wasnt in the room when the cuts were made, just my perspective on the situation.

I disagree how he looked running but that is just my opinion, you could be right. IDK i wasnt in the room when the cuts were made, just my perspective on the situation.

I believe Dixon was one of the top rushers in the preseason. Probably the only reason he made it over Cartwright.
I think Jenkins and James will be good players but I'm starting to wonder if they were bad picks, with respect to our situation and where we took them.

I find it very difficult to believe we took them with the assumption they would be essentially red-shirting. That seems very dumb to me, and I'd like to believe Baalke knows what he's doing. Why would he do that?

This rookie playing-time ordeal is vexing, and one more annoying thing to think about this week as we reflect on a game that might have been a big dose of reality, a barometer of how good we really are.
[ Edited by BayAreaNinersFan on Oct 14, 2012 at 5:44 PM ]
Originally posted by BayAreaNinersFan:
I think Jenkins and James will be good players but I'm starting to wonder if they were bad picks, with respect to our situation and where we took them.

I find it very difficult to believe we took them with the assumption they would be essentially red-shirting. That seems very dumb to me, and I'd like to believe Baalke knows what he's doing. Why would he do that?

This rookie playing-time ordeal is vexing, and one more annoying thing to think about this week as we reflect on a game that might have been a big dose of reality, a barometer of how good we really are.

This. The Giants are absolutely loaded at WR and still found ways to get Randle out on the field. I understand maybe taking 1 guy and letting him sit...but 2 guys with your top 2 picks when there were plenty of other players who could contribute almost immediately? Mind-boggling.
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:

Yep. And I said I wanted Dixon before week 1. Youre right. Our ST sucks
Depth at OLB and DL is lacking right now....
Share 49ersWebzone