LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 207 users in the forums

Official Greg "the mad scientist" Roman Express

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I will say that his second half play calling was a minor improvement this week. I was happy to finally see a screen pass (not well executed by anyone but Gore) and then a draw play. These teams are sending everything but the kitchen sink so if we can get those two pieces in sync before the playoffs, they could prove to be big additions to the offense.

I would like to see some plays designed for James like the ones that Sproles gets in New Orleans.
Roman needs to stop playing for field goals when we get in the redzone. Take some damn shots. He's very creative in the run game, but his play calling has been questionable to say the least, and downright awful at times. This no-risk offense will not put enough points on the board to beat a high-powered offense like New England.
GeepMoRoman still have a lot of work to do.
I think the Mad Scientist Roman pulled a Bruce Banner so now he transforms into Jimmy Raye at random times.
Originally posted by Allx9er:

Boriiiiiiiing! My g/f actually fell asleep at this one...so much for offensive explosion.

Nice to see James out there...just his THREAT of running off tackle opened up holes for Gore inside and then Gore's runs inside opened up CK's TD run. Again, above average on the run calls (minus the OBVIOUS running formations that just allowed the Dolphins to T-off and stuff us for loses in the RZ = FG's). Still, only 1 deep pass all game. Moss was our #2 for Manningham...did we target him more than 3 times? Did Jenkins get a snap? Boring...no matter how you slice this win. But I'll take a W. The next 2 games will be the real test for the offense/defense/ST's.

PS: Thank you Spillman. If it isn't the defense scoring 14 against the Saints or shutting the Rams down it's the ST this week contributing to a TD. Well done. Nice team win.
I agree with you here. I mentioned earlier I was happy to see some designed screens in the second half. He needs to keep doing that, but also needs to start calling plays where the QB throws into the endzone. We know the plays are there (see New Orleans playoff)
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by Allx9er:

Boriiiiiiiing! My g/f actually fell asleep at this one...so much for offensive explosion.

Nice to see James out there...just his THREAT of running off tackle opened up holes for Gore inside and then Gore's runs inside opened up CK's TD run. Again, above average on the run calls (minus the OBVIOUS running formations that just allowed the Dolphins to T-off and stuff us for loses in the RZ = FG's). Still, only 1 deep pass all game. Moss was our #2 for Manningham...did we target him more than 3 times? Did Jenkins get a snap? Boring...no matter how you slice this win. But I'll take a W. The next 2 games will be the real test for the offense/defense/ST's.

PS: Thank you Spillman. If it isn't the defense scoring 14 against the Saints or shutting the Rams down it's the ST this week contributing to a TD. Well done. Nice team win.

Was nice to see lmj out there doing a good job in his first action of the year. Was impressed in the since that the speed of the game wasnt too much for him, kept his eyes in the ball and was patient waiting for the oline to do their job in the ground game.

As for the ground game, overall im pretty happy with the game, even the options because, imo they didn't over use it and i think they even passed out of that set with the same kind of look or action if that makes since. Anything to make the D react a little slow.

I just dont understand the the niners philosophy when it comes to the jumbo. It seams like evertime L davis and kilgore come in its either a penalty or negative yards and it seams as if they ALWAYS run out of it.

Even though i know (even though it wont make me feel better) what morton and geep have done to warrant their respective roles with in the offense. I think you guys touched on it earlier but matters such as pass play design, auto checks between qb and rec. If geep is in charge of the redzone game plan is he only providing run plays to roman? Can he find a way to get a te, wr, rb open 20 yards out?

In a way our current O kinda of reminds me of a couple of years ago when the close we got to the endzone the more we shot ourselves in the foot.
[ Edited by Allx9er on Dec 9, 2012 at 6:49 PM ]
CK is asked to play like a sort of a super-Smith. He can hit the more difficult pass, escape the pass rush more often, run further on scrambles and all that, but still there is the mind set to basically play the same sort of game Smith does.
I'm not impressed with Roman. He seems to be so predictable. I thought he would open it up as the season went along but his play calling seems very stale.

Anyone notice that pitch reverse run to James and how he ran it more then a few times without much success? I bet we see this a lot more. This play will get old quick.
I like the Super-Smith comparison, although if this is what they are going to do, I feel they may as well go with Smith. If you are going to have a guy with CK's talents, he needs to be cut loose a little more. As for Greg Roman, he is great for the run game, but I honestly hope he goes. I don't think I have seen an offensive coordinator do as little with as much talent as he has. Crabtree, Manningham, Moss, and Kyle Williams up until his injury are all legit. Add Vernon Davis to the game and you should have a passing game that should be just as lethal as the running game. And unfortunately, it just hasn't been there. Hopefully some college or pro teams hires his this off season and we get a guy that can take advantage of the talent we have on offense and take some pressure off of the defense.

Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
I like the Super-Smith comparison, although if this is what they are going to do, I feel they may as well go with Smith. If you are going to have a guy with CK's talents, he needs to be cut loose a little more. As for Greg Roman, he is great for the run game, but I honestly hope he goes. I don't think I have seen an offensive coordinator do as little with as much talent as he has. Crabtree, Manningham, Moss, and Kyle Williams up until his injury are all legit. Add Vernon Davis to the game and you should have a passing game that should be just as lethal as the running game. And unfortunately, it just hasn't been there. Hopefully some college or pro teams hires his this off season and we get a guy that can take advantage of the talent we have on offense and take some pressure off of the defense.

I agree with this post.
I think he is a good OC , he really just needs to stop with the gimmick plays this isn't college football. Plus that jumbo package crap is horrible, throw a pass out of it ffs. Also needs to start having a crack in the red zone Fg's should be a last resort. I'd rather throw a pick in the endzone trying to score six then miss Fg's like we have been this year. Throw it up to moss he's shown if the pass is off he can play defense.

I'm really hoping its smoke and mirrors until the playoffs and then well open up and get Vernon more involved etc but I said that last year too. I have been pretty impressed with the run game this year tho, really revolutionizing that part of the game and I think a lot of teams will try to copycat our style next year.

As for roman if we don't win the SB I think he'll be gone , either a HC job in the nfl ( which I don't feel he'll be successful at ) or hell go back and learn his trade at the college level

Would love to see norv come in , him and harbaugh could do some special things. The talent level on this team is leaps and bounds in front of when norv was here!
Roman's still calling crap plays on 3rd downs what was our 3rd down conversion rate vs Miami?

Please welcome Norv Turner!
[ Edited by SkyGod on Dec 10, 2012 at 8:09 AM ]
And by mad scientist we mean "what the F! Are you mad calling that play?"
I hope he saw the headline coming out of Baltimore, Harbaugh just canned their OC.
hopefully it rubs off on our Harbaugh
Share 49ersWebzone