LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 144 users in the forums

Official Greg "the mad scientist" Roman Express

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by PTulini:
I understand that Norv Turner is a good OC, but he doesn't run the WCO! Plus, I highly doubt he and Jim Harbaugh would work well together. NO THANK YOU!

Jim likes those old grizzled NFL vets like Fangio and Brad Seely, not sure he'd have an issue with Norv who can call essentially any offense and could fit within Harbaugh's run-first parameters.

Maybe so, but I think their egos would get in the way.

I don't think Norv has much room for ego left after failing in 3 head coaching positions, at this point its obvious he belongs strictly as a coordinator. Contrary to what you're saying, I think Harbaugh and Norv might even click well together, they both have a run first philosophy and love old-school, throwback type football.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
f**k no do not want Turner he is way overrated as a OC.
I think Harbaugh "took" responsibility, but it's really Roman who got thrown under the bus.
Originally posted by fastforward:
I think Harbaugh "took" responsibility, but it's really Roman who got thrown under the bus.

I've been thinking the same thing. Honestly, I wouldn't be shocked if somehow Roman gets fired/leaves after this season.

I don't think Norv has much room for ego left after failing in 3 head coaching positions, at this point its obvious he belongs strictly as a coordinator. Contrary to what you're saying, I think Harbaugh and Norv might even click well together, they both have a run first philosophy and love old-school, throwback type football.

If Norv didnt butt heads with Nolan, than he can work with anyone. I personally thing Norv and Harbaugh would be a match made in heaven. Norv is one of the best game planning/ play calling OC's i have ever seen. He just could never get it done as HC. The mix of Harbaughs offense, with Norvs offense, with norv calling the plays would be pretty amazing to see IMO.
Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by kush:
Originally posted by IdahoNiner:
I would be totally for Norv making a return after he gets fired in SD. Would be a nice fit IMO.

I would give my left nut for this to happen. I remember Norv calling the offense for a team largely devoid of talent and he was a great playcaller, kept opposing defensive coordinators off balance, made Alex look like he had turned the corner, terrific balance of big passing plays down field along with plenty of runs, I mean Frank Gore did have the best year of his career with Norv as the playcaller. The additional benefit is that Norv isn't going anywhere, nobody is going to offer him a head coaching position ever again, he's kind of like Wade Phillips in that regard, he'll remain as a very, very good coordinator and a guy that the 49ers wouldn't have to worry about bailing on them again.

We finally got the WCO back! I dont wanna give that s**t up, believe that.
would it be good or bad if norv turner came back to run the offense? not a good fit with JH?

Would be a match made in heaven IMO. Its not like norv doesnt understand the WCO. And norv's coryell system really isaint that far removed. From what i understand, the only major differance is terminology. Norv beleives strongly in setting up the pass through the run, and as an OC and play caller he has alays been one of the best there is. He was great at making game time adjustments, exploiting defenses, and getting the most out of the talent on the roster. Just failed as a HC. Hes not really a leader of men, but a great student and manipulator of the game. Him and Harbaugh would fit real well together IMO.
Originally posted by susweel:

That statment is so false, i dont even know what else to say. He is one of the best OC's ive ever seen. HC, not so much.
Turner is a very good OC but there is no way he will join Harbaugh. He would want to change the offense and that would be a nonstarter. Perhaps Norv and Alex can wind up as a package somewhere?
Norv calls the digit system. You guys really want to change offenses again? They are completly different systems. This is a really bad idea and would be a horrible mistake.

• susweel
  • Hall of Nepal

That statment is so false, i dont even know what else to say. He is one of the best OC's ive ever seen. HC, not so much.

look at his offensive rankings

1991-Cowboys- PTS-10 YDS-13
1992-cowboys- PTS-2 YDS-1
1993-Cowboys- PTS -2 YDS-2
2001- Chargers PTS- 13 YDS-8
2002- Miami PTS-5 YDS-7
2003- Miami PTS-12 YDS-19
2006- Niners PTS-29 YDS-27

That I believe is every year he has been an OC. Those #'s are far from being bad. SF he was there one year, Had arguably no talent besides gore and a young QB, and look at how much beter the offense looked. The numers are deceptive when it comes to his stint ith the niners, as well as Chargers.

If you include his HC stints,

6 of his years in the league he ranked top three in rushing TD's. 9 seasons he was top ten in rushing TD's. 8 seasons a top ten rushing team in terms of yardage.

5 seasons he had a top five team in terms of Passing TD's. 11 years he had a top ten passing offense in Yards, 9 seasons a top ten team in terms of passing TD's

If you want to go net yards per attempt in the passing game, 10 seasons he had a top ten ranking. 8 of those were top five. 6 of those were top 3.

As far as rushing, he had a top ten yards per attempt team 9 seasons.

His head coaching stints have left a lot to be desired no doubt, but that is mostly because he isn't a great leader of men. But in terms of Offense, and being an OC, and running an offense to the best of its ability, there aren't many that are better in this league.
[ Edited by IdahoNiner on Dec 6, 2012 at 8:21 PM ]

2002- Miami PTS-5 YDS-7
2007- Niners PTS-29 YDS-27

That I believe is every year he has been an OC. Those #'s are far from being bad. SF he was there one year, Had arguably no talent besides gore and a young QB, and look at how much beter the offense looked. The numers are deceptive when it comes to his stint ith the niners, as well as Chargers.

6 of his years in the league he ranked top three in rushing TD's. 9 seasons he was top ten in rushing TD's. 8 seasons a top ten rushing team in terms of yardage.

5 seasons he had a top five team in terms of Passing TD's. 11 years he had a top ten passing offense in Yards, 9 seasons a top ten team in terms of passing TD's

If you want to go net yards per attempt in the passing game, 10 seasons he had a top ten ranking. 8 of those were top five. 6 of those were top 3.

His head coaching stints have left a lot to be desired no doubt, but that is mostly because he isn't a great leader of men. But in terms of Offense, and being an OC, and running an offense to the best of its ability, there aren't many that are better in this league.

I thought Norv was here in 2006?

yes, sorry typo.

2002- Miami PTS-5 YDS-7
2007- Niners PTS-29 YDS-27

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/sfo/2006.htm
Share 49ersWebzone