LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 263 users in the forums

Official Greg "the mad scientist" Roman Express

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by SkyGod:
Ya the designed roll out left play for a right handed QB i also caught it and it really really pissed me off that Roman called that bone headed play! Just pathetic!

Lets get a real OC for 2013 the guy running New England's offense he is excellent Josh McDaniels.

Seriously! I was only casually watching it and that play jumped out to me like the Ginn play. Then I had to watch it 2 dozen times to believe what I was seeing.

Singletary: "I gotta watch the tape."
Well I watched the tape and I'm disturbed.

Is this really a championship offense?

Only disagreement is the roll left--CK does pretty well rolling to his left, as noted by the Crabtree TD and some other good passes. The blocking, particularly by the backs, I totally agree with. Another cute wrinkle that failed at a critical time.
Originally posted by SofaKing:
Not to mention on that roll out you only have 1/3 of the field to work with. You can't go middle or right side of the field. It just limited our options for where the ball could go. Stupid play call. I was screaming at my TV the second the ball was snapped.

Roman also likes to run too many pitchouts and sweeps to the short side of the field which also drives me nutz

Great points...esp. with CK's long legs...three steps left or right he's almost out of bounds. LOL
Highly likely Roman will f**k up somehow someway and cost us in the playoffs.
Originally posted by SofaKing:
Ya the designed roll out left play for a right handed QB i also caught it and it really really pissed me off that Roman called that bone headed play! Just pathetic!

Lets get a real OC for 2013 the guy running New England's offense he is excellent Josh McDaniels.

Seriously! I was only casually watching it and that play jumped out to me like the Ginn play. Then I had to watch it 2 dozen times to believe what I was seeing.

Not to mention on that roll out you only have 1/3 of the field to work with. You can't go middle or right side of the field. It just limited our options for where the ball could go. Stupid play call. I was screaming at my TV the second the ball was snapped.

We used to roll out with Alex Smith too. It drove me crazy.
"Well, he CAN roll out, so let's do it because the quarterback can physically perform it."

I think coaches spend too much time thinking about how they can be "clever", instead of actually studying what has WORKED.
Originally posted by dtg_9er:

Only disagreement is the roll left--CK does pretty well rolling to his left, as noted by the Crabtree TD and some other good passes. The blocking, particularly by the backs, I totally agree with. Another cute wrinkle that failed at a critical time.

But just because a player CAN do something, doesn't automatically mean we should force a play for it.

The Crabtree TD was not a designed play. We have to let Kaep do what comes natural, instead of forcing it down his throat.
[ Edited by BrianGO on Dec 4, 2012 at 6:50 PM ]

I do agree with that...he is one of the better ones rolling to his left but overall, it's still a lower percentage throw esp. if you're rolling right into Staley's wheel house with only one receiving option and the backside doing the only blocking. Maybe a roll out to the right with AD and VD on that side with Miller and Gore blocking to that side (or one stay in to block a quick pursuit from the backside) and give him at least two receiving options...if neither are instantly there, he's got a convoy out in front of him and a chance to pick up the first down or at least, pick up a few more yards and stay in bounds to wind down the clock and still kick from the same hash mark as Akers did anyways.
[ Edited by NCommand on Dec 4, 2012 at 6:54 PM ]
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Ya i ain't drinking the Roman kool-aid again this year

49ers - 20th in NFL in 3rd down conversions...25th in NFL in passing offense

Like i said lets zero in on a real OC for 2013 Patriots Josh McDaniels

He makes Roman look like a god.
Originally posted by BrianGO:
But just because a player CAN do something, doesn't automatically mean we should force a play for it.

The Crabtree TD was not a designed play. We have to let Kaep do what comes natural, instead of forcing it down his throat.

No, agreed. The blocking is the main issue, or cute formations. I know that they confuse defenses often but with this line's size I just don't see the need to be too cute.

I do agree with that...he is one of the better ones rolling to his left but overall, it's still a lower percentage throw esp. if you're rolling right into Staley's wheel house with only one receiving option and the backside doing the only blocking. Maybe a roll out to the right with AD and VD on that side with Miller and Gore blocking to that side (or one stay in to block a quick pursuit from the backside) and give him at least two receiving options...if neither are instantly there, he's got a convoy out in front of him and a chance to pick up the first down or at least, pick up a few more yards and stay in bounds to wind down the clock and still kick from the same hash mark as Akers did anyways.

Also agree. When you cut down the field the options are limited as well. I noticed they tried the throw back to VD that Smith used in the playoffs...roll right and throw back left. Unsuccessfully, it was covered and CK did not have an angle for a completion. They had a chance to pick up some needed yardage for the FG but were unable to gain a few yards. I don't care if people are spoiled and believe Akers should make ever 50 yard FG...it's still a long kick.
  • Eeks
  • Veteran
Why so many wishbone/3RB sets? Seemed like 40% of the plays. Rediculous!!
I think this game was the worst playcalling he has done. I think they meed to ditch the pistol and shotgun and go under center pro sets and i formation only as to keep play action viable. Kaepernick actually looks better under center. The Chicago game was all pro sets. No trickery. Roman waaaay too cute last sunday
Bad scientist, average scientist, inflexible scientist, overrated scientist, opportunistic scientist, limited scientist
[ Edited by Allx9er on Dec 4, 2012 at 8:16 PM ]

Also agree. When you cut down the field the options are limited as well. I noticed they tried the throw back to VD that Smith used in the playoffs...roll right and throw back left. Unsuccessfully, it was covered and CK did not have an angle for a completion. They had a chance to pick up some needed yardage for the FG but were unable to gain a few yards. I don't care if people are spoiled and believe Akers should make ever 50 yard FG...it's still a long kick.

I am so glad you saw that as well. I, literally, have been waiting for that play ALL YEAR long. We tried it and another variation of it with Walker for the dropped TD pass. I was absolutely blown away by how well VD was covered twice on that play and even Walker to a large degree. Sometimes you just have to tip your cap to the opponent; the Rams were all over it all three times and 9 out of 10 times that play worked for HUGE gains last year. I give Roman credit for finally calling that one three times...like the slants. Like I gave him for finally game planning to get VD the ball in creative fashion against the Bears. It's all the lapses and in between stuff that has me wondering if we can't do significantly better going forward, esp. in the passing game.

I even offered up having Roman game plan the run plays and someone else game plan the passing plays and then Harbaugh signing off on a game plan each week. Or hell, have Alex call his own plays like P.Manning (would love to see this - oh-well). Or when/if CK continues to develop, get to a point where Roman can provide suggestive plays and CK can make the calls in-game based on feel for the game (his experiences for how the defense is playing him/us). I'm at a loss. We just don't have a pro-style passing game to compliment our running game, defense and ST's.

We have CLEARLY been outcoached twice by the Giants and Rams, the Vikings, some close ones with the Hawks, etc. The fact that we're not learning (from our mistakes) is what scares me the most and has me very concerned; that and the fact that teams who can execute with a 4-3, have the blue print for beating us just about every time.
I just wish he would take every single little cutesie gadget play he has and throw em in the trash.

They just absolutely NEVER work. Even my lil sis realizes they don't work.

How can we all see it but Harbs and Roman seem to be blind to the fact?
  • FL9er
  • Veteran
When I watch the 49ers offensively it seems like they just throw a bunch of crap on the wall and seeing what sticks.
Originally posted by taney71:
Originally posted by monsterzero789:
I agree he may be the most overrated OC right now.

I can't believe I'm reading some of this stuff.

The guy called a bad game. Too much risk on the option, sure. Went too conservative on the last drive in OT? Yup.

But come on... he's been one of the most innovative playcallers of the last 1.5 years. The plethora of formations he throws at a defense...the ability to make AS look like a good QB...the list goes on and on. The guy has earned the benefit of the doubt.

Give it a rest.
Originally posted by Leathaface:
Originally posted by taney71:
Originally posted by monsterzero789:
I agree he may be the most overrated OC right now.

I can't believe I'm reading some of this stuff.

The guy called a bad game. Too much risk on the option, sure. Went too conservative on the last drive in OT? Yup.

But come on... he's been one of the most innovative playcallers of the last 1.5 years. The plethora of formations he throws at a defense...the ability to make AS look like a good QB...the list goes on and on. The guy has earned the benefit of the doubt.

Give it a rest.

Leatherface, I agree with you on his innovation and the use of formations and motion to create mismatches However, Roman has had some noticeable bonehead games this year. The Giants game and the first Rams game, Seattle, and this past weekend immediately come to mind where his playcalling has been really questionable and did not have the right offensive game plan in place. I don't think Roman sucks as an OC, I think he is a good OC but I think the media makes him out to be great and at this point, IMO, until playcalling makes the offense more fluid and consistent, I wouldn't put him in the great category of OC's just yet. However if he stays in the bay in 2-3 years the offense could get to that point. typically year 3 of the offense is where it all comes together fluidly.
Share 49ersWebzone