There are 159 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

The completeness of our team

Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Unless you're talking about hitting someone...then he would be compared to ballerinas! But returns and sticking to a receiver like glue...I agree, haven't ever seen anyone cover as well. But don't knock Wright...he was really good!

I know Wright was really good...However Sanders was an all time great and one of the best defensive players (if not the best) of his generation. You cannot say that about Wright
The late 80's team were the best and most balanced in 49er history. They could win any type of game, shootout, shutout, rock fight....
Greatest 49ers team of this century, but I stil think the 94 team was the most badass team of all time. If not for the 40-8 debacle against the Eagles, we'd probably go down as the top 5 best teams of all time. But Im sure a lot of the fans of the 89 team would disagree with me on that one.
This team is good. If we continue this rampage who knows how high the ceiling is.
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
This team is good. If we continue this rampage who knows how high the ceiling is.

Yeah, the Giants will be a good measuring stick. Not that they've beaten anyone significant, but they are still the defending champs. I expect a lot of love if we beat them soundly. Cant wait.
I hate the fact that we get no credit for crushing the spirits of the Packers and Lions. "They are not the team they were last year." Maybe because we stomped the confidence out of them. We didn't blow them out but we were completely dominant. When we send the Giants team into a tailspin we won't get credit for the same reason even though they are doing better this year from last. This team may not be the most balanced, but we don't get enough credit. Sure we get some respect from the talking heads now, but not enough. I even saw a whole segment on the NFC west that went into detail about the hawks, cards, and rams and then at the end they said, oh and the 49ers as well and ended it. Jets were doing fine until we stomped them. I'm rambling i'm going to stop now.
Originally posted by fryet:
I am not 100% convinced on our passing game yet, but a few more games like the Bills will win me over. I do remember the passing game not getting it done against the Vikings. But we are still a phenomenally balanced team. The Steve Young SB team is probably our best team, although special teams was much weaker than this team. But I can see this team surpassing that team, if our passing game can take it to the next level.

a few more 45 to 3 games and your on board ?
Originally posted by pdizo916:
We are one elite receiver away from being a good team....

I agree with that !
  • fryet
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 3-BALL:
Originally posted by fryet:
I am not 100% convinced on our passing game yet, but a few more games like the Bills will win me over. I do remember the passing game not getting it done against the Vikings. But we are still a phenomenally balanced team. The Steve Young SB team is probably our best team, although special teams was much weaker than this team. But I can see this team surpassing that team, if our passing game can take it to the next level.

a few more 45 to 3 games and your on board ?

Yes, but it also needs to include 300 yards passing. (: Seriously, though, the 49ers passing game looked very different in the Bills game. I haven't seen the 49ers be so effective passing the ball, the WR as open, as I did in that game. If the 49ers pass near that efficiently on a frequent basis going forward, I would be willing to say this team is the best 49er team of all time. But the bar is pretty high with Joe and Steve in our past. For now, I would rate the 49ers like the following:

Rush Defense: Elite
Pass Defense: Elite (not as good as rush defense, but still top 5 which would qualify as elite)
Special Teams: Good (Elite last year, but coverage is weaker)
Rushing Offense: Elite
Passing Offense: Average (hard to factor in the value of not throwing INT)

Passing Offense is borderline Good right now, so that is why I am curious to see how they play the next few games. I want the passing offense to be able to dominate teams when the 49ers choose to go pass heavy in a gameplan. Passing offense also needs to be able to come back and win games when they are behind in the 4th quarter. The only time we have tried this was the Viking game, and we all know how that turned out. Passing offense couldn't carry the team, and in the 4th we had opportunities to make it at least a one score game, and failed to do so.
No, it's not too early. My original post said for any team that had ever played at least 5 games, and we have played 5 games, thusly meeting the qualification I had originally set forth and not being too early. If I said for an entire season, then yes, you'd be correct. But I would be SHOCKED if any other team ever that had a sample of at least 5 games into a season had the BEST Pass O, Run O, Pass D, Run D, AND overall/scoring D (and even kicking, punting, long-snapping). We are statistically the best team in the NFL at ALL that s**t with the one technical statistical exception of run D but in reality that's the strongest aspect of our team and has been LEGENDARY for years!
Originally posted by DaveWilcox:
The late 80's team were the best and most balanced in 49er history. They could win any type of game, shootout, shutout, rock fight....

No, the late 80's teams were not the #1 team in rushing offense. Nor do I think they were ever # ONE in scoring D, pass D, etc...guys, you're missing my point. My point is not that we're GOOD at every aspect of football (because yes, then previous teams, even previous Niners teams, would qualify). My point is that so far we're the BEST at every aspect of football. Not decent, not solid, not good, not great. The best. Número Uno. El mejor.
  • fryet
  • Veteran
Originally posted by lordfangio:
No, the late 80's teams were not the #1 team in rushing offense. Nor do I think they were ever # ONE in scoring D, pass D, etc...guys, you're missing my point. My point is not that we're GOOD at every aspect of football (because yes, then previous teams, even previous Niners teams, would qualify). My point is that so far we're the BEST at every aspect of football. Not decent, not solid, not good, not great. The best. Número Uno. El mejor.

We are not the best passing team in the NFL except in not making mistakes. I do think we are the best rushing team. Defensively, you could argue that we are the best in both pass defense and rush defense, although strong cases could also be made for other teams in one of those areas like Seattle and Dallas. For special teams, we probably have the best combo kicker/punter, but our coverage teams have played rather poorly this year, so I definitely wouldn't consider us the best there (although I admit I don't know if other teams collectively do better in the areas of kick/punt/coverage than we do). We are really good, but I just don't want to be a homer and say that we are #1 in all areas yet.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Faraz80:
Greatest 49ers team of this century, but I stil think the 94 team was the most badass team of all time. If not for the 40-8 debacle against the Eagles, we'd probably go down as the top 5 best teams of all time. But Im sure a lot of the fans of the 89 team would disagree with me on that one.

the 1985 team that beat miami in the super bowl was the best team we ever had in terms of balence,,, we also did not have to buy a bunch of free agents to win a title like they did in 94
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
This is a pretty good team, but we have more to show before we can seriously entertain this discussion. Many great 49ers teams have already been mentioned. In order to enter the discussion, we at least have to show our muscle against some of the powerhouse teams of 2012 and return to the NFC Championship game.

Many people want Smith to prove himself by winning a SB but Harbaugh also needs to prove himself in that regard. Not everyone remains level headed and is able to be calm in a championship run. Some of the cute calls made in the NYG game last year may have lacked judgement as it was wet.
no specific plays mentioned but its initials are a reverse in the rain
Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by Faraz80:

the 1985 team that beat miami in the super bowl was the best team we ever had in terms of balence,,, we also did not have to buy a bunch of free agents to win a title like they did in 94

Then the argument becomes which decade had the tougher competition. Were the Cowboys and Packers of the 90s tougher than the Giants / Redskins / Bears of the 80s (and I wont count the 85 Bears bc they were on their own level). In my opinion, I feel that the 90s teams were specifically molded to play against the Niners. Holmgren obviously knew our playbook, and Jerry Jones went out and built a defense to counter our offensive attack. Thats why I always have a special spot for the 94 team.