There are 59 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Defensive Line Pressure

Originally posted by LoneWolf:
sometimes he gets persuaded out into light coverage (which needs serious work).

Yeah, there's something to that. He's made tremendous strides in the off season, but he's still learning the NFL game and I'd suggest he's still thinking a bit too much rather than feeling the flow of the play/following his instincts. It comes down to experience, which he doesn't have a wealth of yet. It'll come in time, provided he keeps his head screwed on straight.
Originally posted by BubbaParisMVP:
Yeah, there's something to that. He's made tremendous strides in the off season, but he's still learning the NFL game and I'd suggest he's still thinking a bit too much rather than feeling the flow of the play/following his instincts. It comes down to experience, which he doesn't have a wealth of yet. It'll come in time, provided he keeps his head screwed on straight.

And with the teammates as close as they are i think it will be rather helpful for him getting his head on straight.
Originally posted by ruthless49er:
I read a Profootballfocus report about how Justin isnt playing at the level he was last year. I kinda agree. He still makes those monsterous plays but maybe hes just being asked to tie up blockers more than before. He still cant be moved off the ball, just not getting as much penetration as were used to seeing from him. Hopefully that will change as the season goes on

Agree, I think that has to do with gameplan though, Issac get what 5 snaps a game, most teams have been trying to spread us out, and we play more defensive backs because of it. We also don't send the house like those other teams to create pressure, we send 3 or 4 and maybe cb blitz to mix it up. But were really not a blitz team, and im glad were not, we getting eating alive in the backend.

It's Four on Six 1/2, The tightend chips brooks, The running back stays in to help block, because you really don't like the match up of him on willis or bowman. So that means less guys to cover and more guys to cover with. Teams have to do that because they can't run, and get forced to throw, so it's like pick your posion and either way your going to lose!
[ Edited by TheGoldDiggerrrr on Oct 9, 2012 at 11:25 PM ]
And with the teammates as close as they are i think it will be rather helpful for him getting his head on straight.

That's my hope too.
We are getting pressure (disrupting passes) and stopping the run, dont need negative yards when almost all plays are 3 and outs.

I see also of disruption in the pass rush. Opposing QB's are being flushed and although they are not getting sacked as much as we all would like they are being forced to throw into a defense that drops 8. I believe that can be just as confusing to a offensive coordinator as a blitz package.
wow we really have not sent more then 5 on any plays this season? What about when Rodgers sacked Rodgers? Was it only Carlos and the line?

rogers
Originally posted by 49erswillbeback:
We are getting pressure (disrupting passes) and stopping the run, dont need negative yards when almost all plays are 3 and outs.

I see also of disruption in the pass rush. Opposing QB's are being flushed and although they are not getting sacked as much as we all would like they are being forced to throw into a defense that drops 8. I believe that can be just as confusing to a offensive coordinator as a blitz package.

I couldn't disagree more with the OP.

Teams game plan for our pass rush unlike anything I have ever seen before. Our pressure was absolutely monsterous in the Minnesota game. Ponder had to run for his life just to throw the ball. He was able to do it, unlike the other quarterbacks we have played. Good for him, but to say we didn't get pressure because Ponder ran out of the pocket and made plays?

The reason we get so many 3n'outs against teams, is because the quarterback goes into the game thinking about getting rid of the ball as fast as he can, which makes his job much more difficult. It leads to some easy interceptions and 3n'outs.

Fitzpatrick had thrown the most TD's in the NFL, yet he threw zero against us.

Team's don't gameplan to get their ass kicked by our pass rush. They're not going to try 7 step drops and sit in the pocket, If they tried that, they would get killed. They stick with the quick outs, WR screens, and check downs. Quarterbacks sometimes have time when we inexplicably rush three, and sometimes when Aldon is in coverage, but besides that, we are all over the quarterback all day long.
[ Edited by BrianGO on Oct 10, 2012 at 2:20 AM ]
You know...not to knock anyone for sharing their thoughts. But are you guys serious with the nitpicking??? Not enough sacks????

They get great pressure...and most times...getting pressure has zero to do with getting a sack. It has MORE to do with forcing an errant throw, batted balls, hurries, QB knockdowns, QB hits, forcing them to scramble, making them totally uncomfortable within their mindframe so their decision making is slowed because they're so worried about a collapsing pocket. QB's NEED rhythm to succeed. Truthfully Ponder had very little but was able to make plays with his feet to bail him out. No QB that has played the 49ers this season has been able to fall into any type of steady rhythm within a game. Its essential for an offense to flourish...as seen by the Buffalo game. Smith was back there baking apple pies until he found the receiver he wanted. Fitzpatrick wasn't. Hence the difference in the performance between the two.

You nitpickers really gotta get your heads out of the NFL stat leaderboards and into the ebb and flow of a game. Most individual stats will skew your thinking into believing something is better or worse than it really is.
Originally posted by BrianGO:
Originally posted by 49erswillbeback:

I couldn't disagree more with the OP.

Teams game plan for our pass rush unlike anything I have ever seen before. Our pressure was absolutely monsterous in the Minnesota game. Ponder had to run for his life just to throw the ball. He was able to do it, unlike the other quarterbacks we have played. Good for him, but to say we didn't get pressure because Ponder ran out of the pocket and made plays?

The reason we get so many 3n'outs against teams, is because the quarterback goes into the game thinking about getting rid of the ball as fast as he can, which makes his job much more difficult. It leads to some easy interceptions and 3n'outs.

Fitzpatrick had thrown the most TD's in the NFL, yet he threw zero against us.

Team's don't gameplan to get their ass kicked by our pass rush. They're not going to try 7 step drops and sit in the pocket, If they tried that, they would get killed. They stick with the quick outs, WR screens, and check downs. Quarterbacks sometimes have time when we inexplicably rush three, and sometimes when Aldon is in coverage, but besides that, we are all over the quarterback all day long.

Right on bro. Didn't see this before I replied, but totally agree 1000%.
Sounds like most of you have it right. Lots of Nickel and 4 man rushes. Even when we send a CB or ILB, a DE often drops in coverage. We have played a TON of Nickel D against everyone but Minnesota so far. When in Nickel D, those DL still have to keep an eye out for draws, screens, and slashes. Aldon hasn't lost anything... he was hesitant vs the Vikes when he was an OLB in our base 3-4 though.

I think we are getting good pressure with the 4 man rushes... BUT... Fangio often has our coverage playing in soft cushions. This gives QBs an easy and quick way of beating our pass rush. Dink-dunk-tackle and the bend-don't-break. It's irritating at times to slowly bleed out.. but sometimes it works.

Overall, there's no reason to be concerned. But we can afford to play more aggressively than we are. Be interesting to see if we go that route.
Maybe we aren't getting as much pressure up front this season but thats to be expected after how much chaos they caused to opposing qb's last season. What I love about this defense and the coaches is that they anticipated that, game planned for it, and our secondary has raised its level of play so that our defense has remained elite. Bunch of azz kickers back there and its time they get the credit they deserve! Last season it all went to the front 7! The guys on the back end of this defense are all REALLY good too!
Pretty much already explained but also the way Harbs mind works he'd rather have more turnovers and forcing a QB to throw under pressure especially QBs like Sanchez and Fitzpatrick are bound to get more interceptions. I'm pretty sure we wouldn't treat Brady or Mannings the same. But we shall see this week