LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 269 users in the forums

Who is More Consistent: Frank Gore or Kendall Hunter?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • fryet
  • Veteran
I would be interested in this comparison. First half carries only. First and ten (not first and goal or first and 20). Then do a comparison between hunter and gore. I think that would eliminate alot of the game situation differences, although it would greatly reduce the sample size.
Originally posted by nickbradley:
Originally posted by PA9erFaithful:
Is there a point to all of this or did you go through all of this mental masturbation just to stave off boredom?

you didn't read. More Carries for hunter. Fresh Gore in January. 2013, and 2014.

You prefer to run him into the ground

Gore is only getting 16 carries a game, its fine the way it is
  • jrg
  • Veteran
Originally posted by IWASATTHECATCH:
All time leading rusher for the franchise vs a career 325 yard rusher?

Hmmm? Gonna have to get back to you on that one.

PS- KH IS bad-a$$, btw, IMHO, tbph, fwiw

^that
Time to math this b***h up. One way to take the next step towards seeing who is a more consistent runner (in a purely statistical sense), is to subtract their longest run from each of game and recalculate the yards per attempt. It's not exactly accurate, but it would stand to reason that the more consistent runner would see less of a drop, if any, to their overall YPA.

So after taking that into account, Gore has about 4.2 YPA while Hunter has about 4.0 YPA. This might not mean anything though. Due to rounding to the tenth on all calculations, the margin of error is by that much so it's possible that they could be pretty much equal. If anyone wants to see what I did, let me know and I'll post it.

Yes I'm bored, I'm sick today.
3 Carries for zero yards followed by a 20 yard run equals 5 ypc.

so I looked deeper. And applied methods. And I find that the coefficient of variation for Hunter is lower than Gores.

And you look at averages of averages. That's stupid

I've seen posters on this site use stats to show why Alex Smith is a better deep ball thrower than Drew Brees. I could really care less about your in depth statistical analysis, which in the end is just going to give you whatever result you want to find.

All you really need to do is watch 49er games to answer your question. Frank Gore has been ran up into the teeth of an 8 man box for his entire 8 year career and has maintained good production. Kendal Hunter gets to come in as relief for the guy that the entire opposing defense has gameplanned to stop all week and has had less consisent production (See YPC game by game).

Frank Gore only has 3 carries of 20 yards or more and Hunter has 1 so thats hardly a huge diversion.

Frank Gore gets the lions share of goal line and short yardage carries which by their very nature lower a runners YPC and yet is still maintaining the same YPC as Hunter. I don't know how you could argue that his backup is more consistent than he is but whatever I've already decided I don't agree with you so lets just leave it at that.
I'm not really sure where this thread is trying to go. If the OP is just trying to highlight the fact that we have two outstanding backs in KH and FG, I completely agree,

If the OP is trying to imply that KH is better than Frank and should be starting I say "you crazy."

Based on popular perceptions, more observers would say that Frank Gore is a more 'consistent' running back. 'Consistent' here is defined as more runs clustered near their average. In other words, a running back with two rushes for six yards each is more consistent than a running back with two carries - one for zero yards and one for 12 yards.

But upon closer inspection, Kendall Hunter is the more consistent running back -- Frank Gore is the home-run threat! Let's look at just running plays first.

Frank Gore has 80 carries for 432 yards. Kendall Hunter - 37 carries for 201 yards. On pure average, Gore gets 5.4 yards per attempt, with hunter getting 5.43. Basically Identical.

But what are the distribution of those carries? For Gore, his standard deviation is 6.012. Hunter - 5.475. Their coefficients of variation (CV), therefore, are 1.13 for Gore and 1.008 for Hunter. This measures dispersion, 0 would mean all observances are the same value.

So in the running game, Kendall Hunter is, statistically-speaking, 10.5% more consistent than Frank Gore.

What if we include passing targets? Gore has 89 combined carries and targets, 5.29 per attempt. Hunter has 41 combined carries and targets, 5.46 per attempt. Looking at the distribution, Gore has an SD of 5.93 - Hunter has an SD of 5.42. Looking at the CVs, Gore's is 1.12, while Hunter is 0.99. So in the total game, Kendall Hunter is, statistically-speaking, 12.8% more consistent than Frank Gore.

Combined with a higher per-attempt average (3.25% to be exact), ** the case to increase Hunter's snaps is even stronger...statistically-speaking of course.

You could make the case that the defense keys on the run when Gore is in the play, sure. But in a pure, apples-to-apples statistical analysis, Gore is no better than Hunter, period...even a little less effective because Hunter is (1) more consistent in the running and passing game and (2) more productive in the passing game.

So you can see the data yourself, check out the spreadsheet:

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B2Eu1DDN514kUUQwa2FHdkxTaWc

UGH this is becoming like a science project...almost like baseball now....
  • Garce
  • Veteran
Kendall avging 5.4 ypc
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
You've got two things that mess with your stats here, IMO.

The first is sample size. Gore's is much larger.

The second is situational data. You can't just look at isolated statistics in football like this... too many variables.

Also, your definition of "consistent" seems odd to me. What exactly is the point? Would you say that Barry Sanders was a good running back or a bad one?
  • obx49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SashRoxx-1:

Based on popular perceptions, more observers would say that Frank Gore is a more 'consistent' running back. 'Consistent' here is defined as more runs clustered near their average. In other words, a running back with two rushes for six yards each is more consistent than a running back with two carries - one for zero yards and one for 12 yards.

But upon closer inspection, Kendall Hunter is the more consistent running back -- Frank Gore is the home-run threat! Let's look at just running plays first.

Frank Gore has 80 carries for 432 yards. Kendall Hunter - 37 carries for 201 yards. On pure average, Gore gets 5.4 yards per attempt, with hunter getting 5.43. Basically Identical.

But what are the distribution of those carries? For Gore, his standard deviation is 6.012. Hunter - 5.475. Their coefficients of variation (CV), therefore, are 1.13 for Gore and 1.008 for Hunter. This measures dispersion, 0 would mean all observances are the same value.

So in the running game, Kendall Hunter is, statistically-speaking, 10.5% more consistent than Frank Gore.

What if we include passing targets? Gore has 89 combined carries and targets, 5.29 per attempt. Hunter has 41 combined carries and targets, 5.46 per attempt. Looking at the distribution, Gore has an SD of 5.93 - Hunter has an SD of 5.42. Looking at the CVs, Gore's is 1.12, while Hunter is 0.99. So in the total game, Kendall Hunter is, statistically-speaking, 12.8% more consistent than Frank Gore.

Combined with a higher per-attempt average (3.25% to be exact), ** the case to increase Hunter's snaps is even stronger...statistically-speaking of course.

You could make the case that the defense keys on the run when Gore is in the play, sure. But in a pure, apples-to-apples statistical analysis, Gore is no better than Hunter, period...even a little less effective because Hunter is (1) more consistent in the running and passing game and (2) more productive in the passing game.

So you can see the data yourself, check out the spreadsheet:

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B2Eu1DDN514kUUQwa2FHdkxTaWc

UGH this is becoming like a science project...almost like baseball now....

Looking at pure statistics your point hits the mark. However, you have to take into account what are/is the circumstances/situation that is ocurring during the game at the time they get a respective carry. For instance, 3rd and short when defenses stack the box to stop the run, draw plays on 3rd and long when defenses are usually in a dime or nickel defense, goal line situations where it may take two or three tries to get in the end zone...etc,etc. IMO, just by observation only, Gore and Hunter have very similar styles and would most likely have very similar production given the same exact opportunity.

Share 49ersWebzone