LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 294 users in the forums

Who is More Consistent: Frank Gore or Kendall Hunter?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by jreff22:

jumbo package

I didn't say I want to bench gore!
Originally posted by nickbradley:

jumbo package

I didn't say I want to bench gore!

it answers your question because you aren't taking into account plays being called

3 early runs on the goal line in the jumbo....even if he scores its only 1 yard
it answers your question because you aren't taking into account plays being called

You want me to scrub those out? Anything ran inside the 5?

You want me to scrub those out? Anything ran inside the 5?
that would be better IMO.

OK - let me see.

For the record, in week 1 Hunter had a TD called back in the Jumbo package from the 9. They called him down on the half yard line

Alright jreff22 -

I've screened out all plays inside of the 5 yard line. If you do that, Gore has a YPC of 5.83, Hunter is 5.65. However, Gore's CV is 1.048, Hunter's is 0.98. In other words, Hunter is 6.9% more consistent between the tackles and 3% less effective -- as far as YPC goes.

So you still have no argument
There's really only one way to tell. Who's the better pass protector? Thats the only thing you can really compare the two backs on and its Frank by 12 football fields. Consistency when referring to production all depends on what type of run was called, when it was called, and what down it was called on.

Frank is by far the superior player and IMO probably shouldn't be compared to the guy who backs him. Not yet atleast. As if there was ever really a question as to who is more consistent. Frank is a beast and as I stated before the season started, he'll end up gettin MORE yards than last season on less carries and is still on pace to do that if I'm not mistaken.
Statistically, Gore hasn't done any better on Goal-line carries than Hunter.
Originally posted by NinerG94:
There's really only one way to tell. Who's the better pass protector? Thats the only thing you can really compare the two backs on and its Frank by 12 football fields. Consistency when referring to production all depends on what type of run was called, when it was called, and what down it was called on.

Frank is by far the superior player and IMO probably shouldn't be compared to the guy who backs him. Not yet atleast. As if there was ever really a question as to who is more consistent. Frank is a beast and as I stated before the season started, he'll end up gettin MORE yards than last season on less carries and is still on pace to do that if I'm not mistaken.

Again, like I said the other day:

- I want to keep Frankie for as long as possible. So, I want to reduce his carries. And so, I'm arguing that we lose nothing in running or pass-catching with Hunter (maybe even pick up a bit with receiving skills).

- As far as blocking goes - yes Hunter needs to get better. But he didn't cost us a 50 yard pass to Crabtree with a CHOP BLOCK either.

- Hunter is much better at catching screen passes, which helps in pass protection.

- Also, Hunter is a VERY GOOD pass protector.

• Axl49
  • Veteran
Kendall is the home run threat not gore. Gore and AP MJD are the last of the real RB left in the league. They beat your ass up all game long and make u submit. Hunter has explosive speed and is insane how he hits the whole and vision for his size. His time will come soon. Gore is the leader since in the league of runs of 10 yards or more. THAT is consistent.
Originally posted by Axl49:
Kendall is the home run threat not gore. Gore and AP MJD are the last of the real RB left in the league. They beat your ass up all game long and make u submit. Hunter has explosive speed and is insane how he hits the whole and vision for his size. His time will come soon. Gore is the leader since in the league of runs of 10 yards or more. THAT is consistent.

So, you totally ignored my post? Like I said, Hunter has more consistent runs. Gore is more of a Home-Run threat. Take out Gore's 7 runs inside the 5, and Hunter's 2, and Hunter is still more consistent, albeit with a yards per carry average that's 3% lower.

And again, I'm not making an argument that Hunter is better than Gore, God no. What I am saying is that Hunter is almost as good as him, and we don't lose very much when Hunter is in there. As a result, we need to get the ball to Hunter more.
  • Axl49
  • Veteran

So, you totally ignored my post? Like I said, Hunter has more consistent runs. Gore is more of a Home-Run threat. Take out Gore's 7 runs inside the 5, and Hunter's 2, and Hunter is still more consistent, albeit with a yards per carry average that's 3% lower.

And again, I'm not making an argument that Hunter is better than Gore, God no. What I am saying is that Hunter is almost as good as him, and we don't lose very much when Hunter is in there. As a result, we need to get the ball to Hunter more.

Didnt ignore just said the league leader in 10 yards runs every year if that isnt consistent idk what is. Thats a first down. I love Hunter cant wait till he starter but Gore for me is more consistent day in day out but he is also the starter and hunter isnt so that hurts hunter.
Didnt ignore just said the league leader in 10 yards runs every year if that isnt consistent idk what is. Thats a first down. I love Hunter cant wait till he starter but Gore for me is more consistent day in day out but he is also the starter and hunter isnt so that hurts hunter.

Past years' performance is no guide.

Also, 2 5-yard carries beats 1 10 yard carry and 1 0 yard carry.

* A running back who averages 5 yards a carry and actually gets 5 yards on every single carry is the best RB in the NFL.
  • Axl49
  • Veteran
Past years' performance is no guide.

Also, 2 5-yard carries beats 1 10 yard carry and 1 0 yard carry.

* A running back who averages 5 yards a carry and actually gets 5 yards on every single carry is the best RB in the NFL.

To me gore still the guy this year alone he has more big plays consistently. Shows up consistently Hunter is right behind him again hunter will get this just imo not quite there yet this year.
Share 49ersWebzone