LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 249 users in the forums

Who is More Consistent: Frank Gore or Kendall Hunter?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Great 1-2 punch combination with gore and hunter. Then the big man Jacobs will be back on the field to help get those tough yards and then some. 49ers are ranked #1 with rushing yards.
[ Edited by NinerTeam on Oct 8, 2012 at 3:12 PM ]
I love Gore but lately even with his great vision he seems to run into the contact instead of the open field, BUT, he's been productive so it's all good...

But he should've had a couple more TD's under his belt this season

Hunter on the other hand, shows flat out speed and agility + the vision, almost every time we put him in he's just covering more and more ground, I lost it when he busted us out of that 3rd and 10 backed up against our endzone, talk about a bailout
[ Edited by rEspEctdA49ers on Oct 8, 2012 at 3:16 PM ]
  • buck
  • Veteran
It is hard to compare Gore and Hunter when Gore has been in the league so much longer than Hunter.

But, the notion, a notion that many articulate, that Hunter will not function well as a primary back has little merit.
  • vaden
  • Veteran
All I know is my eyeball test says Gore is markedly better. I thought Hunter would close the gap this year, and he has improved a lot, but Gore has catapulted to a level I haven't seen him at since his early seasons.
Gore is on pace For 1400 yards on 250 carries.
Originally posted by nickbradley:
Gore is on pace For 1400 yards on 250 carries.

More yards. Less carries. Better health. We like.
Originally posted by nickbradley:
Originally posted by jreff22:
that would be better IMO.

Alright jreff22 -

I've screened out all plays inside of the 5 yard line. If you do that, Gore has a YPC of 5.83, Hunter is 5.65. However, Gore's CV is 1.048, Hunter's is 0.98. In other words, Hunter is 6.9% more consistent between the tackles and 3% less effective -- as far as YPC goes.

So you still have no argument

How not, Gore has a higher YPC. And there are still other aspects that can be looked at. Number of carries is a big factor, its easier to run when you are fresher and the D has been beat up by the other guy.
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
I'll be happy to play as soon as you tell me which one of your kids you love more...

LOL
Gore is obviously the more consistent runner. But Hunter is a great change of pace back and that takes some adjusting by the defense. The defense starts to get a feel for Gores speed and style and then Bam, Hunter for 20 yds on a pitch with the speed and explosiveness they just were not ready for. If the roles were reversed, I promise you would be screaming for Gore to be starting after 1 game.
Gore is obviously the more consistent runner. But Hunter is a great change of pace back and that takes some adjusting by the defense. The defense starts to get a feel for Gores speed and style and then Bam, Hunter for 20 yds on a pitch with the speed and explosiveness they just were not ready for. If the roles were reversed, I promise you would be screaming for Gore to be starting after just 1 game.

Gore of course.....I just bought his jersey....
LOL. Gore has been one of the most consistent backs in the league over his career. Gore is an old man by RB standards and is still far and away the best RB on this team. He is having argueably the best season of his career this year. Having said all that Hunter is a very capable back in his own right. But there is no comparisson, gore is the best RB to wear red and gold.
Way too much math going on here.
I wanna see hunter in that jumbo package.. with all those big bodies in there he can slip through those tight spaces and could get lost in the pile and bounce it to the outside..
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
i haven't seen gore dive into the endzone like he did on Sunday in, forever! Seems Hunter is lighting a fire under his ass.
Share 49ersWebzone