There are 251 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

What is wrong with our ST coverage units?

Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
I'd rather have Colin Jones than a 7th round pick. Especially after seeing this year....

This. Colin Jones was the perfect gunner and instead this team kept like 5 RB's and a crapload of WR's.....not a fan of that move.
Special Teams coverage has really fallen off this year. We should have kept Costanzo over Gooden, and C. Jones over McBath. It's not like Gooden or McBath see any time with the defense anyways. Also, Cartwright probably should have been kept over Dixon. Dixon is not a good special teamer, and only see's time with the offense in blowouts.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
I'd rather have Colin Jones than a 7th round pick. Especially after seeing this year....

This. Colin Jones was the perfect gunner and instead this team kept like 5 RB's and a crapload of WR's.....not a fan of that move.

Agreed. I think that move hurt the most. He was always the first one to meet the returner. Even if he didn't make the tackle, he would disrupt his progress upfield and prevent a big gain.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
I'd rather have Colin Jones than a 7th round pick. Especially after seeing this year....

This. Colin Jones was the perfect gunner and instead this team kept like 5 RB's and a crapload of WR's.....not a fan of that move.


Jones ran something like a 4.35. And he was a sure handed tackler. Our special teamers are slow. And they tackle terribly.
Originally posted by SofaKing:
Special Teams coverage has really fallen off this year. We should have kept Costanzo over Gooden, and C. Jones over McBath. It's not like Gooden or McBath see any time with the defense anyways. Also, Cartwright probably should have been kept over Dixon. Dixon is not a good special teamer, and only see's time with the offense in blowouts.

probably this... not sure where dixon got the good st label. I think the #1 reason though is Costanzo. Then Jones. Spillman has regressed... i see a lot of guys diving and missing tackles as they catch the ball instead of breaking down. last year's unit was outstanding and they were just a joy to watch... might be time to lose dixon, mcbath, haggins (if we wont use him) or leonard davis (put looney in) for a special teamer... wonder if there are any good ones out there?
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Oct 14, 2012 at 5:40 PM ]
Originally posted by Gore_21:
probably this... not sure where dixon got the good st label. I think the #1 reason though is Costanzo. Then Jones. Spillman has regressed... i see a lot of guys diving and missing tackles as they catch the ball instead of breaking down. last year's unit was outstanding and they were just a joy to watch... might be time to lose dixon, mcbath, haggins (if we wont use him) or leonard davis (put looney in) for a special teamer... wonder if there are any good ones out there?

Rock Cartwright is still around.