LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 288 users in the forums

What is wrong with our ST coverage units?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
they still alright
Special teams
25 -- Demarcus Dobbs
20 -- Darcel McBath
18 -- Anthony Dixon, Larry Grant, Tavares Gooden, C.J. Spillman,
16 -- Tramaine Brock
15 -- David Akers
14 -- Eric Bakhtiari
9 -- Andy Lee, Brian Jennings, Daniel Kilgore, Chris Culliver
11 -- Will Tukuafu
10 -- Bruce Miller, Delanie Walker
7 -- Alex Boone, Anthony Davis, Mike Iupati, Joe Staley, Leonard Davis, Ted Ginn
4 -- Dashon Goldson, Perrish Cox3 -- Dashon Goldson
2 -- Kyle Williams, Tarell Brown, Ray McDonald, NaVorro Bowman, Aldon Smith, Patrick Willis, Ricky Jean Francois, Ahmad Brooks, Ricky Jean Francois
[ Edited by jreff22 on Oct 8, 2012 at 10:48 AM ]
We let Constanzo walk because we couldn't afford to pay a special teams player only over a million dollars a year for multiple seasons. Constanzo is a very good special teams player but he has no versatility. He can't play safety and sometimes you have to make tough salary cap/personel decisions.
Originally posted by ChazBoner:
Costanzo and Jones.

This

I knew it was going to come back & haunt us
Originally posted by SanFranFanfrmVa:
We let Constanzo walk because we couldn't afford to pay a special teams player only over a million dollars a year for multiple seasons. Constanzo is a very good special teams player but he has no versatility. He can't play safety and sometimes you have to make tough salary cap/personel decisions.

Safety? wasnt he a linebacker
do they still play tony montana? all i hear now is that dumb THX sound effect. that's probably the reason
The ST are the biggest concern at this point ... ...
Originally posted by pakalolo415:
do they still play tony montana? all i hear now is that dumb THX sound effect. that's probably the reason

I was at the game yesterday and I didn't hear it once.... I even asked the guys around me and they said no.
swear I heard it yesterday.. its not the same though
bring back Costanzo

Anyone see our two players holding hands for punt return blocking? I thought that was illegal but they basically clotheslined a dude. It got a chuckle out of me.
Originally posted by Tru2RedNGold25:
This

I knew it was going to come back & haunt us

I wouldn't say its "haunted" us, but we went from one of the best ST units in the league to a mediocre one.
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by izrath:
Anyone see our two players holding hands for punt return blocking? I thought that was illegal but they basically clotheslined a dude. It got a chuckle out of me.

lots of teams do that. It's only illegal if there's penetration. surriously though, it's only illegal if 3 or more form a wall. 2 is fine.
There's nothing wrong with our Special Teams! We've played elite ST units, according to FotballOutsiders.com:

GB - 7th
DET - 31st
MIN - 1st
NYJ - 8th or higher (after last night)
BUF - 11th

With the exception of Detroit, we've played great special teams units. And you take out the TD return by GB that should have been called back and we're better.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SanFranFanfrmVa:
Yes but who did they replace him with. when you let someone, anyone walk,, you better have a plan to bring in someone who is as good or better than the person you just cut. i was fine thinking rock cartwright would be that man but they cut him and kept dixon who only sees the field as a back when its a blow out and in my opinion is slow as hell on special teams.people can pooh pooh this all they want but i tell you this is going to hurt us in a big game. They cut or traded good people and the people replacing them have failed in my opinion
Share 49ersWebzone