LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 122 users in the forums

What is wrong with our ST coverage units?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Frisco69ers:
bring back Costanzo

you can not, he is with the bears i think
Originally posted by ChazBoner:
lots of teams do that. It's only illegal if there's penetration. surriously though, it's only illegal if 3 or more form a wall. 2 is fine.

Ah thanks for clarifying
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
Patrick Peterson is gonna take at LEAST one to the house on us this season.
Really miss Rock and Costanzo. Especially Constanzo.
Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by SanFranFanfrmVa:
We let Constanzo walk because we couldn't afford to pay a special teams player only over a million dollars a year for multiple seasons. Constanzo is a very good special teams player but he has no versatility. He can't play safety and sometimes you have to make tough salary cap/personel decisions.
Yes but who did they replace him with. when you let someone, anyone walk,, you better have a plan to bring in someone who is as good or better than the person you just cut. i was fine thinking rock cartwright would be that man but they cut him and kept dixon who only sees the field as a back when its a blow out and in my opinion is slow as hell on special teams.people can pooh pooh this all they want but i tell you this is going to hurt us in a big game. They cut or traded good people and the people replacing them have failed in my opinion

They replaced him with Jenkins, LMJ, Williams... The team made the decision that talented youth was more important than STers who would never contribute outside of coverage units. This decision was reinforced by the rule changes to kickoffs. Now that only hardly any kickoffs get returned, the importance of the coverage unit is cut in half.

I'm sure they didn't anticipate it being this bad, but there actually was some logic behind it.
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Whomeam:

Rock? he was barely on the team. Colin Jones and Costanzo were our top ST players and they let both of them go.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Whomeam:

Rock? he was barely on the team. Colin Jones and Costanzo were our top ST players and they let both of them go.
i miss what i think rock would have brought to the table.... if that makes any sense
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Patrick Peterson is gonna take at LEAST one to the house on us this season.

yes,, it will probably take something like that for people to wake and understand our special teams coverage is not good
Still early..lost two guys from last year...we haven't had any reps the last two games
I know we traded Jones for a draft pick, but what did Costanzo sign for as a FA? Should have kept him and let someone else go.
[ Edited by WildBill on Oct 9, 2012 at 5:23 PM ]

Well maybe cutting Colin Jones and Blake Costanzo so we could keep tons of RB's, WR's, DL guys who never play wasn't such a good idea....
Originally posted by WildBill:
I know we traded Jones for a draft pick, but what did Costanzo sign for as a FA? Should have kept him and let someone else go.

I'd rather have Colin Jones than a 7th round pick. Especially after seeing this year....
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Well maybe cutting Colin Jones and Blake Costanzo so we could keep tons of RB's, WR's, DL guys who never play wasn't such a good idea....

Yeah it was a stupid idea.

We may also need a new kicker.
Originally posted by nickbradley:
There's nothing wrong with our Special Teams! We've played elite ST units, according to FotballOutsiders.com:

GB - 7th
DET - 31st
MIN - 1st
NYJ - 8th or higher (after last night)
BUF - 11th

With the exception of Detroit, we've played great special teams units. And you take out the TD return by GB that should have been called back and we're better.

Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:

Yeah it was a stupid idea.

We may also need a new kicker.

Man our special teams was dominant last year. This year it sucks. Guys return it 70 yards every week. And we are missing FG's. We have even had return guys hurt. A huge strength I think has turned dramatically to weakness. Last year was Defense + Special Teams + great Coaching + don't turn it over. Somewhow I think we lost that formula. Our special teams does not put us in good positions this year.
Share 49ersWebzone