There are 274 users in the forums

Week 4: Thoughts after rewatching the game...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Marvin49:
I can see why someone would come to that conclusion, but I just don't think it's completely accurate.

The point about how the 49ers need to "grind out victories" because they don't have a vertical threat completely ignores the fact that Harbaugh ran almost the exact same offense at Stanford. It isn't that the 49ers CAN'T go deep. Its that they don't CHOOSE to try. BTW, saying they don't have a deep threat is also complete BS. Vernon can go deep. Manningham can go deep. Ginn can go deep. Even Moss can STILL go deep.

All these talking heads are talking out their a$$es (I;m talking about Eric Allen BTW, not you). They don't have a clue. Its not all pretty with a 300 or 400 yard passer so it's a weakness. Ya know what tho....here is the big name QB Gauntlet that was laid out before the year.

Rodgers = WIN
Stafford = WIN
Manning
Cutler
Brees
Brady

So far its 2-0 and not really close.

Good point.

Here's something else for people to chew on:

If Smith starts hitting deep with decent regularity to his wide receivers.....like if he improves in this area like his overall QB play improved mid 2010/Harbaugh era on, then the 49ers will be quite dangerous.

We saw in the first two games that Smith prefers to have the short/intermediate routes open, and at some point those will have to be given back to him if going deep is a legitimate threat.

It's great to have a strong all around team that can win games and compete in tough ones with average passing. Once you get a little above average, overwhelming.
Originally posted by verb1der:

3) Goldson: I've said many times that I'm not his biggest fan, but I have to give it up to him. He's playing very well this year. That pass breakup on the deep pass was one of the best plays in coverage I've ever seen him make.

They need to pay this man. The guy is the complete package, and IMO the best safety in the NFL (I don't care what anyone says about them dudes in Seattle), and you can bet that he's one of those rare players that WR's fear when they watch him on film. He fits the mold of good ol' #42

fangio stated a week ago that you need great safety like goldson to be an effective defense so i'm holding out hope he gets resigned
  • FL9er
  • Veteran
I can see why someone would come to that conclusion, but I just don't think it's completely accurate.

The point about how the 49ers need to "grind out victories" because they don't have a vertical threat completely ignores the fact that Harbaugh ran almost the exact same offense at Stanford. It isn't that the 49ers CAN'T go deep. Its that they don't CHOOSE to try. BTW, saying they don't have a deep threat is also complete BS. Vernon can go deep. Manningham can go deep. Ginn can go deep. Even Moss can STILL go deep.

All these talking heads are talking out their a$$es (I;m talking about Eric Allen BTW, not you). They don't have a clue. Its not all pretty with a 300 or 400 yard passer so it's a weakness. Ya know what tho....here is the big name QB Gauntlet that was laid out before the year.

Rodgers = WIN
Stafford = WIN
Manning
Cutler
Brees
Brady

So far its 2-0 and not really close.

I think it's funny that the "offensively challenged 49ers" average more yards AND points per game than Green Bay or Dallas, albeit small sample size.
Originally posted by Gore_21:
Originally posted by NCommand:
That seems about right.

One stat that is never noted is the sacks Alex avoided or the coverage sacks. I bet its pretty close to for whatever sack that happened, another was avoided (or pretty close). This should dispel and negate some coverage sacks and help the argument that the QB can also help the OL at times as well. And we also have to factor in the fact that we run a < 3 second offense and are STILL giving up these sacks (that's REALLY bad).

Edit: Also I'm surprised Gore isn't on this list...I've seen several guys blow right by him. I guess Alex got rid of it?

Yeah, Gore blew some last year and probably has this year but I would think I would have given Gore a half/a sack if I seen. My guess is Alex scrambled or got rid of it. There definitely have been coverage sacks... Alex has avoided a handful as well. I didn't get into it. It can get really in detail... that's why sites charge for info like pressures, hurries, knock downs, sacks given up, etc.

Totally...certainly didn't extend the offer to elaborate in detail (just if you had it). It helps paint a bigger picture...maybe we can get some ppl to donate you some money? Haha
What cracks me up is that if the Niners had RUN for 143 yards and PASSED for 245 yards people wouldn't be saying a thing. Now that they have actually DONE WHATS HARDER and reversed those numbers they are "Grinding it out". No....they started to kill the clock in the FIRST QUARTER. They also wait till the last possible second to snap the ball all the time to 1) kill the clock, 2) Control time of possession to keep the D rested, and 3) force the defense they are playing to show their final alignment before the snap.

Its really not that complicated but seems to mystify anyone in the national media.
What cracks me up is that if the Niners had RUN for 143 yards and PASSED for 245 yards people wouldn't be saying a thing. Now that they have actually DONE WHATS HARDER and reversed those numbers they are "Grinding it out". No....they started to kill the clock in the FIRST QUARTER. They also wait till the last possible second to snap the ball all the time to 1) kill the clock, 2) Control time of possession to keep the D rested, and 3) force the defense they are playing to show their final alignment before the snap.

Its really not that complicated but seems to mystify anyone in the national media.

i dont care about the total pass yardage numbers. what i hate is the inefficiency. the long drives that stall around the redzone, now with akers missing field goals it's magnified.

against the jets we had the gift turnover from holmes and the blocked punt that set up great field position. those are extremely uncommon and not sustainable. the offense needs to get better, and get better FAST
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:

i dont care about the total pass yardage numbers. what i hate is the inefficiency. the long drives that stall around the redzone, now with akers missing field goals it's magnified.

against the jets we had the gift turnover from holmes and the blocked punt that set up great field position. those are extremely uncommon and not sustainable. the offense needs to get better, and get better FAST

...and if you take away those 2 TDs its still 20-0. Its 26-0 if Akers hits those Field Goals. That doesn't even count the TD that would have been if Kaep doesn't slide.

The O could play better but they are plenty good enought to win.

Now THAT is an astute point! Great observation (and obvious when you think about it). I've seen a few times this year where Alex was even yelling over at the sidelines to get the play in as well.

As to your other point, ppl are just pissed b/c they picked Alex in their Fantasy Football leagues as their "sleeper" b/c they bought into the fact we have all these new weapons (suddenly we're going spread offense now) and Gore has lost a step (no need to draft him), etc.
Totally...certainly didn't extend the offer to elaborate in detail (just if you had it). It helps paint a bigger picture...maybe we can get some ppl to donate you some money? Haha

Seeing who gave up what touchdowns on defense would be another good thing to keep track of. Coverage touchdowns... not the running ones. CBs, S, LBs...

If you checked coaches film with the whole field view you could probably do yardage given up against the pass as well but it would be hard at times not knowing the play call. Some times it looks like it was one guys fault but it was another. Would be cool to see what CB, S, LB is giving up what amount of yards but that would be a ton of work.

But really during a game you can get a general sense of who is doing a good job and who isn't on the OL. Oldman's play by play give us a lot of info as well. Unfortunately, good solid football talk is becoming harder to find. Every thread is turning into Alex Smith debate.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Oct 1, 2012 at 3:44 PM ]
Now THAT is an astute point! Great observation (and obvious when you think about it). I've seen a few times this year where Alex was even yelling over at the sidelines to get the play in as well.

As to your other point, ppl are just pissed b/c they picked Alex in their Fantasy Football leagues as their "sleeper" b/c they bought into the fact we have all these new weapons (suddenly we're going spread offense now) and Gore has lost a step (no need to draft him), etc.

LOL I don't think anyone has Alex on their fantasy team. I don't care if we have Calvin and Roddy White I still don't want someone with 2 300 yard games in a 70 start career. Although Vernon's production is suffering.

People want to see the passing game improve because we know it's going to be necessary to win it all.

Originally posted by DonnieDarko:

...and if you take away those 2 TDs its still 20-0. Its 26-0 if Akers hits those Field Goals. That doesn't even count the TD that would have been if Kaep doesn't slide.

The O could play better but they are plenty good enought to win.

that's against the jets, who just lost their 2 best players. they have no talent, they're a horrible team.
Originally posted by Gore_21:
Seeing who gave up what touchdowns on defense would be another good thing to keep track of. Coverage touchdowns... not the running ones. CBs, S, LBs...

If you checked coaches film with the whole field view you could probably do yardage given up against the pass as well but it would be hard at times not knowing the play call. Some times it looks like it was one guys fault but it was another. Would be cool to see what CB, S, LB is giving up what amount of yards but that would be a ton of work.

But really during a game you can get a general sense of who is doing a good job and who isn't on the OL. Oldman's play by play give us a lot of info as well. Unfortunately, good solid football talk is becoming harder to find. Every thread is turning into Alex Smith debate.

Should have the offensive plays wrapped up by tomorrow afternoon.

I thought maybe the PFF stats would have the precise stats you seek.. but nope.
Originally posted by tjd808185:
LOL I don't think anyone has Alex on their fantasy team. I don't care if we have Calvin and Roddy White I still don't want someone with 2 300 yard games in a 70 start career. Although Vernon's production is suffering.

People want to see the passing game improve because we know it's going to be necessary to win it all.

.. and it will happen. Till then, I'm gonna enjoy winning in any way. This last game really wasn't that bad for the passing game... we just didn't need to pass much cuz we whipped that arse in the run game.
Originally posted by oldman9er:
.. and it will happen. Till then, I'm gonna enjoy winning in any way. This last game really wasn't that bad for the passing game... we just didn't need to pass much cuz we whipped that arse in the run game.

I have no criticism about how he played against the Jets. When you're pitching a shut out, running for 245 yards nobody should argue that Alex played too conservatively.

It's just we know when it's time to face the Giants, Falcons it's going to require more than what we put out. There's going to be that one game like in Minnesota or New Orleans last year in the playoffs when the defense struggles.

Alex has delivered in those spots too you'd just like to see it being done more consistently. You'd like to see it where we don't have to be in that spot for Alex to turn it on.
[ Edited by tjd808185 on Oct 1, 2012 at 4:04 PM ]
  • dj43
Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by susweel:
1) Alex Smith: No TDs or Picks, so won't update the Tally this week. Not a BAD game, but not one of his best. 0-5 on third down, but three of them were dropped. Had 3 or 4 big chances at big plays down the sideline to Manningham and Crabtree and missed them. Even his supporters would admit that pass isn't his strong suit. Manningham had a shot at one of them tho and may have actually been held on the other. The Crabtree pass tho was clearly overthrown.

come on man really

Dude has stunk it up the last two weeks big time. Missing wide open player constantly and taking unnecessary sacks but I guess its not BAD by his standard. lol

They won by 34 points and 3 of his third down passes were dropped.

Jeez dude, get some new material.

I know they won 34-0 but it wasn't because of Alex. They could have have 50-0 if he had played a semi decent game but whatever.
Well, "whatever," they could have had Mark Sanchez playing QB and lost 0-3 in double OT.
Share 49ersWebzone