LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 213 users in the forums

Week 4: Thoughts after rewatching the game...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Marvin49:
1) Alex Smith: No TDs or Picks, so won't update the Tally this week. Not a BAD game, but not one of his best. 0-5 on third down, but three of them were dropped. Had 3 or 4 big chances at big plays down the sideline to Manningham and Crabtree and missed them. Even his supporters would admit that pass isn't his strong suit. Manningham had a shot at one of them tho and may have actually been held on the other. The Crabtree pass tho was clearly overthrown.

He's obviously really good at throwing a deep pass to Vernon, so why not the others? Most likely because he doesn't know the tendencies and adapted to the respective speed of his other receivers. One to Manningham looked like a clear hold by the defender, the second one to Manningham, Manningham did a slight stutter on the defender which threw the timing of the throw off and hence the overthrow. Not sure if that was a designed part of the pass play or what, but without that slight move Manningham would have been there in time for the catch. The Crabtree one was definitely off, which shows he still hasn't gotten into any type of deep ball rhythm with him either, for whatever reasons. But he can sling it when necessary.

All in all a great game though. No complaints. Just need to continue to work on chemistry with the other receivers.
[ Edited by truekingcarlos on Oct 1, 2012 at 1:01 PM ]
Originally posted by truekingcarlos:
1) Alex Smith: No TDs or Picks, so won't update the Tally this week. Not a BAD game, but not one of his best. 0-5 on third down, but three of them were dropped. Had 3 or 4 big chances at big plays down the sideline to Manningham and Crabtree and missed them. Even his supporters would admit that pass isn't his strong suit. Manningham had a shot at one of them tho and may have actually been held on the other. The Crabtree pass tho was clearly overthrown.

He's obviously really good at throwing a deep pass to Vernon, so why not the others? Most likely because he doesn't know the tendencies and adapted to the respective speed of his other receivers. One to Manningham looked like a clear hold by the defender, the second one to Manningham, Manningham did a slight stutter on the defender which threw the timing of the throw off and hence the overthrow. Not sure if that was a designed part of the pass play or what, but without that slight move Manningham would have been there in time for the catch. The Crabtree one was definitely off, which shows he still hasn't gotten into any type of deep ball rhythm with him either, for whatever reasons. But he can sling it when necessary.

All in all a great game though. No complaints. Just need to continue to work on chemistry with the other receivers.

Yeah, I mentioned I think last week how it's odd how well he throws the ball to Vernon compared to the others. I'm not sure if its a timing thing, a confidense thing (as in confidense in Vernon) or something else. He seems to be able to hit Vernon just about anywhere but really struggles on deep sideline routes to his WRs.

... and I first throw out the disclaimer that I do like Rio and think he has been pretty good and will get even better as a Niner...

3rd and 13 at NYJ 49 (Shotgun) A.Smith pass incomplete deep right to M.Manningham.
5mR... pretty good pass pro... Walker and Hunter block and release... deep sideline throw to Rio. Rio gets a hand on it, and really should have focused more on reeling it in instead of worrying about the CB battle... there was also some wasted motion in Rio's route, as he tried what essentially was a triple-move vs the CB.. he fakes like he is puttimg on the brakes.. then bursts.. then brakes again before final burst.. very odd. Then he reaches a hand out for the ball instead of going up with both hands for it. Not a run and effort I expect from a pro WR.
  • fryet
  • Veteran
Originally posted by jreff22:
Originally posted by DirtyP:
Originally posted by blm7754:
Yes I've heard of Bill Walsh, and you're not him.... we are talking about DROPS not QB practice, dumb ass. What did Bill Walsh say about drops?

Respond to the fact that Bill Walsh DEMANDED that QBs put the ball 6 inches above the numbers please

BIGGEST 6 INCHES EVER
Owned!

Yeah, I mentioned I think last week how it's odd how well he throws the ball to Vernon compared to the others. I'm not sure if its a timing thing, a confidense thing (as in confidense in Vernon) or something else. He seems to be able to hit Vernon just about anywhere but really struggles on deep sideline routes to his WRs.

Just to put things in perspective here, Manningham has looked like our best - and most explosive - receiver the last couple of weeks. By contrast, he was #3 on the NYG. I think the timing is an issue but I also think talent is an issue. In the case of Vernon Davis he is usually exceptional at exploiting coverage mismatches (certain safeties and linebackers) and gets more separation from defenders than our WR's are getting.
[ Edited by bzborow1 on Oct 1, 2012 at 1:39 PM ]
Originally posted by bzborow1:
Just to put things in perspective here, Manningham has looked like our best - and most explosive - receiver the last couple of weeks. By contrast, he was #3 on the NYG. I think the timing is an issue but I also think talent is an issue. In the case of Vernon Davis he is usually exceptional at exploiting coverage mismatches (certain safeties and linebackers) and gets more separation from defenders than our WR's are getting.

Very good point ....hopefully AJ Jenkins shows similar explosiveness and we keep Manningham while Crab serves as the possession guy along with Vernon to form a good WR core for the future ....
Great review agree with it all. I think alex is trying to get in rythym with his wrs learning there speed timing etc. The overthrow to crabs looked like he mentally thought he was passing to vernon. The deep pass to manningham that was caught looked great he just needs to get the timing on all his receivers down (could be what manningham was talking about last week).
THE AWESOME NEWS: The 2011 49ers defense & Special Teams are back in full 'ass-kicking' form.

THE BAD NEWS: So is the 2011 49ers offense...
Rex Ryan's thoughts after the game:

Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
THE AWESOME NEWS: The 2011 49ers defense & Special Teams are back in full 'ass-kicking' form.

THE BAD NEWS: So is the 2011 49ers offense...

uh....you will excuse me if I don't consider rushing for 245 yards "BAD NEWS".

• FL9er
  • Veteran
Much has been made about the QB, the play-calling, etc. but even with the additions at WRs, I still think it's one of the weakest units (perhaps, THE) on the team. Eric Allen on SportsCenter made an interesting point about how the 49ers have to grind out victories because they really don't have a vertical threat that can create explosive plays in the passing game. Think about it. Vernon is the fastest player on the team, but he's a TE. That really makes him a freak of nature.

The WRs are not gaining enough separation and aren't good enough to beat man coverage (yesterday's game notwithstanding) which puts too much pressure on Alex to make pinpoint throws to covered WRs. I'm not an Alex supporter/hater (I support the TEAM) but I realize he isn't Drew Brees or Tom Brady and asking him to make the throws those guys are capable of making is not his strength. Having a guy like that on the outside gives the QB a wider margin for error when attempting those deep passes. It why guys like Matt Ryan and Eli Manning and even Matt Stafford can get away with just throwing it up for grabs because of the WRs they have.

I realize Randy Moss still has a role on this team (triple coverage!), but he's 35 yrs old. I like that they tried some deep passes yesterday, but why not come up with some plays for Ginn or AJ Jenkins, arguably the 2 fastest WRs on the team?
Originally posted by FL9er:
Much has been made about the QB, the play-calling, etc. but even with the additions at WRs, I still think it's one of the weakest units (perhaps, THE) on the team. Eric Allen on SportsCenter made an interesting point about how the 49ers have to grind out victories because they really don't have a vertical threat that can create explosive plays in the passing game. Think about it. Vernon is the fastest player on the team, but he's a TE. That really makes him a freak of nature.

The WRs are not gaining enough separation and aren't good enough to beat man coverage (yesterday's game notwithstanding) which puts too much pressure on Alex to make pinpoint throws to covered WRs. I'm not an Alex supporter/hater (I support the TEAM) but I realize he isn't Drew Brees or Tom Brady and asking him to make the throws those guys are capable of making is not his strength. Having a guy like that on the outside gives the QB a wider margin for error when attempting those deep passes. It why guys like Matt Ryan and Eli Manning and even Matt Stafford can get away with just throwing it up for grabs because of the WRs they have.

I realize Randy Moss still has a role on this team (triple coverage!), but he's 35 yrs old. I like that they tried some deep passes yesterday, but why not come up with some plays for Ginn or AJ Jenkins, arguably the 2 fastest WRs on the team?

I can see why someone would come to that conclusion, but I just don't think it's completely accurate.

The point about how the 49ers need to "grind out victories" because they don't have a vertical threat completely ignores the fact that Harbaugh ran almost the exact same offense at Stanford. It isn't that the 49ers CAN'T go deep. Its that they don't CHOOSE to try. BTW, saying they don't have a deep threat is also complete BS. Vernon can go deep. Manningham can go deep. Ginn can go deep. Even Moss can STILL go deep.

All these talking heads are talking out their a$$es (I;m talking about Eric Allen BTW, not you). They don't have a clue. Its not all pretty with a 300 or 400 yard passer so it's a weakness. Ya know what tho....here is the big name QB Gauntlet that was laid out before the year.

Rodgers = WIN
Stafford = WIN
Manning
Cutler
Brees
Brady

So far its 2-0 and not really close.
[ Edited by Marvin49 on Oct 1, 2012 at 2:36 PM ]
A** kick'n

[ Edited by qnnhan7 on Oct 1, 2012 at 3:00 PM ]
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
I had one though after watching this game.

Hrmm...you may be right. For some reason I thought it was another 1 year deal.

2 year deal if im not mistaken
Share 49ersWebzone