LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 286 users in the forums

Week 4: Thoughts after rewatching the game...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
I don't think you have been watching the last few years if you think that was the best play Goldson ever made.... No disrespect. Just saying. He continually gets disrespected on the WZ. But dude is a monster. Coming 15 yards upfield to make plays in the running game, batting down sure TD's, getting interceptions, causing fumbles, recovering fumbles, hard hits. We cannot replace him. Goldson is really important to what we do. It's time people started to realize that.

To be fair he said one of his best plays in coverage which doesn't include the other things. It was definitely a thing of beauty... 1 on 1... td or nothing... I would agree its one of his better coverage plays not not including ints. But yeah I hear you because there are people that don't see those other things. He is a force with the hard hits, getting better at tackling, he is a turnover machine like you said. I hope we at least tag him again if we can't sign him long term. I just hope he realizes what he is a part of and budges a bit to help the team out. If he doesn't want to and wants to go get more money with a crappy team than to me it's his mistake.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Oct 2, 2012 at 2:11 AM ]
Originally posted by verb1der:
Quote:
Originally posted by Marvin49:

3) Goldson: I've said many times that I'm not his biggest fan, but I have to give it up to him. He's playing very well this year. That pass breakup on the deep pass was one of the best plays in coverage I've ever seen him make.

They need to pay this man. The guy is the complete package, and IMO the best safety in the NFL (I don't care what anyone says about them dudes in Seattle), and you can bet that he's one of those rare players that WR's fear when they watch him on film. He fits the mold of good ol' #42

Lott was much better at every position including fs, that being said, I love me some Goldson, I hope we can work him into the plan under the salary cap.
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Lott was much better at every position including fs, that being said, I love me some Goldson, I hope we can work him into the plan under the salary cap.

Yeah, Lott was a once in a generation player, not too many safeties that can hit and tackle like a LB and cover like a CB. Goldson is one of the top FS in the league but he isn't near Lott level. He still needs to get better in coverage but to be fair a lot of safeties either struggle in coverage or struggle in run support. Not many are good at both.
Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by DirtyP:
They won by 34 points and 3 of his third down passes were dropped.

Jeez dude, get some new material.

A win doesn't always equal good QB play. Alex Smith's passes tend to be dropped more because his ball placement isn't where it needs to be.
wow, when i saw crabs drop three in the chest vs the saints last year I should have known it was the fault of alex and "ball placement'. how come you were not around here after the first two games of the year talking about the horrid ball placement of alex? if it is the scurge of the niner team like you say it is, I would think the media or JH would address this. I guess they are just not dialed in like you are

It is obvious that he, Sus and allthetime know much more about quarterbacking than Smith, Harbaugh and Roman combined. Not only that, but they know more about receiving as well. Jed should fire the aforementioned coaches and replace them with the aforementioned posters so we could win six or seven Superbowls in a row with undefeated seasons where our opponents never score.
Originally posted by blm7754:
Yes I've heard of Bill Walsh, and you're not him.... we are talking about DROPS not QB practice, dumb ass. What did Bill Walsh say about drops?

Respond to the fact that Bill Walsh DEMANDED that QBs put the ball 6 inches above the numbers please

Post a link where he said that, I don't think I have seen that one, but would like to. Jerry Rice did say something to the effect that if it hits your hands you are supposed to catch it. Also kudos for not signing every post like you used to. Also, where were you when Smith was playing well? Lurking in the shadows, waiting for a bad game maybe?
Originally posted by Gore_21:
I don't think you have been watching the last few years if you think that was the best play Goldson ever made.... No disrespect. Just saying. He continually gets disrespected on the WZ. But dude is a monster. Coming 15 yards upfield to make plays in the running game, batting down sure TD's, getting interceptions, causing fumbles, recovering fumbles, hard hits. We cannot replace him. Goldson is really important to what we do. It's time people started to realize that.

To be fair he said one of his best plays in coverage which doesn't include the other things. It was definitely a thing of beauty... 1 on 1... td or nothing... I would agree its one of his better coverage plays not not including ints. But yeah I hear you because there are people that don't see those other things. He is a force with the hard hits, getting better at tackling, he is a turnover machine like you said. I hope we at least tag him again if we can't sign him long term. I just hope he realizes what he is a part of and budges a bit to help the team out. If he doesn't want to and wants to go get more money with a crappy team than to me it's his mistake.

Usually you can tag a guy 2 years. The 3rd becomes cost prohibitive. The Chargers tagged Vincent Jackson 2 years. We can do it again this offseason with Dashon. And I hope we do. He's a force and a great player. Yes we do need him. I hope we get something done long term with him. He may cave this year because he doesn't want to keep getting tagged over and over and then eventually dropped to some other team in FA. It's kind of in his best interests to get it done this time too. Remember how bad our Safety play was before he was playing?....
Usually you can tag a guy 2 years. The 3rd becomes cost prohibitive. The Chargers tagged Vincent Jackson 2 years. We can do it again this offseason with Dashon. And I hope we do. He's a force and a great player. Yes we do need him. I hope we get something done long term with him. He may cave this year because he doesn't want to keep getting tagged over and over and then eventually dropped to some other team in FA. It's kind of in his best interests to get it done this time too. Remember how bad our Safety play was before he was playing?....

Yeah, might have to make some space if we do but I think he would get 7.5 million which isn't too bad. Like I said I would definitely tag him if we can't re-sign him. And you don't have to sell me... I remember Roman and Lewis and those guys. I know he is asking a lot but it's the going rate and that's what happens when teams overpay. It affects everybody. Hopefully if he does he can make it cap and team friendly. He has to realize we have others to take care of and what we have here. Maybe he should talk to some of the guys who took big money from crap teams. Sure the extra money is nice but is it worth losing the rest of your career? If we lose him he will be really hard to replace and we would probably have to go FS in the 1st and even that would be a long shot of not losing anything on the field. There would probably be communication problems and breakdowns with a rookie no matter how high he is selected.

Yeah, might have to make some space if we do but I think he would get 7.5 million which isn't too bad. Like I said I would definitely tag him if we can't re-sign him. And you don't have to sell me... I remember Roman and Lewis and those guys. I know he is asking a lot but it's the going rate and that's what happens when teams overpay. It affects everybody. Hopefully if he does he can make it cap and team friendly. He has to realize we have others to take care of and what we have here. Maybe he should talk to some of the guys who took big money from crap teams. Sure the extra money is nice but is it worth losing the rest of your career? If we lose him he will be really hard to replace and we would probably have to go FS in the 1st and even that would be a long shot of not losing anything on the field. There would probably be communication problems and breakdowns with a rookie no matter how high he is selected.

I agree strongly with those.

Yeah, Lott was a once in a generation player, not too many safeties that can hit and tackle like a LB and cover like a CB. Goldson is one of the top FS in the league but he isn't near Lott level. He still needs to get better in coverage but to be fair a lot of safeties either struggle in coverage or struggle in run support. Not many are good at both.

I am very happy with our starting safety combo.
I agree with Gore21 that ALL DONE may very well have had his coverage chores either removed or lessened quite a bit. In Vikes game, he was uncertain, not really putting his heart in rushing because he had coverage duties. I think Coach H saw that and told #99, "Son, forget the pass, kill the QB". And you know what , he did. I never thot having him cover was that great an idea and actually raised that question as a possibility at start of season. So our 3-4 is actually a 4-3, but , I mean, who gives a rat's hind end what you call what we play. I am fine with calling the D a 3-4 and Aldon bullrushing the passer on every down. Man, it works fantastic, and the man is in his element. To be quite frank, I think that was the problem in the Minn game when Aldon was hanging back to cover. Screw that. We got other guys to cover, but we don't have other bullrush Kings like Aldon. So 3-4 it is, BUT Aldon coldcocks the QB on every play.

Go back and relook at how many times Aldon didn't get a sack but was RIGHT THERE, and don't think sanchez wasn't looking for #99 on each and every play. He was, and Aldon got two sacks, but 100% of Sanchez's mindset. Aldon freaked him out....made sanchez look bad. Putting aldon in any kind of coverage is a great way to reduce his overpowering effectiveness. Minn game proved that. Jets game proved why he should tee it up every play, and play every down...as a superhuman bullrusher.

Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
I agree with Gore21 that ALL DONE may very well have had his coverage chores either removed or lessened quite a bit. In Vikes game, he was uncertain, not really putting his heart in rushing because he had coverage duties. I think Coach H saw that and told #99, "Son, forget the pass, kill the QB". And you know what , he did. I never thot having him cover was that great an idea and actually raised that question as a possibility at start of season. So our 3-4 is actually a 4-3, but , I mean, who gives a rat's hind end what you call what we play. I am fine with calling the D a 3-4 and Aldon bullrushing the passer on every down. Man, it works fantastic, and the man is in his element. To be quite frank, I think that was the problem in the Minn game when Aldon was hanging back to cover. Screw that. We got other guys to cover, but we don't have other bullrush Kings like Aldon. So 3-4 it is, BUT Aldon coldcocks the QB on every play.

Go back and relook at how many times Aldon didn't get a sack but was RIGHT THERE, and don't think sanchez wasn't looking for #99 on each and every play. He was, and Aldon got two sacks, but 100% of Sanchez's mindset. Aldon freaked him out....made sanchez look bad. Putting aldon in any kind of coverage is a great way to reduce his overpowering effectiveness. Minn game proved that. Jets game proved why he should tee it up every play, and play every down...as a superhuman bullrusher.

Well said and maybe as time goes along and he works on it in practice and gets better they start letting him do it more. Who knows though, maybe he's back to covering more again this game. Let's hope the coaches do what you just said there. And it doesn't mean he has to come off the field... he is getting better against the run... doing really well so it's not like that's the problem. He can still be a 3 down lineman just instead of dropping him off in coverage send him.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Oct 2, 2012 at 4:34 AM ]

I like Dashon a lot, but he isnt worth a max contract
Originally posted by blizzuntz:

He's worth top 5 like they are paying him this year. You don't have to pay him #1.

Originally posted by cciowa:
They won by 34 points and 3 of his third down passes were dropped.

Jeez dude, get some new material.

A win doesn't always equal good QB play. Alex Smith's passes tend to be dropped more because his ball placement isn't where it needs to be.
wow, when i saw crabs drop three in the chest vs the saints last year I should have known it was the fault of alex and "ball placement'. how come you were not around here after the first two games of the year talking about the horrid ball placement of alex? if it is the scurge of the niner team like you say it is, I would think the media or JH would address this. I guess they are just not dialed in like you are

It is obvious that he, Sus and allthetime know much more about quarterbacking than Smith, Harbaugh and Roman combined. Not only that, but they know more about receiving as well. Jed should fire the aforementioned coaches and replace them with the aforementioned posters so we could win six or seven Superbowls in a row with undefeated seasons where our opponents never score.

Lol this lol

He's worth top 5 like they are paying him this year. You don't have to pay him #1.

If there were a position to upgrade in that defensive backfield, I would say Rodgers. He's gotten turned around on a few occasions but I also have to say that it's not easy covering some of those slot receivers.
Share 49ersWebzone