There are 171 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

What will it take to be a passing team again.

Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by nannite:
Originally posted by susweel:
Better WRs, better OL, better RBs, better TEs and better coaching.

wow, we would have to improve in a lot of areas to field a team that would finish with the same record.

Yes all those areas are subpar according to some.

That is a gross over-simplification of the actual arguments being made about those areas.

Saying 'we dont have a second TE who is elite' is not the same as saying we need better TEs.
Saying 'LMJ needs to play more' or 'Gore has lost a step' is not the same as saying we need better RBs.
Saying 'our OL is dominant in run-blocking but below-average in pass-blocking' is not the same as saying we need better OL (especially given that this OL was specifically built this way)
Better coaching has never been brought up until last weekends loss. Its purely a knee-jerk reaction.
Receivers are an issue, but the FO identified this in the past off-season. It will still takes a few years for a complete overhaul to take place without completely gimping the corp in the short term.
Originally posted by fly15:
Barkley

Matt Barkley???
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
Alex can throw deep, but it's a matter of getting the WRs on the same page, only Crabtree and Vernon seem to click with Alex. Moss, Manningham, Walker and Williams haven't made an impact, Mario has the most of those 4. I don't think we are suited for a passing team, we have legit RBs in Gore, Hunter and Jacobs, and James in the future, our OL is solid, we are a defensive team, I hope we don't go in the pass first, with a weak defense approach. It would be great to have a Manning, but I dont wanna be in a shootout. But I dont think we will see it any time soon, Alex has limited abilities, he isn't elite, and probably won't ever be, he is capable starter, but he will never be a Brees, Brady, either Manning, Rodgers, even Big Ben and Rivers. Might be more of a Flacco though.

I think the most important thing is if we want to throw deep, we need to have adequate pass blocking. In the game against the Vikings, our line did a horrible job of giving Alex enough time to throw the ball. Staley has been a cause for concern with his blocking of late. Clay Matthews ate him up, he did a decent job on Vanden Bosch, but Jared Allen also took his lunch. Until our line stiffens up, we're going to be a short/medium pass team with a lot of rushing.
Honestly, if we had one receiver Like Megatron, Andre Johnson or Fitz we would be better and more consistent passing team.
Originally posted by Allx9er:
For Pete's sake just call a game plan that calls for 1-2 more calculated shots down field.

All I ask for as well.
Originally posted by SFrush:
Originally posted by Allx9er:
For Pete's sake just call a game plan that calls for 1-2 more calculated shots down field.

All I ask for as well.

Really what does it matter? We've won the past 15 regular season games with this game plan with only 4 losses. Apparently, it works just fine. I know it's not exciting to watch a bunch of dinks and dunks, but that's the WCO. And that's an effective running game. We don't need deep passes when we're at 3rd and short.
Originally posted by SFrush:
Originally posted by Allx9er:
For Pete's sake just call a game plan that calls for 1-2 more calculated shots down field.

All I ask for as well.

The game plan is "limited" for a reason.


better fans

/thread
To throw more passes
Thank You Westcoast Champ!!! I've been waiting for a thread like this :-) More so I've found someone who is speaking my mind. You said it the glory days. When we use to hand teams their butts. We would go for the jugalur every game. Harbaugh clearly has it in him. I know everyone talks about his power running at Stanford. But he was notorious to fellow pac-10 teams for running up the dcore putting games out of reach. 55-21, 42-3 scores. The Montana to Rice and Young days. Every game we had 3 dozen sportcenter highlight plays. Now were lucky to get one. If we return to the high flying offense with the aerial attack, and rack up the points like overnight stock boys. It will electrify the Bay area and its fans. Plus it will put fear into our opponents. We have VD, we have Moss; we have CK7's rocket arm. Let's do it!
Gauex Niners!
Originally posted by susweel:
Better WRs, better OL, better RBs, better TEs and better coaching.

Lol
Originally posted by English:
To answer your question in the title, a new Head Coach.

Are people seriously saying we need a new coach?

Harbaugh is the best thing to happen to this organization since Walsh.

He is unwilling to force an offense on to players that cannot execute it. Alex is not going to become Aaron Rodgers or Tom Brady. He is not accurate enough to be that type of QB, and consequently our play calling will reflect that.

Harbaugh is able to maximize the talent level that he has, and that's all a coach can do. He doesn't play the game, he just puts the players in the best chance to win. And he is the best in the NFL at that.
Originally posted by calbear:
Are people seriously saying we need a new coach?

Harbaugh is the best thing to happen to this organization since Walsh.

He is unwilling to force an offense on to players that cannot execute it. Alex is not going to become Aaron Rodgers or Tom Brady. He is not accurate enough to be that type of QB, and consequently our play calling will reflect that.

Harbaugh is able to maximize the talent level that he has, and that's all a coach can do. He doesn't play the game, he just puts the players in the best chance to win. And he is the best in the NFL at that.

Saying it is not Harbaugh's game to air it out. Not saying fire the coach!
Originally posted by calbear:
Originally posted by English:
To answer your question in the title, a new Head Coach.

Are people seriously saying we need a new coach?

Harbaugh is the best thing to happen to this organization since Walsh.

He is unwilling to force an offense on to players that cannot execute it. Alex is not going to become Aaron Rodgers or Tom Brady. He is not accurate enough to be that type of QB, and consequently our play calling will reflect that.

Harbaugh is able to maximize the talent level that he has, and that's all a coach can do. He doesn't play the game, he just puts the players in the best chance to win. And he is the best in the NFL at that.

Dude, read the thread title. Then read my post. Clear?

Alternatively, you could show me where I say I want to change coaches.
Originally posted by mkmasn:
Really what does it matter? We've won the past 15 regular season games with this game plan with only 4 losses. Apparently, it works just fine. I know it's not exciting to watch a bunch of dinks and dunks, but that's the WCO. And that's an effective running game. We don't need deep passes when we're at 3rd and short.

It does if we happen to fall behind in the second half. You might need a big play. We're not always going to score touchdowns on the long 8-10 play drives.