There are 193 users in the forums

What will it take to be a passing team again.

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I was just sitting here thinking about it and i think were stuck as a ground and pound. we built our oline around run line men and when we go to pass it just seems awkward like our team just is out of there element i really miss the days of Montana Young it was exciting. im so tired of every weekend at the edge of my seat yealling at the tv and last sec wins or losses i think im losing hair from it. all i want is one game of 500 yards of passsing and a 60-0 game just to enjoy i big win. so my question is to my 49er fans is what do you think it will take for our fomula to change do we need wrs like CJ and Julio Jones. or can we do it with Moss Mann. and crabs and just start taking more shots down field i really think with our run game if we just did some more PA pass deep we could really take Teams off guard. i also think if we could back teams up mare our run would be even better. whats you guys thoughts on this and please dont think im not happy that we have a good team i just want to be a great team.
An elite QB! Zinnnnggg!!!

Alright this thread is off and running

Oldman/CCiowa vs. Sus and his posse

Let's have a clean fight and there's the bell!
To answer your question in the title, a new Head Coach.
See i thin J.H is a passing Coach but he just knows we dont have the team for it. thats why he looked a Payton M. in the off season the first chance he gets to get a brady brees type QB he will.
Originally posted by westcoastchamp:
See i thin J.H is a passing Coach but he just knows we dont have the team for it. thats why he looked a Payton M. in the off season the first chance he gets to get a brady brees type QB he will.

he ran a 50/50 split at Stanford for the most part
  • Baldie
  • Veteran
The coaching staff implements what their personal can do, that is their skill with JH and his staff. We do pass, but not the type of passes we all thought they would be. I agree, thats why JH took a look at Peyton. Alex is a good QB, don't get me wrong, he had a part in getting us to the NFC Championship last year. I just don't think Alex has that vision or thought process during a play like an Eli, Peyton, Rodgers, or Brees has. You can argue that with so many years he's been in the league he should have had that already BUT lets remember the right coaching staff has not been with him all of his career until NOW. This is his 2nd season with no coaching changes so we need to wait and see how he progresses this season. If it doesn't happen, either we go after another QB or Kaep takes the thrown.
Another 7 years
maybeas a team we could pass on making new threads that devolve into Alex chat
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Better WRs, better OL, better RBs, better TEs and better coaching.
Its a valid question and the mod is right, it starts at the offensive philosophy with Harbaugh/Roman. Period. We can run any offense we want with any QB, OL, WR's, RB's, etc. we have and will develop with time and continuity.

Right now, we have been passing a lot in the first three games (in the beginning of each game) to build leads and the only-option-receiver has been effective (until the Vikings). I don't know if we script the first 20 plays or not.

In real terms, I think they are trying to master the short-to-intermediate passing game with pre-snap reads (kill or roll with it) and predetermined, designed passing attacks. I think the next phase will be pre-snap reads AND progression reads during live action (pending on the OL protection; big IF here). If Alex and the receivers start rolling here, the final phase will be deeper packages esp. the deep post and more deeper crossing patterns.

The philosophy will remain in tact (predetermined, designed passes under 3 seconds, 4+ gains on 1st down, good mix of Gore/Hunter, conversions on 3rd downs and production in the RZ and methodical, clock-eating drives)...deeper plays will just be more "calculated" and set up by previous play designs earlier in the game.

Now if you want FF/Madden, we've got the wrong coaches for that...ain't gonna happen. So keep biting those nails like the rest of us!
[ Edited by NCommand on Sep 29, 2012 at 11:26 AM ]

Originally posted by English:
To answer your question in the title, a new Head Coach.

Yes, JH has designed a system that is WCO but with the run first...contradiction in terms? Maybe, but that's what we have and since it is counter to the current NFL philosophy of airing it out many teams can't adequately prepare for SF.

I agree with the idea that we have a line built for smash-mouth running and not pass blocking, but they will come around. JH will keep tinkering until they do. Boone has been a big improvement over Rachal/Snyder so they just need a better/stronger center and for a little help on the left when facing dominant rushers. I still think they need to chip the ROLB so Staley can get a bit of leverage on the guys as he drops back. And a chip by a WR or TE need not take that receiver out of the mix, just will delay him a bit getting out to a short route.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Its a valid question and the mod is right, it starts at the offensive philosophy with Harbaugh/Roman. Period. We can run any offense we want with any QB, OL, WR's, RB's, etc. we have and will develop with time and continuity.

Right now, we have been passing a lot in the first three games (in the beginning of each game) to build leads and the only-option-receiver has been effective (until the Vikings). I don't know if we script the first 20 plays or not.

In real terms, I think they are trying to master the short-to-intermediate passing game with pre-snap reads (kill or roll with it) and predetermined, designed passing attacks. I think the next phase will be pre-snap reads AND progression reads during live action (pending on the OL protection; big IF here). If Alex and the receivers start rolling here, the final phase will be deeper packages esp. the deep post and more deeper crossing patterns.

The philosophy will remain in tact (predetermined, designed passes under 3 seconds, 4+ gains on 1st down, good mix of Gore/Hunter, conversions on 3rd downs and production in the RZ and methodical, clock-eating drives)...deeper plays will just be more "calculated" and set up by previous play designs earlier in the game.

Now if you want FF/Madden, we've got the wrong coaches for that...ain't gonna happen. So keep biting those nails like the rest of us!

I agree 100!!
Originally posted by westcoastchamp:

You might want to go back and look at the numbers at Stanford when he had Luck as has QB. Not much has changed in his offensive philosophy.

I don't get the point of the thread? THe concern is running up the score on a team? Didn't we destroy the Bucs last season without throwing for 500yds? All the passing teams do well the first few months of the season but then all of a sudden we see more balanced teams take over in the playoffs. So would you rather have all kinds of passing records or another SB trophy?
Alex can throw deep, but it's a matter of getting the WRs on the same page, only Crabtree and Vernon seem to click with Alex. Moss, Manningham, Walker and Williams haven't made an impact, Mario has the most of those 4. I don't think we are suited for a passing team, we have legit RBs in Gore, Hunter and Jacobs, and James in the future, our OL is solid, we are a defensive team, I hope we don't go in the pass first, with a weak defense approach. It would be great to have a Manning, but I dont wanna be in a shootout. But I dont think we will see it any time soon, Alex has limited abilities, he isn't elite, and probably won't ever be, he is capable starter, but he will never be a Brees, Brady, either Manning, Rodgers, even Big Ben and Rivers. Might be more of a Flacco though.
For Pete's sake just call a game plan that calls for 1-2 more calculated shots down field.
Share 49ersWebzone