LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 308 users in the forums

49er/Minn Coaches Film Pass Offense Analysis

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Its not that hard. Stop, plant and throw 20 yards to wide open moss in the middle o the field. The ILB bit on the play action.
Weeden on Cleveland just hit the same pass and he was still moving.

you act like hes never made that play before he missed it move on

ive seen aaron rodgers miss that throw many times

brady missed an open welker in the SB that really wouldve won him the game on a similar throw except brady had a pocket

qbs dont make every throw and hit their WR all the time but as of ow alex is hitting his targets way more times than not

Great QBs miss yes.

smith isn't great. If he wants to be, he needs to hit more then he doesn't. Especially when we were down. I watched the rest, it was basically the same thing all game. Yeah he was under pressure, but when he wasn't he went for the short routes and also bailed from pockets unnecessarily.
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Yes QBs miss those throws but it's with our offense there's too much at stake

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/drivestats

were top 7 i points per drive and 6 in yards per drive

we are a top 10 offense accordintng to that

our offense is doing fine one bad game shouldnt be the deciding factor after 2 great games

Its because we are a top running team mainly. Can't be our 26th ranked passing offense.
[ Edited by Young2Rice on Sep 27, 2012 at 8:34 PM ]
Great QBs miss yes.

smith isn't great. If he wants to be, he needs to hit more then he doesn't. Especially when we were down. I watched the rest, it was basically the same thing all game. Yeah he was under pressure, but when he wasn't he went for the short routes and also bailed from pockets unnecessarily.

our offense is built on short routes

joe montana saw the playbook during the offeseason last year before we stepped on the field this is what he said

According to Super Joe, "Jim's offense pretty much resembles a lot of what we ran with the old 49ers with Bill Walsh. Smith has to understand they're going to give him places to make plays. He doesn't have to try to throw the ball down field, he'll have a lot of options to work with. He has to learn he can drop the ball down for five or six yards and that's good. Completions are a big part of this".

and so far we have done a great job at that

we have the LEAST 3rd downs in nfl the least meaning we dont even have 3rd downs any mroe

we have 6th most yards per drive so per drive only 5 teams on average move the ball further down the field than us

were 7th in points per drive meaning only 6 teams score more points on average than us on a given drive

you can make the arguement we are top 10 in offense in both terms of yards and points
[ Edited by 49ersalldaway126 on Sep 27, 2012 at 8:38 PM ]
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Yes QBs miss those throws but it's with our offense there's too much at stake

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/drivestats

were top 7 i points per drive and 6 in yards per drive

we are a top 10 offense accordintng to that

our offense is doing fine one bad game shouldnt be the deciding factor after 2 great games

What I meant was that we don't throw much a game so when we miss completions then hurt more then say a passer who throws 40-50 times a game

If our defense didn't play lights out then we would be 0-3 right now
Great QBs miss yes.

our offense is built on short routes

joe montana saw the playbook during the offeseason last year before we stepped on the field this is what he said

According to Super Joe, "Jim's offense pretty much resembles a lot of what we ran with the old 49ers with Bill Walsh. Smith has to understand they're going to give him places to make plays. He doesn't have to try to throw the ball down field, he'll have a lot of options to work with. He has to learn he can drop the ball down for five or six yards and that's good. Completions are a big part of this".

and so far we have done a great job at that

we have the LEAST 3rd downs in nfl the least meaning we dont even have 3rd downs any mroe

we have 6th most yards per drive so per drive only 5 teams on average move the ball further down the field than us

were 7th in points per drive meaning only 6 teams score more points on average than us on a given drive

you can make the arguement we are top 10 in offense in both terms of yards and points

Regarding Joe's comment. I'm not seeing him use his many options. Not this past Sunday.
Originally posted by Method:
Originally posted by JiksJuicy:
Q: On the other side of the ball, do the 49ers lack a downfield presence?

COSELL: That's a very interesting question. I watched the tape and there were not many downfield route combinations called. That really surprised me.

Looool at people trying to twist this around. The gameplan was garbage. We didn't run ANY deep routes. Our coaching staff nneeds to step it up

exactly.... more deep routes. and idk why people always get butt hurt over Cosell's input... One thing that I always get nervous about is the O-line holding up in pass protection waiting for the long pass routes to develop...
Originally posted by defenderDX:
exactly.... more deep routes. and idk why people always get butt hurt over Cosell's input... One thing that I always get nervous about is the O-line holding up in pass protection waiting for the long pass routes to develop...

There are a couple of posters who pull out Cosell every time they want to knock Smith...seems to be over used. He's a guy with an opinion who does not impress me more than most of the talking heads. There has been group think about Smith for years and it will be slow to die. At least Cosell has moved somewhat...some never will.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Hater? Nope but I will point out trends after watching tape. So are you an Alex-hater? Then watch the tape and prove us wrong...

Yet you call people who point out trends in Alex Smiths play that they see on "tape" haters.
Regarding Joe's comment. I'm not seeing him use his many options. Not this past Sunday.

but he has the other 2 games

like i said previously one game shouldnt be a deciding factor especially after many consequtive well played games
That first drive the Vikings drove on us...... Why are we playing zone so much. Why arent we challenging the TE's more, and being physical. That 3rd & 10 play just outside the 20..... brought only 4 rushers, one of which was Cox, and played Rogers and company played nice comfy zone letting the TE gash us up the seam for an easy 10 yard catch to convert... ugh..
[ Edited by defenderDX on Sep 27, 2012 at 9:08 PM ]

Originally posted by DirtyP:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Hater? Nope but I will point out trends after watching tape. So are you an Alex-hater? Then watch the tape and prove us wrong...

Yet you call people who point out trends in Alex Smiths play that they see on "tape" haters.

Pointing out a trend would seem to need numerous examples over a long period of time. Most of the posts on here do not go into that kind of detail...including mine. So the pointing out of trends then looks like just selective examples that support a POV. That is why I really enjoy the analysis of Marvin, Oldman9er, NCommand and others. They get into the intricacies of the game in a way that helps inform, rather than just debate. When I grow up and retire I hope to join them...if I can develop the skill set!

but he has the other 2 games

like i said previously one game shouldnt be a deciding factor especially after many consequtive well played games

Alex played his game average...1 TD and under 300 yards

The defense wasn't a beast

I was trying to imagine JH's speech to the team on Monday or Tuesday. If I had been JH I would have burned a symbolic tape in front of the team and said, "Put that one behind you! I was terrible, Alex was terrible...all of us played below our ability. Now let's get ready for the Jets!" I actually thought Smith played fair but well below his or my expectations no doubt.
Originally posted by Bootlegger:
Originally posted by mkmasn:
Originally posted by mkmasn:
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
I have to say i think your analysis on Moss is completely off for this game. He was wide open all game and only had 1 I would consider a drop. So out of the 7 targets, he only dropped 1, and caught 3, with the rest being poorly thrown balls..

Three throws to him were either overthrown or behind him. Overthrown at 5:31 left to go in the 1st quarter, where Moss is coming across the field right on 2nd and 6. Thrown behind him at 2:21 left in the 1st quarter, where Moss is lined up on the left side and runs a 10 yard slant to the inside. Overthrown at 13:15 left in the 2nd quarter, where Moss is at the goal line. I actually think Moss had a good day, but the balls just weren't thrown well enough to him.

Did you watch the coaches film? I did, and I agree with the op.

I watched the coaches film and the real game film. I really do not think that the coaches film provides enough depth perception or angle of the three plays I am talking about to the point where someone can blame Moss on those passes. The real game film gives better angles of those passes, and I stand by my earlier statement.

I agree with you on the overthrow at the pylon. But if you watch his route on his 10 yard "slant" on 2nd and 6, he's not running a slant. Nor does he look for the ball. And it is not thrown behind him, Moss hits the ball with his outstretched hand. Had the ball been thrown behind him, it would have hit a defender. Had the ball been thrown any further ahead of him, a defender would have picked it. There was a very small window for Alex to throw into. It could have been a little lower, but it definitely doesn't look behind him. I can't find a link to the actual game footage. If you have one, I'll look there also.

It's in the Niner Talk section called "Vikings Game in 720p" or something along those lines.

Ok, watched it on the 720p link. Same thing. Moss puts his left hand out in front of him and hits it. Moss was not ready for the ball. It's at 23:32 in the video. Moss doesn't even has his head turned until the ball is out of Smith's hand. Smith read immediate pressure and got his just after the throw. Sorry, That's on Moss. That was double coverage. One Vike on Moss' back shoulder the whole way because of the inside move, one Vike in the Zone Moss got into when the ball hit him. That was a pretty good throw.

Ok so it's either a poorly placed ball or its bad route running on Moss. Agree to disagree then.

Except for it's not a bad throw if you watch it. It's actually a really good throw. You can disagree however much you want. ALex made a good hot read, put the pall between two defenders and Moss didn't even look for it.

Sorry you can't accept the fact Moss didn't have a good game because Smith missed him on one deep throw.
OP updated with second half analysis.
Share 49ersWebzone