There are 278 users in the forums

49er/Minn Coaches Film Pass Offense Analysis

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by DirtyP:
Lol you just proved my point. Not only do you deny that Alex Smith had a bad game, you say that anyone who says as much needs to write a 3 paragraph report proving why or else they are just a "hater". He had a bad game man what does it take for you to admit that is true?

Funny! Why support your opinion with facts! A bad game with a QBR of 81 for his worst game of the year. This 81 is higher than the three game QBRs averages for Brees, Vick, Cutler, Newton...and others. It is not generally considered a bad QBR except for really good QBs so I guess this is your assessment of Smith? Really good?
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Funny! Why support your opinion with facts! A bad game with a QBR of 81 for his worst game of the year. This 81 is higher than the three game QBRs averages for Brees, Vick, Cutler, Newton...and others. It is not generally considered a bad QBR except for really good QBs so I guess this is your assessment of Smith? Really good?

Wow. Are you guys serious? My assessment is that the defense struggled and the QB could do absolutely nothing to pick up his team. Its pretty sad that after watching mediocre QB play for so long that you actually think a game like last weeks was a good one for Smith. Have you ever heard the term making a play?
[ Edited by DirtyP on Sep 29, 2012 at 10:51 AM ]
Lol you just proved my point. Not only do you deny that Alex Smith had a bad game, you say that anyone who says as much needs to write a 3 paragraph report proving why or else they are just a "hater". He had a bad game man what does it take for you to admit that is true?

How about this stat.... L with 3 sacks and two turnovers

But who cares he has a QBR better than guys with rings....while doing it with almost the same stats for his career
Wow. Are you guys serious? My assessment is that the defense struggled and the QB could do absolutely nothing to pick up his team. Its pretty sad that after watching mediocre QB play for so long that you actually think a game like last weeks was a good one for Smith. Have you ever heard the term making a play?

I'm re-reading my post and do not see where I said Smith's play was "good." I actually said that it would be considered a bad game for a very good QB. Then I asked you if you were calling Smith a very good QB and you did not respond. But that's OK...I'm use to you changing the subject rather than addressing legitimate questions.

I believe Smith had a so-so game and that he is approaching the "very good" status. He may already be there. At any rate, Brees has had games of 70, 72 and 92 QBR this year. I wonder if his coach being gone makes a difference? Or is that just an excuse?
Originally posted by NCommand:
I never said Staley had the worst game. He'd probably be pretty high on the list if you looked at individual performances though b/c he gave up another sack/forced fumble and Alex got out of another should be-sack and various other pressures/hits forcing Alex to move and throw off timing with his receivers. Like I said after the GB game, teams are going to target him even more. For whatever reason, Detroit didn't as much but the Vikings did and it worked. As to Alex, like one said earlier, he was 21 for 27 at one point with a TD and a couple dropped passes, a couple overthrows, etc. Not bad at all. It means our first reads were open or he was fitting it in there in tight windows and guys like Crabtree/VD were making those catches. He didn't play nearly as bad as someone from your POV might suggest. As to reasons why we lost, again, Alex would be pretty far down that list when you look at the overall picture, starting with the coaches and game plans.

I don't critique haters...I challenge their baseless arguments b/c haters always have a clear POV/agenda and instead of objectively looking at the full picture, they focus on one thing and support it like tobacco researcher are paid to do (BTW: Smoking IS bad for you!).

That's what I appreciated about BrianGo's assessment. People were complaining that Aldon has lost s step, wasn't providing any pressures, etc. He watched the tape, analyzed it and disproved that notion.

And until the haters get off their personal agenda and skewed POV, they will ALWAYS be challenged by people who do their homework...true fans that are looking for the truth and identify ways we can get better!

Two words: reading comprehension.

How you spun what I actually said into your agenda/comprehension is quite the skill set you've got there!

So let's just agree to, I guess, disagree and look forward to some redemption tomorrow and get back on the W track!
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:

But who cares he has a QBR better than guys with rings....while doing it with almost the same stats for his career

Another province heard from! Yes, sacks are the QBs fault...exclusively! That is why I think everyone agrees Rodgers is a terrible QB! Has nothing to do with the line. And an interception and fumble with three minutes left in the game and down by two TDs? Ya, how dare he. Game was over and he was hoping his receivers would actually run their routes as planned...once again...how dare he!

The nice thing is that he never, ever criticizes his receivers. Not even when VD use to fail to turn when Smith was being blitzed and was hit in the back by the ball...never a word blasting VD. Unlike you, he knows this is a team game and blaming one player or another is just not necessary or valid.
Originally posted by oldman9er:
From now on (assuming these coaching films will be available), I will do my weekly thing and leave notes on significant and relevant plays that require checking of the deep downfield positioning of players. Should make things clearer. Would like to get far more detailed, but I hate the excess typing and there are just not enough days in the week.

Time for building a template? Thanks once again for the analysis! Very clear on the Future site...which I seldom visit but may visit more in the future.

As for Staley--I have always liked him and appreciated his mobility, but he has struggled at pass protection and is not a mauler in the run game. Is he misplaced in our scheme? They do use him well at times by moving him around, but I believe they could be much more helpful if they had a WR or TE chip his guy before sliding out for a short route...especially when he faces a Matthews type rusher. AD seems much improved and able to get by more on his own.

Your earlier comments on the middle of the line really bother me and I know part of it may be Boone learning the position, but Goodwin is an old vet and just doesn't seem strong enough to maintain a pocket! Boy do I miss: Quillan, Cross, Sapolu, Newberry and even Heitmann. The niners always seemed to have a strong center in the old days (even with Qullan being 6'5" 261 pounds...LOL!). Much of their success was scheme but they were very bright and creative within that scheme.

PS--where are you gaining access to the coaches film?

only from the person kind enough to post the links here in the WZ ... look at the top threads stickied on the 1st page in NT.

As for Staley... I wouldn't know where else to put him other than LT. He lacks strength for any other spot, but he does have the feet and quickness to be a great LT. So.. what's his problem? Well for one, he stated that he wasn't prepared for the power of Mathews... that speaks to a certain laziness on his part to study his opponents. Hopefully, he learned his lesson, and an article stated that he spent "all night" going over film of one of the subsequent games. Staley gets beaten in a variety of ways (in/out/through).. so it's hard to pin down what will fix his issues. Now that said, NO ONE is perfect or asked to be perfect on every play. He does need to not get beaten so quickly though.. at times.

As for the interior OL, well... read my recent posts about Zone Blocking. I have hated Iupati as a ZB from the beginning, and now I hate Boone in it just as much.
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:

Another province heard from! Yes, sacks are the QBs fault...exclusively! That is why I think everyone agrees Rodgers is a terrible QB! Has nothing to do with the line. And an interception and fumble with three minutes left in the game and down by two TDs? Ya, how dare he. Game was over and he was hoping his receivers would actually run their routes as planned...once again...how dare he!

The nice thing is that he never, ever criticizes his receivers. Not even when VD use to fail to turn when Smith was being blitzed and was hit in the back by the ball...never a word blasting VD. Unlike you, he knows this is a team game and blaming one player or another is just not necessary or valid.

Rodgers had 8 freak'n sacks in the first half....how is that not Rodgers' fault. They were lauding his running and pocket presence since last year. Those receivers didn't run short routes, look back early to help him out in the second half did they.... couldn't have ...they aren't that good. He made them good.

Wow! And those lighting quick release, with amazing accuracy. Those aren't 5-10 yarders completion are they. Amazing how accurate he is throwing that short.
[ Edited by qnnhan7 on Sep 29, 2012 at 11:58 AM ]
  • Jiks
"Coach Musgrave told us at the beginning of the week that he thought he had a plan to beat them," Percy Harvin said. "He wasn't just saying that to say it. All week each (position) coach came up and gave us an example of why they felt we should beat this team and how we matched up with them."

More from the Star Tribune: "Musgrave employed a balanced, aggressive approach to keep his offense from becoming too predictable. He set the tone on the opening drive, which spanned 16 plays and ended with a 1-yard touchdown pass from (Christian) Ponder to tight end Kyle Rudolph. The Vikings used eight runs and eight passes in their longest scoring drive since 2006. They began with this sequence of play calls: run, pass, run, pass, run, pass, run, pass, run, pass.

"Musgrave called eight running plays for Adrian Peterson, four passes to Rudolph and two screens to Harvin on the drive."

Warning Cohn material.

http://www.pressdemocrat.com/article/20120929/sports/120929427?p=2&tc=pg
Share 49ersWebzone