49er/Minn Coaches Film Pass Offense Analysis

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by jreff22:
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Wide open and easy pass. What happened is he wanted Gore on the roll out. It was covered and Smith failed to make the next throw. This was a theme throughout this game. What is most disconcerning is these short passes are taken in agame we are losing badly.

re watching this play

whoever is on Gore would have an angle to pick the throw from Alex if it was a straight shot. would rather see Gore take his guy left to open the lane, there was a lot of garbage in the general vicinity....look at 35:36

Of course. But there is a clear pass to their rigth towards the sideline. It would take a little bit of touch but this is routine for an NFL QB. smith made this thro against the Lions to VD for a TD with a bloody nose. Exept in this case there are a lot of defenders around. Played it safe down 17-3.

Gore's defender isn't going to follow him back to the left AWAY from the roll out back into traffic.

If Gore turned to look at Alex and broke left he might've. If Crabs had drifted a little deeper toward the corner a floater would work.

If Crabs? He already was open.
No. A bullet would've gotten picked...watch the play from the different angle on the film. The guy following Crabs was close enough to get in the way of a lob...he was already breaking down on Crabs.

And not attempting the pass would get us what? You know how everyone says they never see our receivers make great plays. Well, I would take our receivers (Crabs, Moss, VD) in a jump ball if placed at the right spot over a MIN backup FS.
[ Edited by Joecool on Sep 28, 2012 at 1:24 PM ]
I skimmed ahead to the 4th quarter offense... play after play... run or pass.. we are just missing blocks. It's like every play, someone is f**king up...
Originally posted by Joecool:
And not attempting the pass would get us what? You know how everyone says they never see our receivers make great plays. Well, I would take our receivers (Crabs, Moss, VD) in a jump ball if placed at the right spot over a MIN backup FS.

That's great but Moss and VD were not in the mix on that play.
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
Don't know if he checked out of the play but it was a designed sprint all the way. We didn't bother to play fake. Which kinda bothers me. We ran the ball twice previously. So a run fake would at least hold the DE a little. Instead it's a out right sprint with the DE on Smith's a** the whole way.

Agreed...it was head down full sprint from the snap! Both Gore and Crabtree look upset...wonder if they missed the audible or mad at Alex b/c he improvised and paid for it b/c of the great play by the defense.
Originally posted by KowboyKiller:
This is almost as ridiculous than the non-throw to Moss in the preseason. He didn't throw it, get over it.

So we arent allowed to discuss a throw that should have been made, that would have completely changed the landscape of the game? Ok dude.
Originally posted by oldman9er:
I skimmed ahead to the 4th quarter offense... play after play... run or pass.. we are just missing blocks. It's like every play, someone is f**king up...

Wondering if the Dome's loudness had more of an affect that we realized.

Edit: Have you done your OL analysis yet?
[ Edited by NCommand on Sep 28, 2012 at 1:29 PM ]
Originally posted by 80sbaby24:
Originally posted by KowboyKiller:
This is almost as ridiculous than the non-throw to Moss in the preseason. He didn't throw it, get over it.

So we arent allowed to discuss a throw that should have been made, that would have completely changed the landscape of the game? Ok dude.

This is great stuff...reviewing film and getting everyone's angle/perspective.
Originally posted by NCommand:

Nah... not what I'm seeing... middle screen to Hunter... Goodwin and Staley stand there and block.. no one???

quick pass to Crabtree snuffed out because VD couldn't block his DB?

It's just one fail after another... telling you... just one of those days...

Edit: Have you done your OL analysis yet?

http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=500184

May not be as detailed as wanted, but I had a busier week...
If it were a designed sprint, then why was Kyle and Crabs out there running routes instead of.. blocking?

Yeah, that's what I was just editing...either he called an audible in that loud stadium (on 3rd down in the RZ and in the Dome - possible) and nobody got the call OR (more likely), Alex made an individual call to sprint right which is why Gore originally turned for the pass and blocked late (and weak) and per Crabtree's aftermath reaction. Either way, like you said, Alex was running full speed from the get-go and it was a tremendous play by their DE and CB to stop them short!

I don't think it was a run play. It's a sprint option. Smith checked to see if someone is open between Williams and Crabtree to the end zone. If nothing is there, then it turns into a run for the first down. If the defender on Gore decides to crash down on Smith then he would dump off to Gore to get the first. In this case the defender stayed until he sees Smith commits to running for the first. Slipped Gore's block and stopped Smith short.

I misread your previous post. I don't think it's strictly a sprint right run play.
[ Edited by qnnhan7 on Sep 28, 2012 at 1:45 PM ]

Don't know if he checked out of the play but it was a designed sprint all the way. We didn't bother to play fake. Which kinda bothers me. We ran the ball twice previously. So a run fake would at least hold the DE a little. Instead it's a out right sprint with the DE on Smith's a** the whole way.

Agreed...it was head down full sprint from the snap! Both Gore and Crabtree look upset...wonder if they missed the audible or mad at Alex b/c he improvised and paid for it b/c of the great play by the defense.

I am sorry, but it absolutely is NOT a "head down" full sprint by Smith. There are clear visuals of him looking into the endzone while he is running. Now I have no doubt that what you are saying is correct NCommand....that Smith never really intended to make the throw. But to me thats the problem, not a justification as to why he didnt.
I am sorry, but it absolutely is NOT a "head down" full sprint by Smith. There are clear visuals of him looking into the endzone while he is running. Now I have no doubt that what you are saying is correct NCommand....that Smith never really intended to make the throw. But to me thats the problem, not a justification as to why he didnt.

You can be critical of him sure. But remember that he's got to make the decision fast either throw it into the endzone or get the first down and running out of room fast going to the sideline with the DE on him. The good percentage would be the safer play with Gore blocking up front he just needs to get 3-4 yards for the first down. I have no doubt had that defender not slip by Gore as quick as he did, Smith would have gotten the first down. Then we would be talking about 3 more tries into the end zone.

Oh no worries...appreciate the response!

Agreed. I just don't know WHY he didn't throw...b/c he was already at a full sprint from the DE (who should NOT have been there in the first place - he crashes inside and then is free to sprint after Alex's fake handoff-spin roll right) or if it's b/c the play design was changed to a sprint right and the guys didn't get that audible or b/c Alex ad libbed by himself all the way into a full sprint from the get-go (so there was no intention of risking a quick strike - just get those 3 yards, take a breath and score on the next series).

And like gnnhan7 said, either way this is a split second decision on a sprint and he didn't make the wrong call...it just wasn't executed and the defense made one hell of a play.

Believe me, it's just MHO, but if he just missed it, I'd have NO issues calling him out on it. QB's are going to miss plays...like Gore missing at least three blocks this game or Staley or the DL doing nothing or the S's being late and not being able to cover another TE, etc. I just have to remember to post the positives too!
[ Edited by NCommand on Sep 28, 2012 at 2:48 PM ]

Thank you so much!

You should update this part:

3rd and 3 at MIN 7 A.Smith scrambles right end to MIN 6 for 1 yard (A.Winfield). designed rollout... and no one was open... nothing

[ Edited by 80sbaby24 on Sep 28, 2012 at 2:52 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone