LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 165 users in the forums

49er/Minn Coaches Film Pass Offense Analysis

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by oldman9er:
http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=500184

May not be as detailed as wanted, but I had a busier week...

Thank you so much!

They're good notes. I read through while I was doing mine. Just a few little things I saw a little different, but overall, we saw much of the same thing. OL getting beat frequently, some good throws by Alex, some bad throws by Alex, a couple miscues by the receivers, and a couple misses by Alex.
  • GORO
  • Veteran
I never said Staley had the worst game. He'd probably be pretty high on the list if you looked at individual performances though b/c he gave up another sack/forced fumble and Alex got out of another should be-sack and various other pressures/hits forcing Alex to move and throw off timing with his receivers. Like I said after the GB game, teams are going to target him even more. For whatever reason, Detroit didn't as much but the Vikings did and it worked. As to Alex, like one said earlier, he was 21 for 27 at one point with a TD and a couple dropped passes, a couple overthrows, etc. Not bad at all. It means our first reads were open or he was fitting it in there in tight windows and guys like Crabtree/VD were making those catches. He didn't play nearly as bad as someone from your POV might suggest. As to reasons why we lost, again, Alex would be pretty far down that list when you look at the overall picture, starting with the coaches and game plans.

I don't critique haters...I challenge their baseless arguments b/c haters always have a clear POV/agenda and instead of objectively looking at the full picture, they focus on one thing and support it like tobacco researcher are paid to do (BTW: Smoking IS bad for you!).

That's what I appreciated about BrianGo's assessment. People were complaining that Aldon has lost s step, wasn't providing any pressures, etc. He watched the tape, analyzed it and disproved that notion.

And until the haters get off their personal agenda and skewed POV, they will ALWAYS be challenged by people who do their homework...true fans that are looking for the truth and identify ways we can get better!
I tweeted Staley and told him , " Joe you are getting Alex Killed! Why have you started the season so poorly?" He responded back to me, " I will be better!! Ready for the JETS!"
Originally posted by GORO:
I tweeted Staley and told him , " Joe you are getting Alex Killed! Why have you started the season so poorly?" He responded back to me, " I will be better!! Ready for the JETS!"

THAT is awesome! I sure hope so. I love the guy (and so does my son). I'd love nothing more for him to play pro-bowl, top-100 player level and shore up that left side consistently and give Alex a peace of mind over there on the blind side like he seems to have on the right side. The middle seems 50/50 esp. with the G's blowing it on some assignments.
[ Edited by NCommand on Sep 28, 2012 at 3:06 PM ]

THAT is awesome! I sure hope so. I love the guy (and so does my son). I'd love nothing more for him to play pro-bowl, top-100 player level and shore up that left side consistently and give Alex a peace of mind over there on the blind side like he seems to have on the right side. The middle seems 50/50 esp. with the G's blowing it on some assignments.

Yeah that is REALLY awesome!!

Sometimes I feel like people hold Staley to the same standard as the rest of the players on the line. I think that is ridiculous based on the fact that he a) is routinely matched up against the DL's best rusher and b) he plays the most difficult position on the line itself. I agree he has a ton of work to do (like everyone else), but if he was our RG instead of our blind side tackle, people would likely be praising him and bashing his replacement.
  • GORO
  • Veteran

Wish our line was better at pass protections! Love the run blocking, they just smash defenders.
Originally posted by mkmasn:
http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=500184

May not be as detailed as wanted, but I had a busier week...

Thank you so much!

They're good notes. I read through while I was doing mine. Just a few little things I saw a little different, but overall, we saw much of the same thing. OL getting beat frequently, some good throws by Alex, some bad throws by Alex, a couple miscues by the receivers, and a couple misses by Alex.

Yeah, I've compared side-by-side mine with his and doing mine w/o even reading his and compared. It's about 95% spot on with mine and just some small semantical differences...so much in fact I just rely on his analysis to do my 1st and 3rd down production posts!
Originally posted by 80sbaby24:
Yeah that is REALLY awesome!!

Sometimes I feel like people hold Staley to the same standard as the rest of the players on the line. I think that is ridiculous based on the fact that he a) is routinely matched up against the DL's best rusher and b) he plays the most difficult position on the line itself. I agree he has a ton of work to do (like everyone else), but if he was our RG instead of our blind side tackle, people would likely be praising him and bashing his replacement.

Agreed but so far, the entire OL has had to face some pretty good DL's and individual players. I will give you the WILL/RDE typically is your best pass rusher though. But he also gets a TON of help from Iupati who typically mauls his man off the LOS and then drops back and helps Staley out while still keeping his man in front of him. If Iupati wasn't so effective, we could see a monster collapse on that left side b/c of Staley. He has really gotten beat even more this year than last so far...BUT, he knows it, owns it and is focused on getting better. Now if we could get Alex and the coaching staff to light a fire under his ass vs. a GORO tweet, we'd be golden! LMAO. Way to go GORO!
Yeah, I've compared side-by-side mine with his and doing mine w/o even reading his and compared. It's about 95% spot on with mine and just some small semantical differences...so much in fact I just rely on his analysis to do my 1st and 3rd down production posts!

Really try to be as fair as possible... not much point in doing these if I'm just gonna color it. But, that said.. without having that coaches film, I admit as I did at some points in there that I can't see how the downfield coverage looks. I have more of an affinity for analyzing the trenches anyway.

Wish our line was better at pass protections! Love the run blocking, they just smash defenders.

We all do...esp. Alex/Roman. Imagine how much more we could install (deep packages, 5 and 7-step drops, more crossing patterns, more levels of the WCO, etc.).
[ Edited by NCommand on Sep 28, 2012 at 5:54 PM ]

Really try to be as fair as possible... not much point in doing these if I'm just gonna color it. But, that said.. without having that coaches film, I admit as I did at some points in there that I can't see how the downfield coverage looks. I have more of an affinity for analyzing the trenches anyway.

Totally, we now have almost ALL of the perspectives we need from the developing passing plays and coverages to the trenches. It really helps paint a more objective picture even if perspectives can be a little different from time to time; great body of work esp. over time!

Personally, I think Staley is over-rated. He is not a top 10 LT. BUT, he was voted to the pro-bowl, and coaches and players have a hand in that. They would know better than me.

I AM NOT making excuses for Smith because I think it has been the coaches design. With Staley facing Matthews in week 1 and Allen in week 3, and with all the roll-outs we saw in week 3, I bet the coaches game plan was for quick looks for the passing game and then dumps or tucks and runs. We all saw what happened at the end of the game with Allen coming free and a sack fumble. They certainly wanted to make sure to avoid that early.

I think we will go back to pounding the run and hopefully add play-action looking deep against the Jets.

Totally, we now have almost ALL of the perspectives we need from the developing passing plays and coverages to the trenches. It really helps paint a more objective picture even if perspectives can be a little different from time to time; great body of work esp. over time!

From now on (assuming these coaching films will be available), I will do my weekly thing and leave notes on significant and relevant plays that require checking of the deep downfield positioning of players. Should make things clearer. Would like to get far more detailed, but I hate the excess typing and there are just not enough days in the week.
From now on (assuming these coaching films will be available), I will do my weekly thing and leave notes on significant and relevant plays that require checking of the deep downfield positioning of players. Should make things clearer. Would like to get far more detailed, but I hate the excess typing and there are just not enough days in the week.

Time for building a template? Thanks once again for the analysis! Very clear on the Future site...which I seldom visit but may visit more in the future.

As for Staley--I have always liked him and appreciated his mobility, but he has struggled at pass protection and is not a mauler in the run game. Is he misplaced in our scheme? They do use him well at times by moving him around, but I believe they could be much more helpful if they had a WR or TE chip his guy before sliding out for a short route...especially when he faces a Matthews type rusher. AD seems much improved and able to get by more on his own.

Your earlier comments on the middle of the line really bother me and I know part of it may be Boone learning the position, but Goodwin is an old vet and just doesn't seem strong enough to maintain a pocket! Boy do I miss: Quillan, Cross, Sapolu, Newberry and even Heitmann. The niners always seemed to have a strong center in the old days (even with Qullan being 6'5" 261 pounds...LOL!). Much of their success was scheme but they were very bright and creative within that scheme.

PS--where are you gaining access to the coaches film?
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Sep 29, 2012 at 8:23 AM ]
Originally posted by Joecool:
There's been difference in the translation of film review.

I will take what Cossell said in the Murph and Mac interview today:

Last year they hid Alex Smith. They haven't done much different this year but in this last game, their "Shot" plays did not work. He also said Moss was so wide open that whoever's fault it is, you still need to hit that.

It is obvious Alex could not lean on great play design and call.

And no, he's not a Niners fan or a Niner hater. You would be surprised what non-bias opinions actually are of Alex Smith. Just ask the teams that wanted him so bad in Free Agency.

it is hard to take you seriously anymore Joe, you flip more than an Amish woman at a pancake social
I never said Staley had the worst game. He'd probably be pretty high on the list if you looked at individual performances though b/c he gave up another sack/forced fumble and Alex got out of another should be-sack and various other pressures/hits forcing Alex to move and throw off timing with his receivers. Like I said after the GB game, teams are going to target him even more. For whatever reason, Detroit didn't as much but the Vikings did and it worked. As to Alex, like one said earlier, he was 21 for 27 at one point with a TD and a couple dropped passes, a couple overthrows, etc. Not bad at all. It means our first reads were open or he was fitting it in there in tight windows and guys like Crabtree/VD were making those catches. He didn't play nearly as bad as someone from your POV might suggest. As to reasons why we lost, again, Alex would be pretty far down that list when you look at the overall picture, starting with the coaches and game plans.

I don't critique haters...I challenge their baseless arguments b/c haters always have a clear POV/agenda and instead of objectively looking at the full picture, they focus on one thing and support it like tobacco researcher are paid to do (BTW: Smoking IS bad for you!).

That's what I appreciated about BrianGo's assessment. People were complaining that Aldon has lost s step, wasn't providing any pressures, etc. He watched the tape, analyzed it and disproved that notion.

And until the haters get off their personal agenda and skewed POV, they will ALWAYS be challenged by people who do their homework...true fans that are looking for the truth and identify ways we can get better!

Lol you just proved my point. Not only do you deny that Alex Smith had a bad game, you say that anyone who says as much needs to write a 3 paragraph report proving why or else they are just a "hater". He had a bad game man what does it take for you to admit that is true?
Share 49ersWebzone