There are 233 users in the forums

FootballOutsiders: 'Dewey Defeats DVOA!' (Vikings Didn't really outplay 49e

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by WookieOftheYear:
Originally posted by Joecool:
Yes, but you are comparing one play to a multiple of good plays he made happen. I will take what he does more of than one possible mistake.

He also has 4TD and 0 INT for the year.

Sooner or later those throws he makes are gonna come back to bite him. Those 2 fadeaways passes aint gonna work all the time

When they are short distance throws like those, he will win more games than he loses attempting those plays. QB can't always rely on the players around him to step up.
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Doesn't matter in the real world. Parcells had it right - "You are what your record says you are."

I thing we are THE BEST team in football but we have to prove it every single week. We need to go out every week and thoroughly beat the living hell out of everyone we play in all 4 phases of the game: Offense, Defense Special Teams and Coaching.

That means we need to start running the score up every single chance we get.

Ask the Packers that!
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by ninerfan4life:
Biggest fluke win of the year. We are still the best team in the NFL with the best defense!

No the Seahawks win over the packers is the biggest fluke win of the year.
Biggest fluke win of the year. We are still the best team in the NFL with the best defense!

Ha! Yeah right bud.

I would love to think that also, but I think we''re not elite at one particular position and that will hinder us in the meaningful games. I would say that Jim Harbaugh is arguably the best coach in the league.
Originally posted by Kolohe:

You say of the year. I say in MANY years. I seriously cant remember the last time that a game was handed to a team by the refs like that.

http://footballoutsiders.com/any-given-sunday/2012/any-given-sunday-vikings-over-49ers

I seriously don't know what some people see when they watch the games. oldman and some others, I'm sure you try very hard on your play by play but some things you say regarding Alex and your vision of what you see him do or must go through compared to other QB's is questioning:

From the article above:

Bill Barnwell called this game a case of the Vikings "out Niner-ing the Niners," and while that rings true to me in some ways, the Vikings also have an offensive philosophy in the passing game that the 49ers are not really built to stop.

Call of the Game
Minnesota faced fourth-and-goal from the 1 with 7:25 left in the first quarter. Many a head coach would be content to take the three and start the game with a lead, but Leslie Frazier would have none of it. He sent Christian Ponder out, called a play-action bootleg, and despite the fact that Dashon Goldson was barreling down on Ponder, Ponder sent a strike to Kyle Rudolph for seven.

"Adrian Peterson's presence and Ponder's own natural running ability allows Minnesota to run a lot of play-action."

"Right now, though, the passing portion of this offense is built on finding the first or second read, and putting the ball in Harvin's hands."

They rely heavily on Harvin and Ponder's ability to run. It wasn't just a "lucky" game by Ponder. That's what he does.

Wait a minute....in other threads, your mantra on Ponder last week is that he played great WHEN THE PLAYS BROKE DOWN...unlike Smith. NOW, you are saying that this was all part of the game plan? Seems contradictory to me, dude.
Originally posted by 80sbaby24:

You say of the year. I say in MANY years. I seriously cant remember the last time that a game was handed to a team by the refs like that.

still don't know how they called it roughing the passer on that INT. QB was out of the pocket and the hit was NOT even close to being late.
Originally posted by NineFourNiner:

http://footballoutsiders.com/any-given-sunday/2012/any-given-sunday-vikings-over-49ers

I seriously don't know what some people see when they watch the games. oldman and some others, I'm sure you try very hard on your play by play but some things you say regarding Alex and your vision of what you see him do or must go through compared to other QB's is questioning:

From the article above:

Bill Barnwell called this game a case of the Vikings "out Niner-ing the Niners," and while that rings true to me in some ways, the Vikings also have an offensive philosophy in the passing game that the 49ers are not really built to stop.

Call of the Game
Minnesota faced fourth-and-goal from the 1 with 7:25 left in the first quarter. Many a head coach would be content to take the three and start the game with a lead, but Leslie Frazier would have none of it. He sent Christian Ponder out, called a play-action bootleg, and despite the fact that Dashon Goldson was barreling down on Ponder, Ponder sent a strike to Kyle Rudolph for seven.

"Adrian Peterson's presence and Ponder's own natural running ability allows Minnesota to run a lot of play-action."

"Right now, though, the passing portion of this offense is built on finding the first or second read, and putting the ball in Harvin's hands."

They rely heavily on Harvin and Ponder's ability to run. It wasn't just a "lucky" game by Ponder. That's what he does.

Wait a minute....in other threads, your mantra on Ponder last week is that he played great WHEN THE PLAYS BROKE DOWN...unlike Smith. NOW, you are saying that this was all part of the game plan? Seems contradictory to me, dude.

Their game plan is one read which is very similar to ours. It is Ponders ability that allows that offense to make plays when that one or 2 reads don't work.

Alex can choose to do this also. I just don't think he can do it as well as Ponder. It is obvious Ponder displayed more athleticism and awareness.

I hope that was clear. If Alex doesn't stand there like a statue after his first read, then he would be making more plays...but then that's where the awareness factor comes in.
f**k FBO..they said we'd win 8 games. they don't know s**t
Is Ponder more athletic? Looked like it.
Did he outplay Smith last week? Yep.
Did Smith stand like a statute? I don't think so.
Is your point clear to me? No. I still don't get it. That's ok.

still don't know how they called it roughing the passer on that INT. QB was out of the pocket and the hit was NOT even close to being late.

or how that was PI on shields. seahawks are very, very lucky
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame

lmao true!!!!
I hate football outsiders and their statistics. Niners were flat on the road. Smith overthrew Moss, Whitner dropped a pick six, etc. It happens.

Not sure where you are getting your assumption:

"...Ponder's own natural running ability allows Minnesota to run a lot of play-action." I sure they run play action to complete the pass within the design of the play over Ponder running around and finding a WR out of his route.

Not sure where you are getting your assumption:

"...Ponder's own natural running ability allows Minnesota to run a lot of play-action." I sure they run play action to complete the pass within the design of the play over Ponder running around and finding a WR out of his route.

?
Share 49ersWebzone