LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 225 users in the forums

Week 3: Thoughts after rewatching the game...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  1. Why are we dropping so many damn balls. Smith's completion % should be through the roof right now if we would actually catch the balls he throws that should be caught....it cost us this game.
  2. Whitner is horrible in coverage and he cannot catch at all either. He dropped one in GB that should have been a pick six, and dropped another one this week that would have probably won us the game in the end....and he sucked when covering Rudolph. We need a SS that actually play the game. The only good thing he did all year was knock out that dude on the Saints last year.
  3. Smith is playing out of his mind right now...he was the only guy keeping us in the game on Sunday but he can't catch the balls too.
  4. Our defensive line played horrible.
Bunch of missed tackles on defense. I don't know if there a guy to blame in particular without re-watching closely but a lot of guys should have been dead to rights but stayed on their feet and got more yards than they should have.
Ok
Originally posted by Method:
What?

He said that Alex left "SO MANY plays on the field.... Minnesota left (some) of those other receivers wide open (because Alex couldn't see them)."

If there were wide open receivers, I'd like to see it on the coaches film because from what I've heard, there were not many. It'd be nice to see some pics of those guys because IMO our play calling was well below even average, and had way too many short or intermediate routes by almost every player. If Alex was the one at fault, It'd be nice to get confirmation. Right now I put the blame on the game plan because it was just so mediocre.

Sure I will be happy to post. Would you like it in this thread, via PM, or a new thread called "Alex's Missed Plays"?

It takes time to find the plays, take the screenshots, draw on them in paint to highlight my point, upload, post.. etc... You get the picture. :)

I should also say that I believe Alex Smith is a solid B+ QB, and will help us win games. He just had one of his worst games against MIN.
[ Edited by Marmatag on Sep 25, 2012 at 3:56 PM ]
  • Jiks
Originally posted by Marmatag:
Ok
Originally posted by Method:
What?

He said that Alex left "SO MANY plays on the field.... Minnesota left (some) of those other receivers wide open (because Alex couldn't see them)."

If there were wide open receivers, I'd like to see it on the coaches film because from what I've heard, there were not many. It'd be nice to see some pics of those guys because IMO our play calling was well below even average, and had way too many short or intermediate routes by almost every player. If Alex was the one at fault, It'd be nice to get confirmation. Right now I put the blame on the game plan because it was just so mediocre.

Sure I will be happy to post. Would you like it in this thread, via PM, or a new thread called "Alex's Missed Plays"?

Post them here please.
Okay. I'm still at work, I'll start compiling it later. It takes time so please be patient :)
Okay. I'm still at work, I'll start compiling it later. It takes time so please be patient :)

Cool. I'm patient and will enjoy comparing to my play by play.
Originally posted by oldman9er:

Cool. I'm patient and will enjoy comparing to my play by play.

Please do it from Coaches Film if you can! Its THE only way to assess passing plays. TV is great for OL, DL, etc. but terrible for showing the whole field. You dispel many myths of "Moss was wide open!" Trust me...
  • Jiks
NEW YORK (AP) -- Comments on the San Francisco 49ers by the AP Pro32 panel (ranking in parentheses):

---

SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS (5)

Chris Berman (ESPN, 3) - Week 3 mulligan.

Clifton Brown (Sporting News, 4) - Performance at Vikings looked like a rare letdown under Jim Harbaugh.

Cris Collinsworth (NBC Sports, 6) - Comment currently unavailable

Rich Gannon (CBS Sports/SiriusXM NFL Radio, 6) - Stubbed toe against the Vikes because they couldn't run it with Gore. My one concern, not sure they are good enough right now at WR.

Bob Glauber (Newsday, 4) - Life at the top of the power rankings lasted all of a week for the Niners, who didn't have an answer for the Christian Ponder-Adrian Peterson show in Minny.

Rick Gosselin (Dallas Morning News, 4) - The 49ers went 2-1 against NFC North in their first three games.

Clark Judge (CBSSports.com, 6) - No, I don't get too concerned about that loss in Minnesota. Sooner or later the 49ers were going to trip. It just so happened it was sooner. These guys are not going to go away.

Ira Kaufman (Tampa Tribune, 6) - Frank Gore was no factor after falling behind early at Minnesota.

Pat Kirwan (SiriusXM NFL Radio/CBSSports.com, 5) - They looked asleep last week but still a very balanced team. Alex Smith is good enough to keep this team in the top ten all year.

John Lynch (Fox Sports, 4) - The 49ers are the latest team to feel the wrath of my No. 1 ranking. They will be back!

Alex Marvez (Foxsports.com, 4) - For one of the few times during Jim Harbaugh's coaching tenure, the 49ers failed to show as much intensity as the opposition during last Sunday's 24-13 loss at Minnesota. Don't expect a repeat this Sunday against the New York Jets.

Dan Pompei (Chicago Tribune, 5) - Oops. Let's give them a mulligan. Next time we count that drive into the woods.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/ap-pro32-comments-49ers-203229704--nfl.html
Originally posted by bigwads:
  1. Why are we dropping so many damn balls. Smith's completion % should be through the roof right now if we would actually catch the balls he throws that should be caught....it cost us this game.
  2. Whitner is horrible in coverage and he cannot catch at all either. He dropped one in GB that should have been a pick six, and dropped another one this week that would have probably won us the game in the end....and he sucked when covering Rudolph. We need a SS that actually play the game. The only good thing he did all year was knock out that dude on the Saints last year.
  3. Smith is playing out of his mind right now...he was the only guy keeping us in the game on Sunday but he can't catch the balls too.
  4. Our defensive line played horrible.

Our MLB's and S's have never been able to cover TE's esp. in the RZ.

Agreed!
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
blaming jet lag and a bit of overconfidence. Expect a 180 against the Jets. Coming home sunday night 3-1.

• sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by JiksJuicy:
NEW YORK (AP) -- Comments on the San Francisco 49ers by the AP Pro32 panel (ranking in parentheses):

---

SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS (5)

Chris Berman (ESPN, 3) - Week 3 mulligan.

Clifton Brown (Sporting News, 4) - Performance at Vikings looked like a rare letdown under Jim Harbaugh.

Cris Collinsworth (NBC Sports, 6) - Comment currently unavailable

Rich Gannon (CBS Sports/SiriusXM NFL Radio, 6) - Stubbed toe against the Vikes because they couldn't run it with Gore. My one concern, not sure they are good enough right now at WR.

Bob Glauber (Newsday, 4) - Life at the top of the power rankings lasted all of a week for the Niners, who didn't have an answer for the Christian Ponder-Adrian Peterson show in Minny.

Rick Gosselin (Dallas Morning News, 4) - The 49ers went 2-1 against NFC North in their first three games.

Clark Judge (CBSSports.com, 6) - No, I don't get too concerned about that loss in Minnesota. Sooner or later the 49ers were going to trip. It just so happened it was sooner. These guys are not going to go away.

Ira Kaufman (Tampa Tribune, 6) - Frank Gore was no factor after falling behind early at Minnesota.

Pat Kirwan (SiriusXM NFL Radio/CBSSports.com, 5) - They looked asleep last week but still a very balanced team. Alex Smith is good enough to keep this team in the top ten all year.

John Lynch (Fox Sports, 4) - The 49ers are the latest team to feel the wrath of my No. 1 ranking. They will be back!

Alex Marvez (Foxsports.com, 4) - For one of the few times during Jim Harbaugh's coaching tenure, the 49ers failed to show as much intensity as the opposition during last Sunday's 24-13 loss at Minnesota. Don't expect a repeat this Sunday against the New York Jets.

Dan Pompei (Chicago Tribune, 5) - Oops. Let's give them a mulligan. Next time we count that drive into the woods.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/ap-pro32-comments-49ers-203229704--nfl.html

Rich Gannon with an indictment on our use or non-use of Randy Moss? Have to wonder if Gannon is talking out of his a** or if it is a growing sentiment among the talking heads?
I don't know if it's fair to say the show belonged to Ponder-Peterson. More to Ponder and then Rudolph and Harvin. They have those 2 players and then Peterson on offense. We should have been able to take care of one of them (Harvin or Rudolph) along with Peterson. We did pretty well on Peterson 25 for 86 and no touchdowns. Although, a few late runs you could clearly see he was bringing much more intensity than the 49ers. Still I think it was as much on us being flat and dropping balls, missing opportunities as much as it was them playing well.

Side note on coach's film. I have seen it on other games and to be honest it's hard to get a full understanding of what is happening. Sure it's easy to say so and so was open but without knowing the play call which non of us do it's hard to be 100% certain alex made a good or bad play.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Sep 25, 2012 at 5:31 PM ]
Rewatching game now, for the 100th time, Goldson wrongfully flagged for unnecessary roughness. That was a clean shoulder to the chest. Hopefully those will be reviewable one day.
Originally posted by truekingcarlos:
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Thats the thing tho. It ISN'T the "same old Alex". He just had a bad game. All QBs have bad games. Hell, Peyton Manning threw three INTs in the FIRST QUARTER last week. Alex had an 81 rating yesterday and has a 102 rating for the season.

Lets just have some perspective.

PM is on a new team with new players and took a year off because of a severe injury. So that comparison doesnt work.

Only reason he has a decent rating is because he constantly checks the ball down. He passed 204 yards on 34 attempts and that 5.82 yards per attempt which is not good, so that qb rating really doesn't mean much. the fact is he only led the offense to 10 points and thats even with Franky averaging over 6 yards per carry. The first two games was against awful defenses, just look at what 2nd year player Jake Locker did to the Lions 29/42 378 yards 2tds....numbers alex hasn't even come close to.

Uh...yards per attempt is a BIG part of QB rating so the Rating DOES mean something.

Your right....Alex Smith didn't throw the ball 42 times. Sigh.

Ya know what? I'm done. I'm tired of defending Alex to peeps who just want to see him fail so they can be "right".

Moving on.
Exactly, why defend a man to someone who wants to see that man fail regardless of the consequences to the team. I wouldn't even call that person a fan.

this.
Didn't the MIN Safety get injured? Why are we the only team never to take advantage of injuries in the secondary?
Share 49ersWebzone