There are 111 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Some things I've noticed after 3 weeks

Originally posted by lordfangio:
Originally posted by SealTeam6:
Do overs don't count in the NFL, one chance is all you get- see NY Giants superbowl ring. We lost and it's ours to own forever. Anyone thinking playoffs and a superbowl win are a given for this team is kidding themselves bad.

Is the Super Bowl a given for ANY team?

You must be new here
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
The pass rush has fallen off a cliff from last year. This was no more so evident than today where it seemed that Ponder had all the time in the world to throw. As you mentioned, not having a 3rd legitimate OLB is killing us right now.

Also, the Vikings exploited us again and again when they moved Ponder away from the pocket. We just had no answer for the bootlegs and rollouts. I think this will get fixed but I hope it doesn't become a trend.

Offensively, to me it was just a lack of execution today. Some of the playcalling was questionable at times but we just seemed too stagnant. I agree that we need to go vertical a little more.

I'd also like to mention that we've just had too many special teams mishaps:
Week 1: Punt return for TD (shouldn't have happened but still..)
Week 2: Fumbled kickoff return by Hunter
Week 3: Blocked field goal

This has got to change around.

is aldon wmith best used as a starter---i still think he gives more pass rush if used like last year...of course that would mean finding an olb to play in the base defense
Originally posted by nevadalove9ers2:
Sus is rights about alex's arm. Smiths inability to power a ball through a defense is a big liability. He does not have the qb inuition it takes to play with a small arm. He has to throw at what he sees and it takes a big arm to do that.

i think cj spillman should start for donte whitner..clearly whitner doesnt have the hands to make an interception, and he will on occassion give up a td to a tight end like kyle rudolph...
[ Edited by hofer36 on Sep 24, 2012 at 12:02 AM ]
Originally posted by hofer36:
i hear this call to go vertical and ask, in response, who is the guy who can get open deep? moss could in his prime, but i havent seen him do so with the niners...in the bronco game they ran him deep and he had 2 defenders running stride for stride with him....manningham is not a speedster, he made a big play downfield in superbowl but that doesnt make him a deep threat...crabtree has played really well in all 3 games but he is not a dep threat either...i think he will set up a db for a few deep passes in future games, as he is catching mostly short and intermediate studd, and is prmined to get open deep on a hitch and go

the niners best deep threat, the guy who can most easily get open deep is vernon davis..they tried it once vs lions and he couldnt catch a well thrown pass when db made great play on the ball
the 2nd est deep threat is probably jenkins, or ginn

with the quickness and burst he showed today id like to see kye williams get some passes from the slot where he has achance to create after the catch

I actually remember 3 defenders in that play. But I'm not going to judge Moss as a deep threat based off one play in preseason.
i hear this call to go vertical and ask, in response, who is the guy who can get open deep? moss could in his prime, but i havent seen him do so with the niners...in the bronco game they ran him deep and he had 2 defenders running stride for stride with him....manningham is not a speedster, he made a big play downfield in superbowl but that doesnt make him a deep threat...crabtree has played really well in all 3 games but he is not a dep threat either...i think he will set up a db for a few deep passes in future games, as he is catching mostly short and intermediate studd, and is prmined to get open deep on a hitch and go

the niners best deep threat, the guy who can most easily get open deep is vernon davis..they tried it once vs lions and he couldnt catch a well thrown pass when db made great play on the ball

with the quickness and burst he showed today id like to see kye williams get some passes from the slot where he has achance to create after the catch

great question....

Ginn has speed but isn't on the field. Jenkins was drafted to be that guy but the way things have looked, we may need him to be the guy, now.

If Ginn is out again or not 100% I would like to see Celek get deactivated and Jenkins take his place. How bad could it hurt to get the kid 10 snaps and maybe 3 targets? You never know until you use him!!
Originally posted by jreff22:

great question....

Ginn has speed but isn't on the field. Jenkins was drafted to be that guy but the way things have looked, we may need him to be the guy, now.

If Ginn is out again or not 100% I would like to see Celek get deactivated and Jenkins take his place. How bad could it hurt to get the kid 10 snaps and maybe 3 targets? You never know until you use him!!

Could be our game changer ? But we will never know
Originally posted by BayArea:
Yeah lose to the Vikings...

/season

....change up the roster and start the rooks.

I want to see our rooks in action! Big play potential
[ Edited by YungAce on Sep 24, 2012 at 12:12 AM ]
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:

great question....

Could be our game changer ? But we will never know

His draft placement and salary should warrant a little PT. I dont buy the "we are hiding players" crap.....why hide stuff when you lose?
  • GORO
  • Veteran
Originally posted by toeshawn:
I think Alex just chooses to not to take that "risk" unless its to Vernon lol

Alex Smith doesnot trust his recievers, only VD is the guy he will throw deep to. Alex had played accurate and smart the first two games, but he was off today and the play calling of Roman (Run Coordinator, Stanford) was lacking imagination. Aldon Smith was getting some pressure but Ponder would roll to his right and make plays that was more Ponder than lack of pass rush.

As far as Jenkins and Lamichael james I would like to see them play as well. I feel sorry for the jets whom will be punished for this loss.
Originally posted by sfout:
Yeah lose to the Vikings...

/season

....change up the roster and start the rooks.

You know he isn't saying that. He is saying why did we make a point to say we improved the roster but 2 of the 5 people we added to make our roster "more explosive" aren't even playing then what was the point in hyping up the change?

I know but the impression is that starting our 1st and 2nd round picks are going to make this offense explosive. Highly doubt that and frankly I feel safer using even a washed up play maker, one that has been a starter in the league, over that. No way Jenkins outperforms Manningham on a starting roster, and Moss made the roster for a reason. Work in progress at best not game changer in Jenkins, not yet. LaMicheal would be on the roster if he was able to beat our guys out. You want those guys out there just to get some practice?

Not saying our guys are the best but the rookies aren't the answer. I swear some people want Keap, Jenkins, and LaMicheal starting our offense next week.
This has nothing to do with Kap. I would gladly sacrifice Dixon on ST to put the ball into James's hands in space.

At some point teams with stop playing Moss 10 yards deep and then what? We have no speed and explosiveness on the offense....the guys we got to fix that are wearing street clothes on Sunday.

Ok but you think Jenkins is going to give us that explosiveness? I bring Keap up because it is just like the other guys making assumptions. What you think our coaches are retards? You don't think they would have him starting if it meant "explosiveness" ?

Preseason clearly showed Jenkins and James have some work to do before either is a legit starter. At this point Jenkins can't compete with Ginn or K. Willaims for a starting role (his closest competition). James is behind a stacked set of backs so he too has a long way to go. Dixon while not great has size on him and experience.

After today's gameplan, playcalling, and adjustments....retarded would be a fine description.

I think they try to be cute and hide stuff for future reasons and sometimes waiting is a bad idea.

Preseason was a month ago and I would hope they have progressed. Ginn hasn't done s**t so 0 competition to talk of. The stacked set of backs included Gore, Hunter....Dixon who never plays and Jacobs who has been hurt.

Not impressed.

My point is they would get starts if they were capable or more adept than the other guys.
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
They came out playing like they were waiting for someone to make a play. That's what it looked like to me. They couldn't match the intensity of the Vikings. Whatever the reason for that, it would be an excuse. They didn't get it done. The Vikes played a good game. There wasn't any 'we beat ourselves' crap.

We usually land the first punch, this time the Vikings did. When you're looking for someone to make a play it's not the 10 yard out.
what I noticed in the 3 weeks was that we had pass rush against the Packers, Rodgers looked lost in the 4th qrt.

In the game against the Lions we pretty much did the same with Stafford, though Stafford had more time in the pocket but no one was really open. rewatching the game there wasnt much pressure there, for most of the game Stafford couldnt throw because of the secondary coverage. And I gave the Lions O-line a pass grade somewhat.

I havent seen the Vikings game yet but I have a feeling that what little pass rush we had in the Lions game was non existent unless we blitzed going by most peoples comments.
Originally posted by ace49ers:
what I noticed in the 3 weeks was that we had pass rush against the Packers, Rodgers looked lost in the 4th qrt.

In the game against the Lions we pretty much did the same with Stafford, though Stafford had more time in the pocket but no one was really open. rewatching the game there wasnt much pressure there, for most of the game Stafford couldnt throw because of the secondary coverage. And I gave the Lions O-line a pass grade somewhat.

I havent seen the Vikings game yet but I have a feeling that what little pass rush we had in the Lions game was non existent unless we blitzed going by most peoples comments.

The intensity and fire in the pass rush just isn't there right now. We covered well in the secondary in the packer and lions game but we never really pressured Rodgers or Stafford. Maybe Aldon being an every down player has something to do with it, but if they don't find that intensity/fire soon, teams will no longer be scared of us. Teams that can run and pass, will be successful.

This is where the offense needs to step up. Maybe the coaching staff new eventually teams will adjust and thats where the offense needed to step up. But that hasn't happen yet so far. In the first 2 games, the defense carried us again where the offense did just enough. The Vikings game, we needed the offense to carry us and they just couldn't do it. We can't rely on the defense to carry us this season otherwise AZ will definitely take the crown in the division.
alll this talk about stretching the field...i dno't recall one deep pass by the vikings :P
First of all, we are spoiled. The Harbaugh era has been filled with wins and competitive losses. This is the first time we were badly beaten and out of contention in a Harbaugh coached game.

That being said, the team looked unprepared, disengaged and maybe even overconfident. I have to give great credit to the Vikes, their game plan was well executed. Ours was pathetic, lacked creativity and was not adjusted as the game went on.......on neither side of the ball.