There are 135 users in the forums

Some things I've noticed after 3 weeks

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Eduardo75:
Originally posted by fryet:
My suspicion is that the 49ers are calling long passing plays, however Alex ends up getting sacked, because the OL can't block long enough, or Alex doesn't trust the read and holds the ball too long. The 49ers MO is short passes, and balanced running attack. It wouldn't surprise me if we wanted to create the impression that we had a strong aerial attack in this game, to force future opponents to worry about the deep throw. That failed, so we will go back to running and short throws. I fear, though, that opponents won't respect the deep throws and just run man defense on the outside (Cover 0), and play a short zone to stop the run and short pass. Until we start having some 40 yard pass plays, I fear it will just make the defenses we face more aggressive.

Defensively, it looks like we are better playing nickel than 3-4. I don't know that we can continue to trust the nickel so much. With SOAP injured and not 100% (if playing at all next week), it will make a nickel defense even more attractive against the Jets. I don't know if they have a rush offense that is worth worrying about.

I was at the Sunday Night game and on a few instances Smith had Moss deep 1 on 1, looked that direction, and didn't pull the trigger... This has been going on since last year.. The wheel routes to Delanie against Baltimore and NY in the NFC Title game... Wide open, didn't pull the trigger.. Greg Cosell wrote a pretty good article on that last year..

Not to turn this into a Alex bashing fest, I neither hate or love the guy, I'm not in either of those camps.. But I'm ready for the Kaepernick Era.. I really am, gowning pains or not... At least he can pull it down and take off for 30 and slide...

You really think that if Kap gave the team the best chance to win he wouldn't be starting? Harbaugh has lost 5 out of 21 games since becoming head coach, that doesn't happen when you start the wrong players. Alex is the QB and he has proven to be a winning QB in this system. It's ridiculous to see people immediately call for a reshuffle on the roster after we lose a game that everyone could see was a trap game. MN wanted it more, and we came out flat thinking we could handle them after beating two playoff teams.
[ Edited by trogdor on Sep 23, 2012 at 9:29 PM ]
I felt we played flat on D in the second half vs the lions and we continued that into this week. If the defense struggles then the offense struggles. we know now its the D that carries the team. as far as reciever i think MM and Crabs should be starting. they are solid.
This is the end of days....2013 looks good though

but seriously...At some point they had to lose, Smith was going to throw a pick, Gore is gonna fumble. This game builds character and humility. I don't think the overall character of the team got bigheaded with all the power rankings and accolades but it might have seeped in there a bit. I figured they'd lose to a team that people didn't think would hold much of a chance.

The intensity wanst there, even Harbaugh looked twice as pissed in the last two weeks than he did this week. This is a teaching moment, I think good will come from it especially with living as they will together in Youngstown.
  • teeohh
  • Veteran
Originally posted by jreff22:
Originally posted by susweel:
I called it in the per season I don't think Moss has much left he can't run by anybody now days.

I agree the defense needs more rotations in the d line.

As far as throwing deeper that's probably not gonna happen cuz Alex has one of weaker arms in the league.

Alex can throw the ball 35 yards easily.....why the plays aren't being called is the bigger question right now.

I think Alex just chooses to not to take that "risk" unless its to Vernon lol
Originally posted by toeshawn:
I called it in the per season I don't think Moss has much left he can't run by anybody now days.

As far as throwing deeper that's probably not gonna happen cuz Alex has one of weaker arms in the league.

Alex can throw the ball 35 yards easily.....why the plays aren't being called is the bigger question right now.

its possible but why more calls werent made for Vernon is perplexing
Originally posted by toeshawn:

its possible but why more calls werent made for Vernon is perplexing

Alex played to what was called and did it well. I didn't see any trips or 4 wide formations... It's like JH played a preseason game again
The pass rush has fallen off a cliff from last year. This was no more so evident than today where it seemed that Ponder had all the time in the world to throw. As you mentioned, not having a 3rd legitimate OLB is killing us right now.

Also, the Vikings exploited us again and again when they moved Ponder away from the pocket. We just had no answer for the bootlegs and rollouts. I think this will get fixed but I hope it doesn't become a trend.

Offensively, to me it was just a lack of execution today. Some of the playcalling was questionable at times but we just seemed too stagnant. I agree that we need to go vertical a little more.

I'd also like to mention that we've just had too many special teams mishaps:
Week 1: Punt return for TD (shouldn't have happened but still..)
Week 2: Fumbled kickoff return by Hunter
Week 3: Blocked field goal

This has got to change around.
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
The pass rush has fallen off a cliff from last year. This was no more so evident than today where it seemed that Ponder had all the time in the world to throw. As you mentioned, not having a 3rd legitimate OLB is killing us right now.

Also, the Vikings exploited us again and again when they moved Ponder away from the pocket. We just had no answer for the bootlegs and rollouts. I think this will get fixed but I hope it doesn't become a trend.

Offensively, to me it was just a lack of execution today. Some of the playcalling was questionable at times but we just seemed too stagnant. I agree that we need to go vertical a little more.

Thank you. One of the most rational and reasonable posts I've seen post-Armageddon.
We do self scouting better than any team in the NFL, Jim and the coaching staff will figure out our main areas where we need improvement and we will right the ship and rack up more W's.
This league is all about how you handle the losses not the wins, any team looks good when they win. It's all about how you bounce back from a L, look at the Giants and Packers. After week one people had nothing but negative things to say about those two teams. What happens? Giants bounce back and beat the Bucs in a shootout then dust off the Panthers barely three days later in dominating fashion. Just calm down and let our team play the games before you start jumping off a cliff.

• Hopper
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:

I have to agree. I was scared to death when Brooks hurt his knee. That's how thin we are at OLB.
Originally posted by lordfangio:
Originally posted by monsterzero789:
This, our D shut down two of the most explosive offenses in the league. Vikings just played a great game, nothing more. If we played them again to,or row I bet it would be a different outcome. Just wasn't our day

Do overs don't count in the NFL, one chance is all you get- see NY Giants superbowl ring. We lost and it's ours to own forever. Anyone thinking playoffs and a superbowl win are a given for this team is kidding themselves bad.
Originally posted by SealTeam6:
Do overs don't count in the NFL, one chance is all you get- see NY Giants superbowl ring. We lost and it's ours to own forever. Anyone thinking playoffs and a superbowl win are a given for this team is kidding themselves bad.

Is the Super Bowl a given for ANY team?

Wait, so you called that a 35 year old WR whos been out of the league for over a year wasnt going to be an impact player? Way to go out on a limb...

i hear this call to go vertical and ask, in response, who is the guy who can get open deep? moss could in his prime, but i havent seen him do so with the niners...in the bronco game they ran him deep and he had 2 defenders running stride for stride with him....manningham is not a speedster, he made a big play downfield in superbowl but that doesnt make him a deep threat...crabtree has played really well in all 3 games but he is not a dep threat either...i think he will set up a db for a few deep passes in future games, as he is catching mostly short and intermediate studd, and is prmined to get open deep on a hitch and go

the niners best deep threat, the guy who can most easily get open deep is vernon davis..they tried it once vs lions and he couldnt catch a well thrown pass when db made great play on the ball
the 2nd est deep threat is probably jenkins, or ginn

with the quickness and burst he showed today id like to see kye williams get some passes from the slot where he has achance to create after the catch
Share 49ersWebzone