LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 244 users in the forums

Some things I've noticed after 3 weeks

Shop Find 49ers gear online
After two highly emotional wins it was only a matter of time for a letdown... Not worried yet I trust our coaches to get our players heads back on right
Originally posted by jreff22:
Originally posted by BayArea:
Originally posted by sfout:
Yeah lose to the Vikings...

/season

....change up the roster and start the rooks.

You know he isn't saying that. He is saying why did we make a point to say we improved the roster but 2 of the 5 people we added to make our roster "more explosive" aren't even playing then what was the point in hyping up the change?

I know but the impression is that starting our 1st and 2nd round picks are going to make this offense explosive. Highly doubt that and frankly I feel safer using even a washed up play maker, one that has been a starter in the league, over that. No way Jenkins outperforms Manningham on a starting roster, and Moss made the roster for a reason. Work in progress at best not game changer in Jenkins, not yet. LaMicheal would be on the roster if he was able to beat our guys out. You want those guys out there just to get some practice?

Not saying our guys are the best but the rookies aren't the answer. I swear some people want Keap, Jenkins, and LaMicheal starting our offense next week.
This has nothing to do with Kap. I would gladly sacrifice Dixon on ST to put the ball into James's hands in space.

At some point teams with stop playing Moss 10 yards deep and then what? We have no speed and explosiveness on the offense....the guys we got to fix that are wearing street clothes on Sunday.

Ok but you think Jenkins is going to give us that explosiveness? I bring Keap up because it is just like the other guys making assumptions. What you think our coaches are retards? You don't think they would have him starting if it meant "explosiveness" ?

Preseason clearly showed Jenkins and James have some work to do before either is a legit starter. At this point Jenkins can't compete with Ginn or K. Willaims for a starting role (his closest competition). James is behind a stacked set of backs so he too has a long way to go. Dixon while not great has size on him and experience.
[ Edited by BayArea on Sep 23, 2012 at 8:02 PM ]
I don't care how good you think an offensive coordinates is or bad if u don't have the line & the QB to throw the ball , u won't win in the NFL.
If you watched, we got beat in the trenches and were not the aggressors. Our tackiing almost always left them getting extra yards after contact.... the offensive line was getting run around and over.... i believe it comes down to being flat. We were the aggressors in game 1 and 2....i dont believe Missesota is "more talented" or "better" than GB or DET. THey were hungrier today. Hopefully a week out of town will help get this team gelled....I would say Q1 against the Jets will tell us much more than today did.
Without trying to parrot the concerns everybody has made so far, here are some that really have stood out so far.

Issues on defense

J Smith although looking good has not been great this year. Maybe he has hit a bit of a wall and is slowing down just a tad? Not saying he is now a crap player but at he isn't going at 150mph. At some point this was going to happen and he's not looking like he did last year. Aldon looks tired and is not creating the same pressure like last year. The lack of a 3rd option off the bench is hurting the D because we have 0 rotation. I don't get the Haggins and Bakhtiari signing if we aren't actually going to use them...we are running are guys empty. I know Aldon needs to step up to become a 3 down player but sometimes guys need rest. If these guys aren't good enough to step onto the field in reserve duty they shouldn't be on the roster.

Where is the defensive pressure, where is that mean unit from last year? McDonald has not done anything of note so far and has been very meh as well. The "amazing" front 7 is looking very ordinary and this has been an issue since week 1. I cant imagine we regressed that much from lat year and I know teams couldn't of figured us out that fast. Something is a miss and needs to be corrected ASAP. And for gods sake can we please cover the TE's!!

Issues on offense

Moss has been a decoy that hasn't offered really anything like I initially expected. At this point I don't see any reason why he should be starting or even active. This stupid idea that we all talk about how we don't have a #1 because we use a rotation is looking dumb. Crabs doesn't need to come off the field for any other player, he is showing up every week. We need to figure out who the 2nd and 3rd guy are, play them, and do it fast. This mickey mouse crap isn't letting guys get into a rhythm and exploit the defense, we are going hot and cold and its starting to show. Like the thread I started prior...we have 0 big play ability. Nobody is dangerous outside of Vernon going deep on an occasional wheel route. Its time to activate James and Jenkins and create some kind of spark to move the damn ball. We lacked the speed and threat of scoring last year and supposedly fixed that in the draft....yet they don't play...doesn't sound like anything has been fixed. Why draft all these kids to sit the bench? Because we are deep...deep with ho hum talent? This is not a roster overloaded with skill position players who are all great or even very good.

Leonard Davis has been bad when he has been called to play. We got an old fat guy who has been a liability in the first 3 weeks. Why not try Kilgore or maybe Looney for gods sake.

Right now I cant see Ginn or Jacobs creating this great mismatch that we keep expecting. 3rd and short isn't killing this team and neither is ST returns.

Issues with coaching

For gods sake can we go vertical and stretch the field. Throwing 7 yard passes isn't going to win a game when the defense buckles down. Yes, Alex threw a pick, saving the streak is now gone so call the plays. Use the speed we drafted to move defenders where you want them. We aren't the loaded at WR or RB to keep these kids sitting on the bench. Gore, Crabs, and Ham have shown they deserve PT.....everybody else looks pedestrian.

Good job so far for KW....making Ginn look expendable!!

Overall today was a clusterf**k and all 3 phases looked like garbage. Next week is a MUST WIN game. And if players come out flat again its time to make some roster changes immediately. We are now chasing a team that has no business being in #1st place and don't fool yourselves.....betting on a wild card wont work this year for us. And please stop saying you want the West to be difficult an competitive...like last year people wanted a sloppy field for the payoff game and it bit us in the ass.

You absolutely nailed it.........
Originally posted by sfout:
Yeah lose to the Vikings...

/season

....change up the roster and start the rooks.

You know he isn't saying that. He is saying why did we make a point to say we improved the roster but 2 of the 5 people we added to make our roster "more explosive" aren't even playing then what was the point in hyping up the change?

I know but the impression is that starting our 1st and 2nd round picks are going to make this offense explosive. Highly doubt that and frankly I feel safer using even a washed up play maker, one that has been a starter in the league, over that. No way Jenkins outperforms Manningham on a starting roster, and Moss made the roster for a reason. Work in progress at best not game changer in Jenkins, not yet. LaMicheal would be on the roster if he was able to beat our guys out. You want those guys out there just to get some practice?

Not saying our guys are the best but the rookies aren't the answer. I swear some people want Keap, Jenkins, and LaMicheal starting our offense next week.
This has nothing to do with Kap. I would gladly sacrifice Dixon on ST to put the ball into James's hands in space.

At some point teams with stop playing Moss 10 yards deep and then what? We have no speed and explosiveness on the offense....the guys we got to fix that are wearing street clothes on Sunday.

Ok but you think Jenkins is going to give us that explosiveness? I bring Keap up because it is just like the other guys making assumptions. What you think our coaches are retards? You don't think they would have him starting if it meant "explosiveness" ?

Preseason clearly showed Jenkins and James have some work to do before either is a legit starter. At this point Jenkins can't compete with Ginn or K. Willaims for a starting role (his closest competition). James is behind a stacked set of backs so he too has a long way to go. Dixon while not great has size on him and experience.

After today's gameplan, playcalling, and adjustments....retarded would be a fine description.

I think they try to be cute and hide stuff for future reasons and sometimes waiting is a bad idea.

Preseason was a month ago and I would hope they have progressed. Ginn hasn't done s**t so 0 competition to talk of. The stacked set of backs included Gore, Hunter....Dixon who never plays and Jacobs who has been hurt.

Not impressed.
I think it's time to play Moss the whole game and see exactly what he brings to the table. You have to be able to set up the deep ball, it's not something were you put him on the field and the defense forgets that's he's Randy Moss. We play him 15 plays a game and they give him the same look 15 plays a game. You put him more and hit him on those 10 yard digs and they'll have to come up./

Defensively we might be overreacting. May have looked past them. If they're playing with a lead they're a dangerous football team. See the 2010 season. They have 2 of most explosive players in Peterson and Harvin. You have to knock them off their game and we just didn't do that.
Without trying to parrot the concerns everybody has made so far, here are some that really have stood out so far.

Issues on defense

J Smith although looking good has not been great this year. Maybe he has hit a bit of a wall and is slowing down just a tad? Not saying he is now a crap player but at he isn't going at 150mph. At some point this was going to happen and he's not looking like he did last year. Aldon looks tired and is not creating the same pressure like last year. The lack of a 3rd option off the bench is hurting the D because we have 0 rotation. I don't get the Haggins and Bakhtiari signing if we aren't actually going to use them...we are running are guys empty. I know Aldon needs to step up to become a 3 down player but sometimes guys need rest. If these guys aren't good enough to step onto the field in reserve duty they shouldn't be on the roster.

Where is the defensive pressure, where is that mean unit from last year? McDonald has not done anything of note so far and has been very meh as well. The "amazing" front 7 is looking very ordinary and this has been an issue since week 1. I cant imagine we regressed that much from lat year and I know teams couldn't of figured us out that fast. Something is a miss and needs to be corrected ASAP. And for gods sake can we please cover the TE's!!

Issues on offense

Moss has been a decoy that hasn't offered really anything like I initially expected. At this point I don't see any reason why he should be starting or even active. This stupid idea that we all talk about how we don't have a #1 because we use a rotation is looking dumb. Crabs doesn't need to come off the field for any other player, he is showing up every week. We need to figure out who the 2nd and 3rd guy are, play them, and do it fast. This mickey mouse crap isn't letting guys get into a rhythm and exploit the defense, we are going hot and cold and its starting to show. Like the thread I started prior...we have 0 big play ability. Nobody is dangerous outside of Vernon going deep on an occasional wheel route. Its time to activate James and Jenkins and create some kind of spark to move the damn ball. We lacked the speed and threat of scoring last year and supposedly fixed that in the draft....yet they don't play...doesn't sound like anything has been fixed. Why draft all these kids to sit the bench? Because we are deep...deep with ho hum talent? This is not a roster overloaded with skill position players who are all great or even very good.

Leonard Davis has been bad when he has been called to play. We got an old fat guy who has been a liability in the first 3 weeks. Why not try Kilgore or maybe Looney for gods sake.

Right now I cant see Ginn or Jacobs creating this great mismatch that we keep expecting. 3rd and short isn't killing this team and neither is ST returns.

Issues with coaching

For gods sake can we go vertical and stretch the field. Throwing 7 yard passes isn't going to win a game when the defense buckles down. Yes, Alex threw a pick, saving the streak is now gone so call the plays. Use the speed we drafted to move defenders where you want them. We aren't the loaded at WR or RB to keep these kids sitting on the bench. Gore, Crabs, and Ham have shown they deserve PT.....everybody else looks pedestrian.

Overall today was a clusterf**k and all 3 phases looked like garbage. Next week is a MUST WIN game. And if players come out flat again its time to make some roster changes immediately. We are now chasing a team that has no business being in #1st place and don't fool yourselves.....betting on a wild card wont work this year for us. And please stop saying you want the West to be difficult an competitive...like last year people wanted a sloppy field for the payoff game and it bit us in the ass.

Other than

Issues on defense

Issues on offense

Issues with coaching

Issues on defense

Issues on offense

Issues with coaching

Good post. Agreed on everything you said except Ginn. KW scares the heck out of me back there.
  • fryet
  • Veteran
My suspicion is that the 49ers are calling long passing plays, however Alex ends up getting sacked, because the OL can't block long enough, or Alex doesn't trust the read and holds the ball too long. The 49ers MO is short passes, and balanced running attack. It wouldn't surprise me if we wanted to create the impression that we had a strong aerial attack in this game, to force future opponents to worry about the deep throw. That failed, so we will go back to running and short throws. I fear, though, that opponents won't respect the deep throws and just run man defense on the outside (Cover 0), and play a short zone to stop the run and short pass. Until we start having some 40 yard pass plays, I fear it will just make the defenses we face more aggressive.

Defensively, it looks like we are better playing nickel than 3-4. I don't know that we can continue to trust the nickel so much. With SOAP injured and not 100% (if playing at all next week), it will make a nickel defense even more attractive against the Jets. I don't know if they have a rush offense that is worth worrying about.
we need Ginn and Jacobs bad!

Originally posted by susweel:
That's a good question I've been disappointed in Romans play selection. But then again we don't if its be called but he's just checking too quickly.

Yeah, Roman's play calling on 3rd and short especially has just been horrible!!!
Originally posted by fryet:
My suspicion is that the 49ers are calling long passing plays, however Alex ends up getting sacked, because the OL can't block long enough, or Alex doesn't trust the read and holds the ball too long. The 49ers MO is short passes, and balanced running attack. It wouldn't surprise me if we wanted to create the impression that we had a strong aerial attack in this game, to force future opponents to worry about the deep throw. That failed, so we will go back to running and short throws. I fear, though, that opponents won't respect the deep throws and just run man defense on the outside (Cover 0), and play a short zone to stop the run and short pass. Until we start having some 40 yard pass plays, I fear it will just make the defenses we face more aggressive.

Defensively, it looks like we are better playing nickel than 3-4. I don't know that we can continue to trust the nickel so much. With SOAP injured and not 100% (if playing at all next week), it will make a nickel defense even more attractive against the Jets. I don't know if they have a rush offense that is worth worrying about.

I was at the Sunday Night game and on a few instances Smith had Moss deep 1 on 1, looked that direction, and didn't pull the trigger... This has been going on since last year.. The wheel routes to Delanie against Baltimore and NY in the NFC Title game... Wide open, didn't pull the trigger.. Greg Cosell wrote a pretty good article on that last year..

Not to turn this into a Alex bashing fest, I neither hate or love the guy, I'm not in either of those camps.. But I'm ready for the Kaepernick Era.. I really am, gowning pains or not... At least he can pull it down and take off for 30 and slide...
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Even the sun sets in paradise.
i saw alot of situations where brandon jacobs would have come in handy. he needs to get healthy ASAP
Originally posted by Frisco69ers:
we need Ginn and Jacobs bad!

the return game and short yardage rushing were not our undoing my man
Share 49ersWebzone