There are 61 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Finally Time to Blame HARBAUGH !

I was very disappointed in Harbaugh today. I think he actually bought into this team's current success primarily by playing conservative, and that plain sucks. One of the reasons why Harbaugh is credited with the turnaround last year is bc of his ability to improvise and take chances. It was this fiery unpredictable personality that made a cellar dwellar into a contender.

Today, on 2 drives where he shouldve and couldve gone for it on 4th and 1 (both drives we were moving the chains easily), he opted to kick (1 was blocked). On several drives, he decided NOT to take advantage of a weak Vikings secondary deep. On several passing plays, we could easily see the defense giving Moss a 15 yard cushion --- only to have either Moss not get a throw OR have him on the sidelines the very next play.

And it kinda makes sense. Last week, we marched down the field in 4 plays (opening drive) and scored on Detroit. After that, we went into conservaball mode, killing the clock and letting Det hang around. I think Harbaugh has detracted from his style of coaching and has bought into the conservaball approach this team has been relying on these past few weeks. It's the same approach that Singletary used, except he was adamant on pounding the ball, whereas Harbaugh has allowed Smith to make low risk passes.

I hope he gets back to what made this team successful to begin with.
  • Garcia
  • Veteran
Worst coached game of his tenure for sure.

He got outcoached by, IMO, by the worst coach in the NFL.

I question some decisions late in the game.... Conservative play calling after KW's big kick return.
Punting with 2 score deficit and 6 min left from bout mid field
4 minute offensive playcalling (alex smith?) Running when you need to conserve time.

thats just the tip of the iceberg
[ Edited by Garcia on Sep 23, 2012 at 4:03 PM ]
Him, Frazier, and Sing were all in cahoots imo
everyone on the team except for kyle williams had a s**tty day. i wouldn't get all emotional and compare harbaugh to singletary LOL
It wasn't the best game in a lot of ways. I actually thought we got away from the run too much early. It was pass, pass, pass early in the game. Usually we establish the run first and then pass. Harbaugh has proven he is good. So 1 game doesn't mean much.
Originally posted by mella8:
I was very disappointed in Harbaugh today. I think he actually bought into this team's current success primarily by playing conservative, and that plain sucks. One of the reasons why Harbaugh is credited with the turnaround last year is bc of his ability to improvise and take chances. It was this fiery unpredictable personality that made a cellar dwellar into a contender.

Today, on 2 drives where he shouldve and couldve gone for it on 4th and 1 (both drives we were moving the chains easily), he opted to kick (1 was blocked). On several drives, he decided NOT to take advantage of a weak Vikings secondary deep. On several passing plays, we could easily see the defense giving Moss a 15 yard cushion --- only to have either Moss not get a throw OR have him on the sidelines the very next play.

And it kinda makes sense. Last week, we marched down the field in 4 plays (opening drive) and scored on Detroit. After that, we went into conservaball mode, killing the clock and letting Det hang around. I think Harbaugh has detracted from his style of coaching and has bought into the conservaball approach this team has been relying on these past few weeks. It's the same approach that Singletary used, except he was adamant on pounding the ball, whereas Harbaugh has allowed Smith to make low risk passes.

I hope he gets back to what made this team successful to begin with.

You can't blame this all on Harbaugh. Roman calls the plays remember. Lets not forget...Alex runs the offense and is responsible for throwing the ball.
Fire Harbaugh. (Joking)

Everybody has a bad game. I'm a little concerned about some of the calls Roman made, though. Fangio sucked today, too.
[ Edited by grizzlyadams on Sep 23, 2012 at 3:43 PM ]
His style has worked so far but today it caught up to us. Harbaugh definately deserves much blame on this one but he has done this team right. I hope he realizes where things went wrong and makes the adjustments. His fiery side is great and all when we are winning but can look down right foolish when we lose.
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
everyone on the team except for kyle williams had a s**tty day. i wouldn't get all emotional and compare harbaugh to singletary LOL

Imagine if Kyle won the game for us on 2 TD returns....LoL. I think that would all but makeup for last season for most of the fans.
Well look who it is...
I dont have any problem with Harbaugh refusing to go for it on 4th down. The thing that bothers me is the decision to abandon the running game. Gore looked good today but didnt have enough touches to really make a big difference. I also remember the 49ers offense being in the redzone with 2nd & 3. They proceeded to call two passing plays and failed to convert. Absolutely terrible.

As good as Smith looked in the first two weeks, he is not good enough to just go gung-ho and pass 35+ times without a complimentary running game to take the pressure off. Ideally, Smith should have 20-25 pass attempts, maybe 30 MAX.
Originally posted by ninerfan4life:
Well look who it is...

My thoughts exactly.
Originally posted by grizzlyadams:
Fire Harbaugh. (Joking)

Everybody has a bad game. I'm a little concerned about some of the calls Roman made, though. Fangio sucked today, too.

The vikes beat us at our own game plan.....run out the clock so the other team doesn't get a chance and play D. When teams do that against us, we'll be in alot of trouble.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Agreed. This game has handedly decided by our coaches conservative mindset and game plan. That series after KWs monster return reminded me off the days of Singletary, run, run, run kick -- We basically should've passed 3 times and probably even gone for it on 4th if none of the previous plays worked. Not capitalizing on either of Williams big returns was completely demoralizing for us.

If I had to prioritize blame I'd say this

1. Harbaugh / Roman / Fangio - Bad game plan from the get-go, bad playing in game, bad game management. All around bad coaching.
2. Alex - Not taking chances on the plays that were called for him, he almost hit Moss in the endzone but other then that I dont recall a single pass beyond 15 yards.
3. Gore - That random fumble really hurt us but he did perform solidly in general. That turnover helped take the game out of our hands though.
4. Defense especially Tarell Brown - Brown had a horrendous game, he didn't play through the whistle and would lag behind Harvin and Aromashodu on plays and if/when Ponder bought time he would end up hitting one of them for a big gain.
Our pass rush was "pressuring" Ponder but no one actually sacked him and that is just inexcusable based on how many times we got near him.
[ Edited by sfout on Sep 23, 2012 at 3:50 PM ]
Originally posted by Baldie:
Originally posted by grizzlyadams:
Fire Harbaugh. (Joking)

The vikes beat us at our own game plan.....run out the clock so the other team doesn't get a chance and play D. When teams do that against us, we'll be in alot of trouble.

yep, we couldn't stop them from converting first down, and when we got the ball the offense looked horrible. total team collapse (except for kyle)
Search Podcast Draft Forum Commentary News Shop Home