LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 303 users in the forums

NFC West....Should we be worried?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Silky
  • Veteran
Buffalo Bills through 5 weeks last year: 4-1, finished 6-10
SD Chargers through 5 weeks last year 4-1, finished 8-8
Washington Redskins through 5 weeks last year 3-1 (because they had a bye), finished 5-11
Oakland Raiders through 6 weeks last year 4-2, finished 8-8
Cleveland Browns through first 3 weeks last year 2-1, finished 4-12

All these teams started hot and finished shi**y last year. This stuff happens every year and I guarantee you the Cardinals and Seahawks will fall off. They will have a mid-season meltdown. People are overreacting way too much about these teams. The seahawks are starting a rookie QB and defenses will catch up to him and the Cardinals have well...Kevin Kolb. Calm down people
Originally posted by ApatheticIAm:
Buffalo Bills through 5 weeks last year: 4-1, finished 6-10
SD Chargers through 5 weeks last year 4-1, finished 8-8
Washington Redskins through 5 weeks last year 3-1 (because they had a bye), finished 5-11
Oakland Raiders through 6 weeks last year 4-2, finished 8-8
Cleveland Browns through first 3 weeks last year 2-1, finished 4-12

All these teams started hot and finished shi**y last year. This stuff happens every year and I guarantee you the Cardinals and Seahawks will fall off. They will have a mid-season meltdown. People are overreacting way too much about these teams. The seahawks are starting a rookie QB and defenses will catch up to him and the Cardinals have well...Kevin Kolb. Calm down people

+1

The only team that I'm paying attention to right now (other than the niners of course) is Atlanta. They have a very easy schedule.
  • Silky
  • Veteran
Seattle and Arizona are off to fast starts. Look closer at each team, how long has the QB had in each system? Russell has 3 games and Kolb has 4 maybe 5. The 49ers are a year or two ahead of them. That fact will become apparent in the upcoming games.
Hill naw we shouldn't be worried. Our team is better than all of those teams. Now should the rest of the NFL be worried about the NFC west? Definitely, our division is no longer the laughing stock it was considered to be just last season.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
1) Seattle
2) Arizona
3) San Francisco
4) St. Louis

Or flip 1 and 2. I just think Seattle is better. You could make a strong argument that is where things are at now.

I's rate the defenses the same way btw. And overall teams. I guess they didn't get the memo that we are supposed to be the best defense and best team.

Absolutely insane. Not true at all. We're still at the top and any unbiased person would agree.
Like I said previously, we are built to beat Seattle in Seattle and esp. at home. When a team is one-dimensional (like GB), the Seahawks are built to T-off on you. The Packers made the adjustment in the 2nd half and started playing Niner ball. They went max-protection, jumbo packages with extra TE's and OL and ran it down their throats, completed play-action passes off that and absolutely owned the TOP (clock management/control). And it worked. Wilson had, ready for this...10 completions the entire game! Why? B/c like what the Vikings did to us, they played mistake-free ball, ran effectively, completed 3rd downs, scored in the RZ and managed the clock/TOP. They kept Wilson on the sidelines like the Vikes kept our offense on the sidelines. What? How many chances did our offense even get to see the field? 6, 7 times? Scored on 4/5 of 7 chances with a blocked FG and TO's?

So if we can play our game against Seattle, we'll win both. Granted, it will most likely be a 13 to 6-type game. We'll have to stack the box more and watch for the deep play-action passes. Also, if you can put heat on Wilson, you'll want to do it from the outside to avoid his scrambling ability. You'll also have to watch the swing passes to the RB which we apparently can't stop (or cover) at all.

Tards? I think they match up against us very well...even better than Seattle d/t their defense. They are one defense that can disguise the blitz and bring it every down which is a big issue for our OL and QB/WR's and b/c of the TYPE of offense we currently run.

I'm curious to see how we do against both of these teams! Can Roman/Fangio adjust, game-plan properly, make in-game adjustments, create more receiving options for Alex if a play breaks down, play more physical up at the LOS and not give receivers nice clean, free releases, etc.? At this juncture, my concerns lie more with our coordinators than with the players and execution and that extends to dropped passes, same mental coverage errors, inability to cover RB's on swing passes, TE's in the middle of the field/RZ/EZ, etc.
[ Edited by NCommand on Sep 26, 2012 at 7:41 AM ]
I's rate the defenses the same way btw. And overall teams. I guess they didn't get the memo that we are supposed to be the best defense and best team.

lol what a joke. We lost 1 friggin game
All of this talk of the NFC west being a powerhouse is making me sick. We are 16 and 5 under Jim Harbaugh and Co, we shut down two of the best offenses in the league to open the season and scored 57 points through those 2 games. Meanwhile Seattle scored 6 legitimate points against arguably the worst defense in the NFL on monday and the Cardinals best QB is John Skelton. Anyone who thinks the Peacocks and Cardinals can sustain what they are doing now through 16 games is smoking poorly manufactured crack cocaine.
[ Edited by DirtyP on Sep 26, 2012 at 3:03 PM ]
The Cardinals play at home vs. Miami and Seattle play at St. Louis. There is a strong chance that both Seattle and Arizona win those games (more doubtful that Seattle wins, but we'll see).

Everyone thinking that these teams will bow out are missing something. It's not like the Cardinals beat 2 chump teams. There'll be there to the end.

Now I still think we will win the division, but be wary!

• susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
not worried, lol
and Wells is out again

dude can never stay healthy
Hawks and Cards will both lose on Sunday. BOOK IT.
  • Baldie
  • Veteran
You can argue that all 3 defenses are good with the niners ahead of AZ and Sea. The offenses on the other hand, I think the niners are ahead only because of the run game. AZ reminds me of the niners of 2011. They have a great D, with a "just do enough" offense with a go-to WR in Fitz. We just don't have that guy aside from Davis. The only way we are going to separate ourselves from AZ and Seattle is if Smith and the offense can prove they can win the TOP and score when they need to. If we had the Falcons ability to score paired with our defense, I'd call superbowl right now!
  • Silky
  • Veteran
I bet by the end of the season the NFC West will go like this:

San Francisco
St. Louis
Arizona
Seattle

I don't think St Louis is a bad team and they will be the ones pressuring us eventually. They have a good coach and better QB than the Cards and Seattle. Book it!
Share 49ersWebzone