There are 130 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Best safety tandem in the NFL?

Originally posted by WookieOftheYear:
Originally posted by ChazBoner:
Originally posted by WookieOftheYear:
I dont like Goldson for some reason, I just think once he gets paid his play is gonna fall off big time

you could say he should be doing that this year since he has no safety net contract, why would he put his body on the line? But he is. He's out there smackin heads with no regard for his health.
Never heard of guys taking it easy in contract years. I aint buying that. I hope im wrong but once he gets paid I think he is gonna go back to sucking

Agree with this and I also have a small concern about how strong his efforts will be after a huge payday.
( that, I admit, is a baseless gut feeling )

Still though... Goldson is making it harder and harder to elect to move on from. Still could be that behind this front 7, a young player can do as well or nearly as well... but it's a risk I hate having to take since we are looking for SBs in this and following years.

Unless we were to tag him again, I think all this talk is futile. He will either be tagged or someone else will pay him a ton in FA if his play stays this strong.
[ Edited by oldman9er on Sep 19, 2012 at 8:30 AM ]
Originally posted by OKC49erFan:
Originally posted by NinerG94:
This is the problem. It must be decided who is more valuable and worth the contract... Bowman or Goldson for example.
Tough decisions are going to have to be made. Losing some of our players is really going to suck, but we can't afford to pay everybody what they deserve.
In my opinion, it would be easier to find a safety with similar (although raw) skills as Goldson than a ILB like Bowman.

I totally disagree. Bowman is a luxury considering we have Patrick Willis Ahmad Brooks and Aldon Smith locked up. I know they are totally different positions but I'd much rather be looking for a second ILB than trying to find an elite safety. If one of your LB's gets burned you have the safety on the back end to make a play. If you get burned on the back end its play/game over. Do people not remember how long it took for Goldson to develop and how many piss poor safeties we went through before him? Last line of defense is much more important than the TED backer IMO. Bowman is better suited for MIKE backer position anyway. I know the 49ers are a bit different than the norm as far as how they use their backers but I still think it would be easier to find a veteran LB or draft a LB for that spot than it would be to try and wait on an elite safety. We'll never be picking hight enough in the draft to get one anyway.

You have a fair point. I believe we have the luxury of keeping the safeties back due to the abilities of our ILBs in covering the middle. The Front 7 being as they are allow the secondary more freedom. It is a balance within the scheme, we really are fortunate. The front 7 makes QBs uncomfortable and prone to errors, and the secondary can give the front 7 more time to get to the QB. Losing either player is going to hurt. I just see Bowman as the superior player in our scheme. Not meaning to discount Goldson, he really is growing into an excellent player.

I guess my point is, I value the front of the defense more than the secondary. Both are very important, but I think the front can keep the secondary from being exposed more often. Losing a good player form either will still suck. I do not envy Baalke being the decision maker.

Totally agree with this. I'm kind've shocked to see a niner fan calling Bowman a luxury. IMHO that's crazy talk.

We do things schematically that no one else in the league can mimic. That ability is due to special talents in our front six (our base defense so far has actually been a 3-3-5. Sopoaga has just 15 snaps in two games). It's not due to our defensive backs and definitely not due to Goldson. We heap about 3x the responsibility on our front six than we do our back five.

Goldson is a fine player, in his prime, who to his great credit came into camp in tip-top shape after a long holdout. But in our scheme he is way more replaceable than anyone in the front six. To me it's clear as day.

Bowman has the look of a perennial all-pro. If things break right for him, perhaps more than that. He's that good. Losing him as he hits his prime would be madness.
I don't think Goldson is easy to replace mainly on his ability to cause turnovers on hits or INTs. I do think both our safties coverage is easy to replace and that is primarily due to our front.

Our main concern should be finding the next Justin Smith. Not sure what we do once he's done.
Originally posted by Joecool:
I don't think Goldson is easy to replace mainly on his ability to cause turnovers on hits or INTs. I do think both our safties coverage is easy to replace and that is primarily due to our front.

Our main concern should be finding the next Justin Smith. Not sure what we do once he's done.

And to think: the Bengals let him get away - and for nothing! They just gave away the best defensive lineman in the league, a potential future HOFer in his prime, because he was going to be "too expensive."

It'll be sickening if we repeat that with Bowman.
I got to admit that I wasn't as high on Goldson as some at the start of last year. Boy was I wrong.

Whitner/Goldson are a great safety combo, and maybe the hardest hitting safeties as well?
Most of the sacks accumulated are due to coverage.
Originally posted by Joecool:

Really liked the way you phrased that. Agree.
I'd put them at 1A/1B along with Earl Thomas and Kam Chancellor. Maybe even ahead of them. Either way I think we need Goldson back. I know a lot of you say our coverage has been helped by the DL but look at these 2 games where we only rushed 3 and didn't get much pressure. It was all on the coverage. He won't be easy to replace. At the very least I would tag him one more year.
Originally posted by Allx9er:
Seattle has a pretty strong case

Agreed. You have to give Goldson and Whitner credit thought for their early season performance. They have been making plays and being very physical. The tackling has been impressive and no one has beat them deep with any consistency, even though they have tried. Maybe Goldson will finally earn his contract after another impressive season.
Originally posted by Gore_21:
I'd put them at 1A/1B along with Earl Thomas and Kam Chancellor. Maybe even ahead of them. Either way I think we need Goldson back. I know a lot of you say our coverage has been helped by the DL but look at these 2 games where we only rushed 3 and didn't get much pressure. It was all on the coverage. He won't be easy to replace. At the very least I would tag him one more year.

Yes, coverage of the secondary and LBs.
Goldson's strong suit hasn't really been his strongest suit. He really excels at hard hitting and support.
Those plays he made running up 15 yards to make the tackle on the runner were fantastic. The question still remains:
Who brings more to the defense as the 49ers scheme it?
Safety or ILB? Tough call.

Also, we talk about Willis being a futor HOFer. Bowman complements Willis about as well as is possible. Where one lacks, the other is strong.
Bowman being nearly identical to Willis, a LBer considered a future HOFer... does that not say a lot about Bowman?
Of course, the question of whether we can afford Bowman could make the decision to keep Goldson easier. Don't know what Bowman will be asking when his contract is up.

This. Let's not be totally biased now
Originally posted by defenderDX:

and with a poor pass rush.
[ Edited by 49erfeeeever808 on Sep 19, 2012 at 10:01 AM ]
Originally posted by NinerG94:
This is the problem. It must be decided who is more valuable and worth the contract... Bowman or Goldson for example.
Tough decisions are going to have to be made. Losing some of our players is really going to suck, but we can't afford to pay everybody what they deserve.
In my opinion, it would be easier to find a safety with similar (although raw) skills as Goldson than a ILB like Bowman.

I totally disagree. Bowman is a luxury considering we have Patrick Willis Ahmad Brooks and Aldon Smith locked up. I know they are totally different positions but I'd much rather be looking for a second ILB than trying to find an elite safety. If one of your LB's gets burned you have the safety on the back end to make a play. If you get burned on the back end its play/game over. Do people not remember how long it took for Goldson to develop and how many piss poor safeties we went through before him? Last line of defense is much more important than the TED backer IMO. Bowman is better suited for MIKE backer position anyway. I know the 49ers are a bit different than the norm as far as how they use their backers but I still think it would be easier to find a veteran LB or draft a LB for that spot than it would be to try and wait on an elite safety. We'll never be picking hight enough in the draft to get one anyway.
This.

And I also have a feeling Niners lock up Larry Grant as the future replacement for Bowman.

The article has no bias.
Originally posted by natrone06:

The article has no bias.

Not talking about the article.