There are 82 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Why All of the Drops with the Catchable Passes?

Originally posted by Bleed49ers4Life:
Why all the drops? Answer is Timing, Timing, Timing, oh and a bit of chemistry! Our pass catchers and Qb are just getting used to the expanded offensive scheme. Plus with Alex's new and improved mechanics and ball placement. Offensive players are just getting used to seeing the ball being put in the proper spot, which wasn't always wasn't the case in the past.

when the ball hits you in the chest timing has nothing to do with it
Game 1 -
2 clear drops... 1 debatable ( both from Walker )




Game 2 -
6 clear drops... ( Crabtree, Hunter, Gore, Miller, Walker, Manningham )




Total Clear Drops so far = 8


edit: had to make a correction.. in game 1, Walker dropped another, but there was a roughing the passer call that went our way. So the drop counts, as the 15 yarder would have simply been added to the Walker catch that was dropped.
[ Edited by oldman9er on Sep 18, 2012 at 12:19 PM ]
Originally posted by oldman9er:
Game 1 -
2 clear drops... 1 debatable ( both from Walker )




Game 2 -
6 clear drops... ( Crabtree, Hunter, Gore, Miller, Walker, Manningham )




Total Clear Drops so far = 8


edit: had to make a correction.. in game 1, Walker dropped another, but there was a roughing the passer call that went our way. So the drop counts, as the 15 yarder would have simply been added to the Walker catch that was dropped.

Do you have the aggravate total from last year? An average per game...would be a nice comparison for this year. No excuses this year...we have WAY better receivers now and Alex is throwing darts. Scary...hope this trend ends VERY soon. Guys need to be doing pushups during games and spend countless hours catching balls from Alex and the juggs machine!
Originally posted by oldman9er:
Game 1 -
2 clear drops... 1 debatable ( both from Walker )




Game 2 -
6 clear drops... ( Crabtree, Hunter, Gore, Miller, Walker, Manningham )




Total Clear Drops so far = 8


edit: had to make a correction.. in game 1, Walker dropped another, but there was a roughing the passer call that went our way. So the drop counts, as the 15 yarder would have simply been added to the Walker catch that was dropped.

And this is why the stat "drops" is very subjective. While you see Miller's as a clear drop, it was also a terrible throw. It was low, it was behind him, and it turned him around (and was incredible late arriving there). It absolutely could have been caught, but the throw was the reason it wasnt. Not sure if it showed on TV, but Alex's reaction to the play said it all.

But yes, overall, drops are a huge problem that need to be fixed.
[ Edited by 80sbaby24 on Sep 18, 2012 at 12:43 PM ]
Originally posted by NCommand:
Do you have the aggravate total from last year? An average per game...would be a nice comparison for this year. No excuses this year...we have WAY better receivers now and Alex is throwing darts. Scary...hope this trend ends VERY soon. Guys need to be doing pushups during games and spend countless hours catching balls from Alex and the juggs machine!

We had 6 drops after two games last season. So we are doing a lil worse so far. Was surprised to see that this site has the current # accurately...

SF is ranked # 2 for most drops so far... consider also that guys like Eli and Aaron threw about 20 more passes than Alex.. Romo and Schaub roughly 10 more...

http://hosted.stats.com/fb/tmleaders.asp?type=Receiving&range=NFL&rank=232
Originally posted by 80sbaby24:
And this is why the stat "drops" is very subjective. While you see Miller's as a clear drop, it was also a terrible throw. It was low, it was behind him, and it turned him around (and was incredible late arriving there). It absolutely could have been caught, but the throw was the reason it wasnt. Not sure if it showed on TV, but Alex's reaction to the play said it all.

But yes, overall, drops are a huge problem that need to be fixed.

No, 80's... ball hits you in the hands.. you catch it. It's as simple as that. Let's just end this before it starts.
Originally posted by 80sbaby24:
And this is why the stat "drops" is very subjective. While you see Miller's as a clear drop, it was also a terrible throw. It was low, it was behind him, and it turned him around (and was incredible late arriving there). It absolutely could have been caught, but the throw was the reason it wasnt. Not sure if it showed on TV, but Alex's reaction to the play said it all.

But yes, overall, drops are a huge problem that need to be fixed.

Whoa... that throw was not behind Him. Bruce was kn the right flat looking over his right shoulder. Anytime you rUN right flat you should be looking over your left shoulder. Ball was thrown right in front of his running path if he had turned thru right way imo. Either way it was a perfect pass that shouts have been caught. Its not like it was incredibly out ofnhis reach. It hit his chest
[ Edited by Method on Sep 18, 2012 at 12:51 PM ]
No matter what interpretation can be made for the Miller drop, the ball was not hard to catch and hit him in both hands at roughly waist height.
Originally posted by 80sbaby24:
And this is why the stat "drops" is very subjective. While you see Miller's as a clear drop, it was also a terrible throw. It was low, it was behind him, and it turned him around (and was incredible late arriving there). It absolutely could have been caught, but the throw was the reason it wasnt. Not sure if it showed on TV, but Alex's reaction to the play said it all.

But yes, overall, drops are a huge problem that need to be fixed.
its not subective

Hank Gargiulo of ESPN Stats & Information passed along the written standard our game charters rely upon to reduce subjectivity. This standard says drops are "incomplete passes where the receiver SHOULD have caught the pass with ORDINARY effort." Basically, we're talking about blatant drops, not the ones where your old man leans over and says anything that grazed the receiver anywhere was a drop in his day. "Only use this if the receiver is 100 ac percent at fault and no one else can be blamed for the incompletion," ESPN tells its game charters. "Pass interference that wasn't called/passes thrown just outside the receiver's reach, etc., are NOT drops."


also Ncommand


http://stats.washingtonpost.com/fb/tmleaders.asp?type=Receiving&range=NFL&rank=232
i used this site last year to caclulate our drops from last season however it is not replaced with THIS years drop stats and couldnt find last year so i have no proof currently but i did make a post a while back and i found it

last year we were 8th in overall drops but 2nd in drop % ( dropped passes/pass attempted)

we dropped 6.8% passes last year
One sequence had 3 drops in a row. No excuses. This is pro football, not pee wee. Nothing to do with "timing" either.
Originally posted by 4evrfan:
One sequence had 3 drops in a row. No excuses. This is pro football, not pee wee. Nothing to do with "timing" either.

yep.. start of the 4th quarter... 3 in a row ( including that Miller one first )...

... but we survived it and pulled out the W anyway!
Who gives a f***** if the pass to Miller wasn't perfect?

Look around the NFL, all QBs (elite ones too) have less than perfect throws each and every game.

Some people here make it sound like Miller was wide open on a 2 point conversion....
I would attribute it more to bad luck than anything else. On one of those Alex seemed to have gunned a lil harder than he probably should have...albeit it might have been an INT otherwise.......i believe it was to Manningham over the middle, went right through his hands...should he have caught it? probably, but good players drop the ball here and there...Its like Jordan shooting Free Throws, he will miss a few. Dont worry too much about it....its early in the season and we are still trying to catch a rhythm....we will lock it down soon enough.
Originally posted by prime21:
I would attribute it more to bad luck than anything else. On one of those Alex seemed to have gunned a lil harder than he probably should have...albeit it might have been an INT otherwise.......i believe it was to Manningham over the middle, went right through his hands...should he have caught it? probably, but good players drop the ball here and there...Its like Jordan shooting Free Throws, he will miss a few. Dont worry too much about it....its early in the season and we are still trying to catch a rhythm....we will lock it down soon enough.

Sounds fair. And the drop info is not to be interpreted as people panicking and freaking out. It's just one of those negatives that we need to improve on if we are to start talking about finishing off teams earlier instead of always having to sweat the last few minutes out.
Originally posted by oldman9er:
Originally posted by prime21:
I would attribute it more to bad luck than anything else. On one of those Alex seemed to have gunned a lil harder than he probably should have...albeit it might have been an INT otherwise.......i believe it was to Manningham over the middle, went right through his hands...should he have caught it? probably, but good players drop the ball here and there...Its like Jordan shooting Free Throws, he will miss a few. Dont worry too much about it....its early in the season and we are still trying to catch a rhythm....we will lock it down soon enough.

Sounds fair. And the drop info is not to be interpreted as people panicking and freaking out. It's just one of those negatives that we need to improve on if we are to start talking about finishing off teams earlier instead of always having to sweat the last few minutes out.

Good for it to come up now so they can deal with it so there's no weaknesses that remain.