There are 180 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Week 2: Thoughts after rewatching the game...

Originally posted by SFrush:
I only saw one trick play which was a failed flea flicker.

The end around to manningham on like the first play of the game was a trick play. you probably didnt notice it because it actually worked for a change
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
So this is what its come down to?? Aldon Smith's 2 sacks weren't "good" because he didn't make some great move or bull rush someone and sack Stafford in 1 second? I even saw a couple of plays that Smith nailed Stafford a split second after he got rid of the ball. I think people are just used to him coming in for one play on a drive and getting a sack. I mean what do you expect 5 highlight sacks a game?
Week 1: Joe Staley 2.5, A. Davis .5, Miller 1 = 4
Week 2: L. Davis 1, Iupati 1, V. Davis 1 = 3

7 in 2 weeks but against legit DLs/LBs... but besides Staley nobody with more than 1 IMO..... hopefully 0 next week
Originally posted by Marvin49:
I noticed against GB that L. Davis was VERY slow out of his stance. Watch Gores 23 yard run and you'll see Davis on the end and he is the slowest guy out of his stance...by alot. Kilgore is lined up behind him and looks MUCH quicker.

Yeah, Leonard should just be a run blocking short yardage/goal line guy. He's on his last days and won't be back but he's a nice vet to have for now. Looney/Kilgore/a rookie will have to take over next year.
Originally posted by THEB:
The end around to manningham on like the first play of the game was a trick play. you probably didnt notice it because it actually worked for a change

Reverses are pretty common. But okay call it two. Where are the countless others of trick plays you claim you saw?
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
Another Observation:

The Niners have made back-to-back elite QB's look very average. And I agree, we didn't really look that good, except for the drive that had Crabtree convert 3 3rd downs. That was awesome. We can be better than this

The first drive was impressive as well.
Originally posted by Jcool:
So this is what its come down to?? Aldon Smith's 2 sacks weren't "good" because he didn't make some great move or bull rush someone and sack Stafford in 1 second? I even saw a couple of plays that Smith nailed Stafford a split second after he got rid of the ball. I think people are just used to him coming in for one play on a drive and getting a sack. I mean what do you expect 5 highlight sacks a game?

Overreact much?

I qualified the statement both before and anfter and even explained what I was seeing. He didn't have very much push. Plain and simple.
Originally posted by Gore_21:
I noticed against GB that L. Davis was VERY slow out of his stance. Watch Gores 23 yard run and you'll see Davis on the end and he is the slowest guy out of his stance...by alot. Kilgore is lined up behind him and looks MUCH quicker.

Yeah, Leonard should just be a run blocking short yardage/goal line guy. He's on his last days and won't be back but he's a nice vet to have for now. Looney/Kilgore/a rookie will have to take over next year.

Agreed. He may be down to his lightest weight ever BUT remember, he's not in football shape either though (like Looney). I wouldn't mind keep playing he and Kilgore and Boone out to LT. Keep them (or get them) in shape and playing at a high level - no complacency!
it was tough to get sacks that game

stafford was in shotgun whole game and threw the ball almost immediately of course that doe not play to his strengths at all because he generally isnt that accurate which is relly why he looked bad and his stats wouldve been mediocre if it weren't for that 88 yard completion at the end of the game

defense played fine

if i have oe complaint is that we dont have an OLB rotation
Originally posted by Gore_21:
Week 1: Joe Staley 2.5, A. Davis .5, Miller 1 = 4
Week 2: L. Davis 1, Iupati 1, V. Davis 1 = 3

7 in 2 weeks but against legit DLs/LBs... but besides Staley nobody with more than 1 IMO..... hopefully 0 next week

don't get any easier for Staley next week.
Originally posted by Jcool:

Overreact much?

I qualified the statement both before and anfter and even explained what I was seeing. He didn't have very much push. Plain and simple.

There is two major things slowing down Aldon Smith, first he is playing the run/pass. He is no longer operating with the leash off. I think there has been some hesitancy with that that has made him look "slower"

Second, he is with out a doubt being game planned for, there is help, chips, ect being done. Last year a bunch of his sacks are came from stunts. Those have not been as successful.

In no way do I think his endurance is the problem. I simply thing he's getting more attention from the offense and that when he is not clear run/pass there is a slight hesitation slowing down his initial burst.

I think, injury free, he's going to be 14+ again this season. He's ability will only get scarier from here on out.
That boy Goldson was flying around making some big hits. He's become one of the better safeties in the league, might be time to lock him up long term.
Originally posted by susweel:
That boy Goldson was flying around making some big hits. He's become one of the better safeties in the league, might be time to lock him up long term.

This is his second straight contract year...milk it while he's trying, bro.
Originally posted by susweel:

No one ever doubted his ability to make hits

He still lacks coverage ability
Thanks Marvin and Oldman, always enjoy your commentary. I had a few observations as well.
1. I thought Alex Smith played very well. I thought his passes to Crabtree, V. Davis, and Manningham were very well done. I would like to see a few more down field throws, and one last night to Davis was in his hands and he dropped it and I think Manningham dropped one as well. I think next week we will see more conventional football with the Vikings.

2. Running game did well, lots of changes, variations, and pretty good line play.

3. I thought the backfield did very well. I think Culliver is going to be a stud and Brown did well also. I would not be surprised to see Goldson let go next year and Culliver moved to Safety. I think Baalke is looking long into the future. I thought that the team played Johnson perfectly.

4. I think our LBs are playing very well. Willis and Bowman are studs. I think Brooks is coming on this year. I think Aldon Smith is playing well and is still tentative about run responsibilities. I thought he hit Stafford a couple of times as well as having two sacks yesterday. 1-2 sacks a game makes it up into the 20s by the end of the year.

5. Dline was very good and held things together well and kept enough pressure on Stafford that he could not set up most of the time.

6. Oline did well. I think Boone is playing the best of all the linemen. I think Iupati is playing well. Staley had a pretty good game and even A. Davis played pretty well. It will be interesting to see what the oline looks like at the end of the year. Goodman will be replaced and hopefully Kilgore will take his place and do well. Kilgore is getting more snaps and is getting game experience. L. Davis is just bulk, hopefully Looney will end up taking over the back up guard position.

7. I think Roman kept the play calling in check. I think that the slow march down the field is partially to give the Defense some rest. But the first series they got down the field quickly and scored well. Red zone seems more aggressive this year. I think Roman/Harbaugh have the whole season scripted for the offense and are moving to getting the team ready for the playoffs. Just enough to win handily but not too much revealed too soon.

8. I thought Fangio called a very good game, and I continued to be impressed with the preparation that the coaching staff puts into the game..

9. Very good game. I hope to see the Minnesota and New York games be more points scored and systematic dismantling of the opposition. But I think Harbaugh will keep it simple and efficient. I think that the offense and defense will be playing more traditional games and we should see some pretty interesting scores.