There are 252 users in the forums

49ers evolution to the No-Huddle

Shop Find 49ers gear online
not gonna happen, too many different packages/substitutions/formations
  • fryet
  • Veteran
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:

I agree with this. It isn't going to happen.

We would like to do substitutions, which you can't do in a no huddle. We like to grind out the clock, which you can't do effectively in a no huddle.

The biggest advantages of a no huddle, is tiring out the defense and preventing substitutions. If you grind out the clock, then you are giving the defense as much time to rest as the standard offense. You would prevent defensive substitutions, but you also lose the ability to make offensive substitutions. 49er strategy depends on lots of substitutions, so I just don't see this happening.
Originally posted by fryet:
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:

I agree with this. It isn't going to happen.

We would like to do substitutions, which you can't do in a no huddle. We like to grind out the clock, which you can't do effectively in a no huddle.

The biggest advantages of a no huddle, is tiring out the defense and preventing substitutions. If you grind out the clock, then you are giving the defense as much time to rest as the standard offense. You would prevent defensive substitutions, but you also lose the ability to make offensive substitutions. 49er strategy depends on lots of substitutions, so I just don't see this happening.

It won't happen if we have the lead. It doesn't mean we don't have a no huddle. There is no need to show it to be honest. But when we have seen Smith in the no huddle it was some of the best we had seen him before Harbaugh so I see no reason why we wouldn't be good in it now
  • fryet
  • Veteran
Originally posted by redmanc07:
It won't happen if we have the lead. It doesn't mean we don't have a no huddle. There is no need to show it to be honest. But when we have seen Smith in the no huddle it was some of the best we had seen him before Harbaugh so I see no reason why we wouldn't be good in it now

I think Smith is capable of running a spread offense, whether it is no huddle or not. That is what he did in college, and he has had some impressive half games chucking the ball. I just don't think we will change our overall offensive philosophy to go no huddle. It doesn't play to our team's strengths.
It will happen if they get down and need to comeback with limited time. Not ever going to see them do it mainstay though it would go against everything they try to do. Like eat clock.
bump
I could see us doing it in a number of situations.

I think we have the personnel to do it.

I feel that JH would have it in reserve just in case we needed it like a secret weapon that the opposition didn't game plan for.
Share 49ersWebzone