There are 95 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS VS MINNESOTA VIKINGS GAMEDAY THREAD (Week 3)

Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Kaep Will throw 300+ yards

to : James, Jenkins and williams

Yah I know if Kap was playing we'd be blowing teams out.
Originally posted by fryet:
Does anyone know if the Vikings defense is better against the pass or run? I would like for our rookies to get some playing time in this game. Ideally, Colin takes over at half time, and both of our top rookies get extensive playing time.

The Vikings' secondary is worst in the league. Maybe Indy is worse, but it's close. MIN is atrocious.

Antoine Winfield might have been good-ish eight years ago, but now is just old.
Chris Cook is terrible.
3rd corner is a rookie.
FS is a rookie - Harrison Smith, the Notre Dame guy that Toby Gerhart once gave an eight yard piggyback ride to in 2009.
SS is some guy who wouldn't have made our practice squad last year.

Honestly, I don't think any of these guys would even make the 49er 53-man roster. Maybe the rookies could've been backups or something.

Last year opponent QBs passer rating against Vikings: 107.6. Worst in the league.
Originally posted by johnnyredneat:
The Vikings' secondary is worst in the league. Maybe Indy is worse, but it's close. MIN is atrocious.

Antoine Winfield might have been good-ish eight years ago, but now is just old.
Chris Cook is terrible.
3rd corner is a rookie.
FS is a rookie - Harrison Smith, the Notre Dame guy that Toby Gerhart once gave an eight yard piggyback ride to in 2009.
SS is some guy who wouldn't have made our practice squad last year.

Honestly, I don't think any of these guys would even make the 49er 53-man roster. Maybe the rookies could've been backups or something.

Last year opponent QBs passer rating against Vikings: 107.6. Worst in the league.

Good Post!

And at 107.6, that would be below Alex's season average
Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Kaep Will throw 300+ yards

to : James, Jenkins and williams

Yah I know if Kap was playing we'd be blowing teams out.
while playing with his left hand
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
Good Post!

And at 107.6, that would be below Alex's season average

i heard from vikings fans that there CB are much improved this year comparred to last they have 3 solid (although not spectacular CBs) and the y have a playmaking S who is always near the ball

there problem is that there LB suck in coverage which may actually work in our favor

also according to them they only had 1 busted play that went for a big gain through the air (keep in mind the QBs they played were gabbert and luck)

just relaying info here
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
Originally posted by johnnyredneat:
The Vikings' secondary is worst in the league. Maybe Indy is worse, but it's close. MIN is atrocious.

Antoine Winfield might have been good-ish eight years ago, but now is just old.
Chris Cook is terrible.
3rd corner is a rookie.
FS is a rookie - Harrison Smith, the Notre Dame guy that Toby Gerhart once gave an eight yard piggyback ride to in 2009.
SS is some guy who wouldn't have made our practice squad last year.

Honestly, I don't think any of these guys would even make the 49er 53-man roster. Maybe the rookies could've been backups or something.

Last year opponent QBs passer rating against Vikings: 107.6. Worst in the league.

Good Post!

And at 107.6, that would be below Alex's season average

Lol true. And after Sunday, bet that Alex's averages are going up.

Seriously though, the Vikings basically made every QB they faced last year into a guy somewhere between Brady and Brees. It's almost literally unbelievable.
Eric Branch ‏@Eric_Branch FOX announcers for #49ers game at #Vikings on Sunday: Kenny Albert and Daryl Johnston.
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
i heard from vikings fans that there CB are much improved this year comparred to last they have 3 solid (although not spectacular CBs) and the y have a playmaking S who is always near the ball

there problem is that there LB suck in coverage which may actually work in our favor

also according to them they only had 1 busted play that went for a big gain through the air (keep in mind the QBs they played were gabbert and luck)

just relaying info here

Hmm ... I respect that in-person evaluations may say something different, but...

Gabbert vs. MIN: 23/39 (59%), 260 yds, 2 TDs, 0 int. rating: 96.1
Gabbert other game: 7/19 (37%), 53 yards (lol), 1 Td, 0 int. rating: 62.8

Luck vs. MIN: 20/31 (65%) 224 yds, 2 tds, 0 int. rating: 107.5
Luck other game: 23/45 (51%) 309 yds, 1 td, 3 int, rating: 52.9

Stats may not be end-all be-all, and it's early, but those fans are arguing a pretty tough case.
[ Edited by johnnyredneat on Sep 18, 2012 at 1:58 PM ]
They will call Crabs number for TD.
Originally posted by WookieOftheYear:
Eric Branch ‏@Eric_Branch FOX announcers for #49ers game at #Vikings on Sunday: Kenny Albert and Daryl Johnston.

Originally posted by johnnyredneat:
Hmm ... I respect that in-person evaluations may say something different, but...

Gabbert vs. MIN: 23/39 (59%), 260 yds, 2 TDs, 0 int. rating: 96.1
Gabbert other game: 7/19 (37%), 53 yards (lol), 1 Td, 0 int. rating: 62.8

Luck vs. MIN: 20/31 (65%) 224 yds, 2 tds, 0 int. rating: 107.5
Luck other game: 23/45 (51%) 309 yds, 1 td, 3 int, rating: 52.9

Stats may not be end-all be-all but your friend is arguing a pretty tough case.

not really a friend was on a viking forum


i said they had crappy secondary pas rush needed work etc and this was his respons


The defense is probably more mediocre than crappy. They have been good to great against the run this year, keeping Jax around 4.0 per carry and the Colts much less than that. The secondary is stronger this year too. Dont sleep on Brian Robison, he was wreaking all kinds of chaos week 1 against the Jags, wouldnt see it just looking at the stat sheet but Robison is someone you MUST account for. I do agree, the Vikes need more from its pass rush. Specifically the interior Dline. There has been little push or penetration, resulting in QBs frequently stepping up and avoiding outside pressure. MN is a faster defense at home and will get a lot more pressure at home than on the road. They feed off of crowd noise and the Metrodome is probably one of the louder stadiums the 49ers will play in all year. Assuming the game is competitive.


However, the secondary was shored up last year. Chris Cook, Antoine Winfield and Josh Robinson have been playing well as a trio this year. The Safety tandem has been pretty good too. The Vikings struggle in coverage this year isnt due to the secondary, but due to the Linebackers. MN's LBs have struggled a lot this year, otherwise, the CBs and Safetys are still getting a lot of misguided blame. They have really only given up two big plays (Shorts TD week 1 and long pass week 2 against Winfield). Its the short dink and dunking passing game that has killed MN the first two weeks. That is all on the LBs when the Vikes are in Cover 2.
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:

However, the secondary was shored up last year. Chris Cook, Antoine Winfield and Josh Robinson have been playing well as a trio this year. The Safety tandem has been pretty good too. The Vikings struggle in coverage this year isnt due to the secondary, but due to the Linebackers. MN's LBs have struggled a lot this year, otherwise, the CBs and Safetys are still getting a lot of misguided blame. They have really only given up two big plays (Shorts TD week 1 and long pass week 2 against Winfield). Its the short dink and dunking passing game that has killed MN the first two weeks. That is all on the LBs when the Vikes are in Cover 2.

Interesting. Not sure I agree with the Vikes fan's football analysis wrt the bolded part, but still interesting. I thought that Chad Greenway was supposed to be a very good LB in coverage but maybe not. We'll see for ourselves I guess.

No doubt it would be hard for them not to improve relative to how horrid they were last year.
Noticed the other day that when looking at a lot of awesome plays in history a vast majority of them are against the Vikings defense. lol very funny
Originally posted by BayArea:
Noticed the other day that when looking at a lot of awesome plays in history a vast majority of them are against the Vikings defense. lol very funny

The Vikes defense was no joke back then. Our offense was just that good. Some of the best lineman and safeties in the game. Hard hitting. Chris Dolman and Joey Browner that will absolutely tear your head off. #1 defense in the league in 1988. There were some crazy good teams and defenses back then pre-salary cap. We were just better.
[ Edited by qnnhan7 on Sep 18, 2012 at 2:57 PM ]
Originally posted by niners4lyfe:
Originally posted by WookieOftheYear:
Eric Branch ‏@Eric_Branch FOX announcers for #49ers game at #Vikings on Sunday: Kenny Albert and Daryl Johnston.


[ Edited by billbird2111 on Sep 18, 2012 at 3:08 PM ]