LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 246 users in the forums

Get Better!

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by PopeyeJonesing:
Just for the sake of clarification:

We were tied for last in the league last year with a 3rd down conversion rate of 28%.

After one game this year we're at 22% (seventh from the bottom).

Green Bay was seventh from the bottom in stopping opposing teams on third down last year.

So far there's absolutely no evidence that this isn't something we still need to get better at.

i dont disagree with this

but if you break it down we missed 2 3rd and shorts where i think jacobs wouldve converted

2 were PI's basically where we wouldve converted if the defender didnt do something illegal and 2 was to burn down more time basically

its much better than the stats show
[ Edited by 49ersalldaway126 on Sep 12, 2012 at 4:29 PM ]
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
Originally posted by PopeyeJonesing:
Just for the sake of clarification:

We were tied for last in the league last year with a 3rd down conversion rate of 28%.

After one game this year we're at 22% (seventh from the bottom).

Green Bay was seventh from the bottom in stopping opposing teams on third down last year.

So far there's absolutely no evidence that this isn't something we still need to get better at.

but if you break it down we missed 2 3rd and shorts where i think jacobs wouldve converted

2 were PI's basically where we wouldve converted if the defender didnt do something illegal and 2 was to burn down more time basically

plus, there was one at the end where Alex elected to make sure and kill clock by running on 3rd and 17.

plus, there was a completion to Crabtree for 9 of the 10 yds, but a special, excellent tackle kept Crabtree from advancing for the conversion.

Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:

So what you're saying is that if third down conversions were excuses we'd be the best in the league.

Originally posted by Joecool:

3rd downs: We only ran 2 of the 10 plays listed above. 3rd downs are play making downs. If Alex is playing it safe, then he's not a play maker. Not sure what to do here...have a feeling we will continue to struggle on this one.

THIS! No more soft coverage against really good passing teams like NO, Detroit, New England, etc.
Originally posted by JoeisGod:
But...but...but...he is screwing up my fantasy stats.

He should have never been on your fantasy team......maybe as a backup
First of all, it's nitpicking and this is completely ridiculous after ONE game. The Niners beat a Super Bowl contender on the road decisively even though they were less than perfect. I will take that performance any day.

At least it gives the coaches something to work on besides their evil genius gameplans to shut down all these high flying offenses.
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
First of all, it's nitpicking and this is completely ridiculous after ONE game. The Niners beat a Super Bowl contender on the road decisively even though they were less than perfect. I will take that performance any day.

For sure, as would every single one of us.

that doesn't mean that with the limited information we have this doesn't seems to still be a major problem, tho. I'd of course much rather be wrong, but we don't have any evidence of this having changed yet.
Share 49ersWebzone