There are 188 users in the forums

Get Better!

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by oldman9er:
Originally posted by JoeisGod:
But...but...but...he is screwing up my fantasy stats.

That's about it. The only real con to Alex's game.

We are lucky we have a stacked team. We already have seen what he can't do when the teams isn't the most talented and balanced team in the league.
Originally posted by Joecool:
We are lucky we have a stacked team. We already have seen what he can't do when the teams isn't the most talented and balanced team in the league.

how about we can already see what he cant do when hes injured or plays with a broken shoulder (2007,2008)

or how about when we have a dumb coach who doesnt use his smartness as an advantage ( no houte routes no audibles allowed by sing)

hwo about now we get to see him for the first time in consequtive offensive systems?

were the situations perfect in 2010 after raye was fiired?

post raye before harbaugh alex had a rating of 95 when MJ was his OC

he has been doing it even fbefore supposed "perfect conditions"

all he needed was an OC that allows him to play to his strengths

he had that with norv with MJ and now again with harbaugh

he has produced in all those times

but now if you want to make alexcuses while hes doing well to make yourself feel better to THINK you were right that alex sucks and now is liimted be my guest

but last year you said he would never lead this team to a winning record now you say he is limited whatever makes you sleep better at night i guess
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:

how about we can already see what he cant do when hes injured or plays with a broken shoulder (2007,2008)

or how about when we have a dumb coach who doesnt use his smartness as an advantage ( no houte routes no audibles allowed by sing)

hwo about now we get to see him for the first time in consequtive offensive systems?

were the situations perfect in 2010 after raye was fiired?

post raye before harbaugh alex had a rating of 95 when MJ was his OC

he has been doing it even fbefore supposed "perfect conditions"

all he needed was an OC that allows him to play to his strengths

he had that with norv with MJ and now again with harbaugh

he has produced in all those times

but now if you want to make alexcuses while hes doing well to make yourself feel better to THINK you were right that alex sucks and now is liimted be my guest

but last year you said he would never lead this team to a winning record now you say he is limited whatever makes you sleep better at night i guess

The jury is still out, but I have a feeling we will have a lead in games 90% of the entire season. It feels good to have a team that can be great.
What does it matter, a win is a win!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I swear I think you must be trolling... but I'll play this one. Our coaching and even a wiser Alex would likely do a much better job without the stacked and balanced team. Point still is, Alex shouldn't be punished or lessened by fans like yourself just because he does have a strong and balanced team. Nothing wrong with playing within the system when the system is working for you. No one stuck up a middle finger at Troy Aikman and said he was only a winner because of his HOF OL, WR, TE, great defenses, coaches, etc. Aikman handled his business and is now considered a great one.

The "stacked, most balanced" comments show that you must really be hurting and angry inside about Alex finding success and making you eat your words every year. Over 40,000 posts just fell into a bucket of garbage once that happened.. and now the clinging to respectability is all that is left.
[ Edited by oldman9er on Sep 12, 2012 at 1:52 PM ]
  • kray28
  • Veteran
Niners just need to avoid third downs...it's easier to move the chains on earlier downs. And the Niners did just fine there.
  • kray28
  • Veteran
To be fair, 3rd downs are hard for everyone.

I swear I think you must be trolling... but I'll play this one. Our coaching and even a wiser Alex would likely do a much better job without the stacked and balanced team. Point still is, Alex shouldn't be punished or lessened by fans like yourself just because he does have a strong and balanced team. Nothing wrong with playing within the system when the system is working for you. No one stuck up a middle finger at Troy Aikman and said he was only a winner because of his HOF OL, WR, TE, great defenses, coaches, etc. Aikman handled his business and is now considered a great one.

The "stacked, most balanced" comments show that you must really be hurting and angry inside about Alex finding success and making you eat your words every year. Over 40,000 posts just fell into a bucket of garbage once that happened.. and now the clinging to respectability is all that is left.

I never started in this thread or the other one to lessen what he has done. It was all originally about comparing him to other QB's and that he is not at their level. I recall when Troy Aikman played, he was still considered less than Jim Kelly, John Elway, and quite a few other top 10 QB's during that time.

Can we stop taking things personal and just see how Alex compares to other QB's as that and not an attack on Alex or demeaning Alex.

Personally, Alex is the Troy Aikman of this era and that's not a bad thing for us 49ers fans. But let's not say he can do everything a lot of other things some QB's can do until...well...he actually does them consistently.
I never started in this thread or the other one to lessen what he has done. It was all originally about comparing him to other QB's and that he is not at their level. I recall when Troy Aikman played, he was still considered less than Jim Kelly, John Elway, and quite a few other top 10 QB's during that time.

Can we stop taking things personal and just see how Alex compares to other QB's as that and not an attack on Alex or demeaning Alex.

Personally, Alex is the Troy Aikman of this era and that's not a bad thing for us 49ers fans. But let's not say he can do everything a lot of other things some QB's can do until...well...he actually does them consistently.

Well allow him to progress his career then instead of feeling this need to state that Alex sucks and always trying to lessen him. It won't work. Alex has wiped his arse with 40,000 of your posts over the years... as every year he proves you wrong. When will it end for you to simply raise hands in surrender? Not going well for you, joe... this has become worse than the fiery crash of JTO, Hill, Nate Davis, etc.

It's time to get on board and enjoy your team's successes... not fight everything in some futile way of salvaging your bruised forum ego.

Well allow him to progress his career then instead of feeling this need to state that Alex sucks and always trying to lessen him. It won't work. Alex has wiped his arse with 40,000 of your posts over the years... as every year he proves you wrong. When will it end for you to simply raise hands in surrender? Not going well for you, joe... this has become worse than the fiery crash of JTO, Hill, Nate Davis, etc.

It's time to get on board and enjoy your team's successes... not fight everything in some futile way of salvaging your bruised forum ego.

I've been on board. I'm just not in the mystical world where Alex is better than those QB's listed on earlier pages. You can stay in that world, that's fine. I'm not going to sit back and be blind like other teams' fans when they claim they have the best defense or claim that Russell Wilson will "show everyone" or Tim Tebow is a top 10 QB.

Don't be a blind fan. Accept the winning and enjoy the ride as we all are doing, but don't be blind.

And don't worry, on Sundays, I probably cheer harder than you do for Alex Smith.

I've been on board. I'm just not in the mystical world where Alex is better than those QB's listed on earlier pages. You can stay in that world, that's fine. I'm not going to sit back and be blind like other teams' fans when they claim they have the best defense or claim that Russell Wilson will "show everyone" or Tim Tebow is a top 10 QB.

Don't be a blind fan. Accept the winning and enjoy the ride as we all are doing, but don't be blind.

And don't worry, on Sundays, I probably cheer harder than you do for Alex Smith.

So what specific quotes lead you to believe that I or others are being "blind +/or labeling Alex a top 10" QB? Seems 99% of the comments are simply that he has been playing well. The forum doesn't need you to remind everyone that Alex Smith isn't flawless. As someone here wisely stated, once you get outside of the few elite QBs... all of the next tier QBs are all over the place week to week in regards to slipping up and down this imaginary QB rankings board that we all have in our heads. Is it your opinion that Alex hasn't worked his way into that 2nd tier of all QBs?
[ Edited by oldman9er on Sep 12, 2012 at 3:07 PM ]
What constitutes a top 10 QB anyway? Is it based on best fit for the system they are in?

Is there really any other QB that is elite, top 10, or otherwise that could outplay Alex in Alex's system? To me it looks like he is faultless in the system and for the most part fits perfectly. Most QB rankings don't have anything to do with clutch play, working well within the specific offense, or helping your team win games. They almost all seem to be rankings based on fantasy stats.

This offense will never put up elite fantasy stats because you never see it open up and go exclusively to the air unless they are down and need quick points. Once they get the lead they slow it down big time which obviously doesn't produce the stats that most rankings are based on.
Originally posted by cashmahne:
I agree. They need to improve. There really isn't any 3rd down that they were trying to just run some clock. Maybe the last one. But the Niners had only 11 third down plays. They were very efficient on 1st and 2nd down.

3rd downs in the game:

1st:
13:40 left... 3rd and 2... Alex got sacked (0 for 1)
5:00 left... 3rd and 4.... Alex throws incomplete to Walker. The throw could of been better, but Walker still could of caught it (0 for 2)

2nd:
15:00 left... 3rd and 3... DPI on Bush (0 for 2)
2:47 left... 3rd and 5... Smith rolled to his right threw for Davis... Holding on Woodson (0 for 2)
1:03 left... 3rd and 1... Gore loses a yard (0 for 3)

3rd:
12:18 left... 3rd and 8... Alex Smith pass to Crabtree and with Crabtree's run he picks up 20 (1 for 4)
8:20 left.... 3rd and Goal... Alex Smith 4 yard TD pass to Vernon Davis (2 for 5)
1:37 left.... 3rd and 5.... Alex Smith completed pass to Crabtree for 4 yards (2 for 6)

4th:
12:18 left... 3rd and 12... draw play to Gore for 5 yards (2 for 7)
9:54 left... 3rd and 2... swing pass to Gore for one yard. Harbaugh challenged the spot and lost (2 for 8)
3:56 left... 3rd and 17... Smith scrambled for 5 yards...

Not to mention Smith had Moss on 1 on 1 coverage on the right side. I remember that play.

Green Bay is lucky they had/have a stacked team. We already have seen what Rodgers can't do when the team isn't the most talented and balanced team in the league.

.......oh wait.
Just for the sake of clarification:

We were tied for last in the league last year with a 3rd down conversion rate of 28%.

After one game this year we're at 22% (seventh from the bottom).

Green Bay was seventh from the bottom in stopping opposing teams on third down last year.

So far there's absolutely no evidence that this isn't something we still need to get better at.
Share 49ersWebzone