LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 204 users in the forums

Props to Kyle Williams

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by sfout:
Originally posted by BrianGO:
Kyle Williams is an excellent return man. Thank God we got Hunter out of there, he is terrible. Kyle Williams will break a long run more often then not on both punt and kick returns.

I hope we keep him in there, at least on punt returns. He is really beginning to find his groove.

The media was saying Ginn might come back next week but I am of the opinion that after these past 3 weeks that he has re-earn the right to start as pr/kr. Williams has been lights out for us so far this season.

Let's pretend for a second that the Giants blunder (which was 100% Williams fault) never happened so I can say a few things about Williams...

Williams has always been a good return man, but he has faced so much bad luck and injury throughout his career, that he has only had limited times where he could showcase what he is capable of. I have been eagerly anticipating him to have a breakout game on special teams. That God we replaced Hunter (good running back, horrible KR). Williams has that "it" factor when it comes to the return game, and now that his ass is on fire this year, he can be really dangerous for us.

I think he is obviously a better punt returner than Ginn, and it's debatable whether he is a better kick returner than Ginn (I think he is, but it can be argued either way). I wouldn't mind seeing him return both punts and kicks for the foreseeable future.

Ok. So now we have to address the Giants blunder.
Ginn is better at catching the ball on special teams than Williams, even if you throw out the Giants game, this is still true. However, if you throw out the Giants game, it is really not that big of a difference between them. This year, Williams is more confident than ever catching the ball on special teams, and the more EXPERIENCE he gets, the more confident he will get.
I think the Giants game got into his head after his first gaff. Also, the game was played in the rain, in the wind, on the biggest stage of his life. I think the Giants game simply has to be forgotten, so that we can move forward with Williams on special teams, because he is a very talented return man who's skills we should be utilizing every week.
[ Edited by BrianGO on Sep 23, 2012 at 4:12 PM ]
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Kyle Williams is an excellent return man. Thank God we got Hunter out of there, he is terrible. Kyle Williams will break a long run more often then not on both punt and kick returns.

I hope we keep him in there, at least on punt returns. He is really beginning to find his groove.

The media was saying Ginn might come back next week but I am of the opinion that after these past 3 weeks that he has re-earn the right to start as pr/kr. Williams has been lights out for us so far this season.

Let's pretend for a second that the Giants blunder (which was 100% Williams fault) never happened so I can say a few things about Williams...

Williams has always been a good return man, but he has faced so much bad luck and injury throughout his career, that he has only had limited times where he could showcase what he is capable of. I have been eagerly anticipating him to have a breakout game on special teams. That God we replaced Hunter (good running back, horrible KR). Williams has that "it" factor when it comes to the return game, and now that his ass is on fire this year, he can be really dangerous for us.

I think he is obviously a better punt returner than Ginn, and it's debatable whether he is a better kick returner than Ginn (I think he is, but it can be argued either way). I wouldn't mind seeing him return both punts and kicks for the foreseeable future.

Ginn is better at catching the ball on special teams than Williams, even if you throw out the Giants game, this is still true. However, if you throw out the Giants game, it is really not that big of a difference between them. This year, Williams is more confident than ever catching the ball on special teams, and the more EXPERIENCE he gets, the more confident he will get.
I think the Giants game got into his head after his first gaff. Also, the game was played in the rain, in the wind, on the biggest stage of his life. I think the Giants game simply has to be forgotten, so that we can move forward with Williams on special teams, because he is a very talented return man who's skills we should be utilizing every week.

Completely agree. I have never held a grudge against him, I knew that the NFCCG gaffes were completely on him but he has responded beyond expectations. I think Williams is a gamer, he is one hell of a return man.
Originally posted by sincalfaithful:
Originally posted by WookieOftheYear:
Originally posted by rxrunner:
Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by pd24:
I was still scared every punt.

this

that

those

These

I didn't realize we are supposed to congratulate people for not making costly errors

them.

but seriously I like Williams as a player, he will get better throughout his career
  • sfout
  • Veteran
So far Jed York is smiling about his twitter declaration about Williams having a breakout year lmao.
he was awesome today, only player who did anything worth a damn
He's about the only bright spot today. And the one good drive by the offense.
I'm VERY glad he is on the team. He's a playmaker.
It would be great if Williams continues to improve as a kick and punt returner. That coupled with his ability as a receiver will make Ted Ginn expendable.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Meh he didn't score.
Meh he didn't score.

this not going to get excited about a week 3 performance in a loss no less

his 90 yard return got me pumped
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
the one bright spot in today's all around s**t performance. Good s**t KW!
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Meh he didn't score.

So you're not going to get excited that he was pretty much doing everything he could to get us in the game? Outside of Gore, Williams was the best player on the team today.

I question whether the coaches knew he had some lingering concussion issues going on in that game and should have pulled him after that first fumble. I'm very impressed with his play this year and hope he becomes the best in the league.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Meh he didn't score.

So you're not going to get excited that he was pretty much doing everything he could to get us in the game? Outside of Gore, Williams was the best player on the team today.

Don't matter because we lost.
Share 49ersWebzone