There are 140 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Akers with the record tying kick!!!

Originally posted by BayArea:
Did anybody else notice that the Packers fans were cheering when he made it? lol

they were probably reacting to the sound off the cross. i've never seen a kick bounce in like that.
Originally posted by 99problems:
Originally posted by Paul_Hofer:
And Akers is only 5-10, 205 lbs. Where does he get the power?

5'10 205 is not small

It isn't big. Janikowski for instance is 6-1, 258 lbs.
  • Amir
  • Veteran

5'10 205 is not small

that dude is fat
Originally posted by cciowa:
am sure, many would like to pretend that never happened. it does not fit into thier plans to hate the man

Nvm.

Most surprised I'd ever been to see a kick go thru. I thought Harbaugh was crazy to attempt it.
[ Edited by tjd808185 on Sep 10, 2012 at 3:14 PM ]

5'10 205 is not small

The weight is all in his legs. Look how big Akers' thighs are. That's where the power comes from.
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
Damn, when I heard the crossbar being hit I thought no good, especially from the camera angle. Best Kicker in a long time, I loved Nedney, but Akers has him beat.

Awesome kick!! When they came out on the field I was like what the hell are they doing! I was in that endzone when the kick hit the crossbar and bounced over. Was a great thing to see live!!
FG Physics
As a 7 y/o kid, living out in the sticks in the Midwest, my brother and I built a crystal radio set which picked up only two stations: one was gospel, and the other was the GB Packer radio station. Paul Hornung was the triple threat back then, and he could pass, catch, and kick...drop kick, that is. One afternoon he was running what would become the famous GB sweep, and he stops on a dime and drop kicks one for 30 yds for 3 pts. After that I was hooked...I loved FGs.

FG physics is pretty easy, whether from a hold or drop kicked...the physics are the same. Basically as opposed to a pass which spirals in circles, we all know a FG kick tumbles end over end. A perfect kick is kicked in the exact middle of the ball measured horizontally, but is kicked closer to the ground than to the upper tip of the ball. When Akers' kick went "DOOINNGGG", and bounced straight up with a continuing end over end rotation, it had to have hit the X-bar in the exact mid point
of the long axis of the ball on the exact top of the X-bar, to bounce virtually vertically. That did not stop the forward end over end rotation, which continued when the ball came back down, re-hit the X-bar, and continuing its end over end rotation, went thru.

The odds of that happening, particularly from 63 feet at sea level, are so rare that no viewer has ever seen that before, and none will ever see it again. Truly one of a kind occurrence, which not too scientifically makes 49er fans wonder if it isn't a harbinger of things to come. The 49ers played an essentially flawless game. Why not have an extraordinary event to let the rest of the NFL know that we aren't only the best in the NFL, we are also lucky. Supremely talented AND lucky is going to be hard to beat. My 11-5 pick with a loss at GB is suddenly looking like a 14-2.
[ Edited by pasodoc9er on Sep 11, 2012 at 1:25 PM ]
"Little Big Man" is so money...there are a lot of good NFL kickers, but if push came to shove, there's nobody else I'd want in crunch time. Great stuff, LBM!
Originally posted by NinerPrideinNJ:
Akers is the best kicker in 49ers history, maybe NFL history. Anyone have the play as called by Ted Robinson on KNBR? Saw it on ESPN this AM, he went nuts. Can't find it online.

I've been looking and I can't find it. Someone help me. anyone else find it?
imagine getting kicked in the balls by him.
i think the Lions kicker is better then Akers because they have CJ

• Garcia
  • Veteran
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
FG Physics
As a 7 y/o kid, living out in the sticks in the Midwest, my brother and I built a crystal radio set which picked up only two stations: one was gospel, and the other was the GB Packer radio station. Paul Hornung was the triple threat back then, and he could pass, catch, and kick...drop kick, that is. One afternoon he was running what would become the famous GB sweep, and he stops on a dime and drop kicks one for 30 yds for 3 pts. After that I was hooked...I loved FGs.

FG physics is pretty easy, whether from a hold or drop kicked...the physics are the same. Basically as opposed to a pass which spirals in circles, we all know a FG kick tumbles end over end. A perfect kick is kicked in the exact middle of the ball measured horizontally, but is kicked closer to the ground than to the upper tip of the ball. When Akers' kick went "DOOINNGGG", and bounced straight up with a continuing end over end rotation, it had to have hit the X-bar in the exact mid point
of the long axis of the ball on the exact top of the X-bar, to bounce virtually vertically. That did not stop the forward end over end rotation, which continued when the ball came back down, re-hit the X-bar, and continuing its end over end rotation, went thru.

The odds of that happening, particularly from 63 feet at sea level, are so rare that no viewer has ever seen that before, and none will ever see it again. Truly one of a kind occurrence, which not too scientifically makes 49er fans wonder if it isn't a harbinger of things to come. The 49ers played an essentially flawless game. Why not have an extraordinary event to let the rest of the NFL know that we aren't only the best in the NFL, we are also lucky. Supremely talented AND lucky is going to be hard to beat. My 11-5 pick with a loss at GB is suddenly looking like a 14-2.