LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 244 users in the forums

Akers with the record tying kick!!!

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by susweel:
I hope so but like coach says "one game at a time".

Well I'm not about to argue with coach...
Originally posted by wysiwyg:
Originally posted by Gore_21:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
I can't believe they even attempted it. Much less made it.

I was worried with our luck it would get blocked and returned for a TD and change the whole game.

This isn't 2004
First off i wasat work today and just watched the 2nd half
Funny thing. On the FG in the previous possesion I asked my raider coworker where were they at on the field.
He said around the 40, I say ohsweet in range for akers.
He gives me a look like no they are not. (Me) oh he has a big boot like janikowski. he says well was he on the all decade team? Does he have the record of 65(yes he said 65)

When that kick happened I called him on the radio and answered him with a yes he has the record.
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
beast
This is the 4th time someone has hit a 63 yd. FG for the NFL record.

However, the previous 3 came with some form of aid. Tom Dempsey, the Saints kicker who first nailed the record 63 yarder in the 70's had no toes on his foot, making booting a football easier. Jason Elam and Sebastian Janikowski both hit theirs in the Mile High air of Denver.

So David Akers just hit the longest ever totally unaided 63 yd. FG.

WESTSIDDDE! #NinersFTW

In the NFL Record Books!
[ Edited by cris_sonic on Sep 9, 2012 at 10:17 PM ]
[ Edited by cris_sonic on Sep 9, 2012 at 10:16 PM ]
This might be bad, but I think when Akers hit that 63 yarder, that was the loudest I cheered all day. I stopped maybe after 20 seconds of yelling... that was BADASS.

Originally posted by ElDannMann:
This might be bad, but I think when Akers hit that 63 yarder, that was the loudest I cheered all day. I stopped maybe after 20 seconds of yelling... that was BADASS.

It was the loudest I cheered all day. I almost lost my voice on just that one play. I was more reveled towards the end so I didn't celebrate as much. But Akers kick was just so dramatic (time stood still on the bounce) and then the celebration and going up 16-7 compared to 13-7 (2 possession instead of 1) was such a huge lift. Makes you wonder how the game would have been different if he misses it.

And someone on the 9ers.com board mentioned Janakowski and Elam's FGs were in Denver where the air is thin. Tom Dempsey had no toes on that foot so he had a block shoe... no idea if that would be an advantage or not. Seems like it would mean less accuracy but more power.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Sep 9, 2012 at 10:26 PM ]
And we should thank Kyle Williams for the 20 yard punt return to set it up.
I was in the enzone he madr it from.... all the packers fan thought there was no hope... off tje cross bar and i almost killed my buddy... clutch kick! Awesome to see
This guy is a beast and I'd hate to be that football
  • Amir
  • RIP Amir, Hall of Fame
Share 49ersWebzone