There are 76 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Should we trade for an OLB?

• cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by PhillyNiner:
They put him on injured reserve because he is not going to be able to come back this year....quit blaming the front office like your some damn genius. As Ninerdude said their are alot of ways we could get through an emergency for one game...maybe they arent ready to cut somebody to fit another backup onto the roster just yet. Throwing away players is something you do when you are forced to, not because your scared.

i blame the front office because they knew this was a problem over a week ago before they made thier final roster cuts and the best they come up with is to sign someone who may not be able to play 1-3 games. You are telling me with a straight face,, you are ok with that. " experimenting and hoping" is not exactly comforting to me as they prepare for someone like rogers and the packers at green bay
Originally posted by jreff22:
its not the picks, its the cash that we would have to spend

And the dude we would have to cut to make space on the roster....so now your hurting the cap, next years draft and the current roster in the name of depth at one postion where a guy could be signed to fill in pretty much right after the game if something bad happens.

And the dude we would have to cut to make space on the roster....so now your hurting the cap, next years draft and the current roster in the name of depth at one postion where a guy could be signed to fill in pretty much right after the game if something bad happens.

We were going to have to make cuts anyways....no way we play the whole season with only 3 OLB's. Once Dobbs is healthy Celek will probably go because Dobbs is the #3 TE. That cut opens a spot for a 4th OLB.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by niners4lyfe:
if this team was smart, they would trade for two. I mean, they have a gazillion draft picks. They can afford to part away with one.

yes that salary cap is a problem, even if they could trade for someone. maybe the julian peterson idea is not so far fetched. haley came back to us in a pinch you know.. if clark can not play sunday they still need someone to relieve smith and brooks ( i would feel better if i knew they are 100 per cent) i still do not like the idea of plugging someone in there even for a few plays. against rogers he would exploit that in a new york minute in my opinion. we are not exactly playing against cody picket
Originally posted by cciowa:
i blame the front office because they knew this was a problem over a week ago before they made thier final roster cuts and the best they come up with is to sign someone who may not be able to play 1-3 games. You are telling me with a straight face,, you are ok with that. " experimenting and hoping" is not exactly comforting to me as they prepare for someone like rogers and the packers at green bay

No they knew he was hurt..not the long term prognosis. They were hoping he would be able to come back this year and they could use the new IR rule for him and then they would keep a young guy to tide us over. Since he cant come back, they got the veteran back up they liked best. His downside being the 1-3 games. Now they wait. If its one game...they dont worry about it and fill in with a guy like Dobbs, or pushing Bowman to the outside etc..If something horrible happens to our starters in game 1. if its three maybe they make a move...if its two, maybe they dont should we get by ok in game 1. The cost to benifit ratio says you play the waiting game and see if you can get by...nobody on the street is that fantastic that you panic and call now, and you certainly dont trade away somebody you have plans for given how much you throw away.
They put him on injured reserve because he is not going to be able to come back this year....quit blaming the front office like your some damn genius. As Ninerdude said their are alot of ways we could get through an emergency for one game...maybe they arent ready to cut somebody to fit another backup onto the roster just yet. Throwing away players is something you do when you are forced to, not because your scared.

I just can't imagine our Front Office doesn't have a plan. It remains to be seen what that plan actually is, but we could run...

Bowman, Willis, Grant, Smith/Brooks if Brooks or Smith gets injured until Haggan can play. I guess the rational is Bakhtiari/Alama-Francis weren't one of the best 53. I wouldn't be surprised to see Alama-Francis in a Niner uniform by the end of the year.
Originally posted by oldninerdude:
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
I bet they'll have Bakhtiari and Alama-Francis on speed dial. Until Haggan's suspension is up, they're really flirting with disaster. I mean, they don't have a single backup OLB on the roster right now.
I think you're right, both Bakhtiari and Alama-Francis appear to still be available if they wanted to resign either of them.

I think you're right, they appear to need another OLB as a backup.

I'm not sure I agree with you about no backups on the roster right now, tho.

Haralson is 6'0" and 255, and there are a couple guys an the roster right now who could fill in for him.

Dobbs, at 6'3" and 275. We've already seen him in the preseason at OLB/DE in nickel situations.

What about Bowman, at 6'0" and 243? He played OLB at Penn State, and has shown some natural pass rush ability with the Niners. He's not much different in size than Von Miller, who plays OLB at Denver and seems to do pretty well. So if needed, how about Bowman at OLB?

Gooden, at 6'2" and 243 might also fill the bill.

Then there's the secret weapon, that guy named Miller, who plays FB now, but in college played . . . yes, OLB, and played it pretty well. Defensive guys are taking his snaps at FB/HB, could he play some OLB if necessary?

Are we seeing some more creative thinking from the coaching staff?
creative thnking or are weakening positions with all this talk of moving players around a few days before a huge game. i shudder to think miller one one one with someone out there and to see rogers drooling at that one. gee here is a thought maybe they should have thought about how they were going to solve this when they put him on the injured reserve list
You don't know how much thought, work, effort the coaching staff put into their decision. None of us does.

For all we know, Miller has been working out at OLB during part of training camp, on days when the media doesn't have access.

One thing we do know: the staff knows far more about the roster and about available replacements than we do. They also know more NFL football than we do.

Fangio was quoted last season about Bowman, and what a great natural pass rusher he is. Could it be that Fangio's got some surprise packages ready for GB that we haven't seen yet?

How about this one: On a first or second down (base 3-4), Aldon suddenly moves inside of Justin Smith, making it appear that he's playing ILB, and Bowman shifts out to Aldon's OLB position. Then Aldon, who has an excellent inside rush, brings the pressure, along with Justin Smith AND Navarro Bowman--from the outside. I gotta think those guys would overwhelm GB's OL! .

If a fan like me could dream this up, you think Fangio hasn't considered it? (And Dobbs could fill in for Aldon in that situation as well, plugging up the A gap like the DL he is.)

Bottom line: the OLB position is of concern, and interesting to discuss on this board, but there's no reason to panic, yet, and certainly no basis for condemning the coaching staff, which seems to have done pretty well and made some pretty good decisions so far. IMHO.
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
I just can't imagine our Front Office doesn't have a plan. It remains to be seen what that plan actually is, but we could run...

Bowman, Willis, Grant, Smith/Brooks if Brooks or Smith gets injured until Haggan can play. I guess the rational is Bakhtiari/Alama-Francis weren't one of the best 53. I wouldn't be surprised to see Alama-Francis in a Niner uniform by the end of the year.

This is what I am saying...there is enough depth accross the entire LB position to take the hit if something bad happens in one game. Then right after that game depending on how close you are to Haggans comming in you can add a guy if need be, for depth. Or if god forbid the injury is bad, you go out an make a trade for a guy you feel can push Haggans to start the rest of the way.
For the first 2 games, they are basically a 4-3 defense because of all of the nickle situations they will be in. On those situations, Justin Smith could always move outside if Brooks or Smith are banged up. I am worried over the course of the season though
Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Yes.

Trade Kyle Williams for Cameron Wake - straight up...

I was thinking Demarcus Ware

Now you're just getting greedy.
Do wharever that needs to be done. 49ers need depth at OLB. Trade or FA, just need bodies.
Yes.

lol. You're hilarious, sus.
We land a dude who might not be eligible to play 1-3 games? Not great, not horrific player. But, what about the guys we just cut? The dude from Hawaii is a big OLB, but has great speed for his size. Front office knows what it is doing, but this has me wondering.
Originally posted by oldninerdude:
Yes.

lol. You're hilarious, sus.

Yes.

haha don't toy with me sr. That would make us the greatest LB core ever. Dware, Bowman, Willis, Aldon. I'd trade a first and a second right now to watch that even if he's only got a few years left in the tank.