LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 356 users in the forums

Should we trade for an OLB?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Haralsons injury sounds a bit more serious than we anticipated, we may need some quality depth at that position

I'm hoping we can trade a 6th or a 5th round pick for a starting caliber OLB , we cant cross our fingers and hope we can get by with three OLB's

unless we can platoon Gooden and Grant in case an injury occurs during the game to one of our OLB's?, maybe even give Dobbs more work as an OLB in certain situations.

but do you guys think we should just go into the season with what we have , or should we try to acquire another quality OLB?
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NeeJ49er:
Haralsons injury sounds a bit more serious than we anticipated, we may need some quality depth at that position

I'm hoping we can trade a 6th or a 5th round pick for a starting caliber OLB , we cant cross our fingers and hope we can get by with three OLB's

unless we can platoon Gooden and Grant in case an injury occurs during the game to one of our OLB's?, maybe even give Dobbs more work as an OLB in certain situations.

but do you guys think we should just go into the season with what we have , or should we try to acquire another quality OLB?
what we have now are two guys who may not be 100 per cent and a 35 year old who may not play 1-3 games. i think you just answered your own question
I bet they'll have Bakhtiari and Alama-Francis on speed dial. Until Haggan's suspension is up, they're really flirting with disaster. I mean, they don't have a single backup OLB on the roster right now.
Haralson's done for the year, and maybe as a Niner. So clearly they need another body at OLB, an not just in the short term

They just cut Bakhtiari, Alama-Francis, and Rowe. I liked what I saw of all three of those guys, and would love to know why one of them wasn't kept.

Bakhtiari is a hard worker, a bit under sized, and didn't physically dominate even the second string guys he went up against, but he never quit and got stops and even a couple sacks based on unrelenting effort. If he contributed on ST as well, I don't see why they wouldn't want him around.

Alama-Francis looked really good in the last preseason game, and has a huge upside, IHMO. He's as big or bigger than some DEs (6'5", 290) and has a heck of a bullrush from OLB. I'd love to know what it was that kept the coaching staff from keeping him around.

Rowe is small, but quick and always around the ball. He's another guy who gives great effort, is a little faster than Bakhtiari, but at 230 just not big enough.

Of the three, Alama-Francis looked like the best "project" or backup, and rather than trade for someone, or signing LaBoy, I'd waive Robinson (and put him on the PS), then give Alama-Francis a shot. Just my opinion tho, and I obviously don't know what the coaches knew when they decided to cut these three guys.
Hate making trades from a position of weakness but I would definitely ask around and pull the trigger on a solid backup OLB. Just don't see many legit starters being available at this point in the season. Dobbs has played TE and DE mostly right? Don't know how many reps he's gotten standing up. I suppose in pass rush situations where he does not have coverage responsibilities we might see him.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
I bet they'll have Bakhtiari and Alama-Francis on speed dial. Until Haggan's suspension is up, they're really flirting with disaster. I mean, they don't have a single backup OLB on the roster right now.
you must have not gotten the memo,,,,, we are just fine i knew I picked the wrong day to stop sniffing glue thier arrogance makes them think there is no way the hearing will go against them. they knew about this before they put him on injured reserve and so thier solution,, ah never mind
My opinion for what it is worth is this is no time to panic. There are a lot of guys out on the street who can come in and play a few games if needed and probably 2 out of three of Bahk, Francis and Rowe will be there as well. Despite CC being ready to jump off a bridge..lol You dont trade away quality players from a position of weakness just because you MIGHT need a guy later on. Right now they have their two starters ready to go, could slide a back up MLB to the outside should there be an in game injury and have a decent plan to bring in a veteran within the first three games to secure the back up spot for the rest of the season. Its plenty for now if the plan was always to have Aldon step up and be the every down guy. And if something horrible and unforseen happens then you go to the street and get back one of the young high potential guys you cut or make a trade.
I hope Alama-Francis is brought back , and I agree , we should not have to trade out of desperation , but we gottta do something , if ONE of our OLB's goes down , we are really up $hit creek

Haralson goes down , Fleming goes down , Cam Johnson isnt ready ...and I'm not sold on Haggans? ..it seems we may have to make a trade to keep the defense strong
I think you're right, both Bakhtiari and Alama-Francis appear to still be available if they wanted to resign either of them.

I think you're right, they appear to need another OLB as a backup.

I'm not sure I agree with you about no backups on the roster right now, tho.

Haralson is 6'0" and 255, and there are a couple guys an the roster right now who could fill in for him.

Dobbs, at 6'3" and 275. We've already seen him in the preseason at OLB/DE in nickel situations.

What about Bowman, at 6'0" and 243? He played OLB at Penn State, and has shown some natural pass rush ability with the Niners. He's not much different in size than Von Miller, who plays OLB at Denver and seems to do pretty well. So if needed, how about Bowman at OLB?

Gooden, at 6'2" and 243 might also fill the bill.

Then there's the secret weapon, that guy named Miller, who plays FB now, but in college played . . . yes, OLB, and played it pretty well. Defensive guys are taking his snaps at FB/HB, could he play some OLB if necessary?

Are we seeing some more creative thinking from the coaching staff?
if this team was smart, they would trade for two. I mean, they have a gazillion draft picks. They can afford to part away with one.

• cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by oldninerdude:
I think you're right, both Bakhtiari and Alama-Francis appear to still be available if they wanted to resign either of them.

I think you're right, they appear to need another OLB as a backup.

I'm not sure I agree with you about no backups on the roster right now, tho.

Haralson is 6'0" and 255, and there are a couple guys an the roster right now who could fill in for him.

Dobbs, at 6'3" and 275. We've already seen him in the preseason at OLB/DE in nickel situations.

What about Bowman, at 6'0" and 243? He played OLB at Penn State, and has shown some natural pass rush ability with the Niners. He's not much different in size than Von Miller, who plays OLB at Denver and seems to do pretty well. So if needed, how about Bowman at OLB?

Gooden, at 6'2" and 243 might also fill the bill.

Then there's the secret weapon, that guy named Miller, who plays FB now, but in college played . . . yes, OLB, and played it pretty well. Defensive guys are taking his snaps at FB/HB, could he play some OLB if necessary?

Are we seeing some more creative thinking from the coaching staff?
creative thnking or are weakening positions with all this talk of moving players around a few days before a huge game. i shudder to think miller one one one with someone out there and to see rogers drooling at that one. gee here is a thought maybe they should have thought about how they were going to solve this when they put him on the injured reserve list
They put him on injured reserve because he is not going to be able to come back this year....quit blaming the front office like your some damn genius. As Ninerdude said their are alot of ways we could get through an emergency for one game...maybe they arent ready to cut somebody to fit another backup onto the roster just yet. Throwing away players is something you do when you are forced to, not because your scared.
Yes.

Trade Kyle Williams for Cameron Wake - straight up...
Originally posted by niners4lyfe:
if this team was smart, they would trade for two. I mean, they have a gazillion draft picks. They can afford to part away with one.

its not the picks, its the cash that we would have to spend
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Yes.

Trade Kyle Williams for Cameron Wake - straight up...

I was thinking Demarcus Ware
Share 49ersWebzone