There are 134 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Our weakest area?

Our weakest area?

Originally posted by HearstFan:
I would go broader - until this team proves otherwise, our weakest area is the passing attack. Yes, the protection was bad at the beginning of 2011, but it improved. I suspect it will be much better this year with a better RG. But the ability of the attack to gouge the other team with pass plays was almost non-existant last year. Until our receivers can get clear down field and the QB can deliver a strike on a deeper route, the passing game will be the handicap of the team. They have to do more than dump offs and crossing routes underneath. This limited passing attack allows the defense to crowd down and contain the running the game. Until there is true balance with a real passing attack (as a unit, Oline, receivers, and QB), the weakness will be the offense.

Agree with this and believe you covered all the elements that need to work together in order to improve. I believe it will happen but, again, you are correct that proof will be on the field.
I would go broader - until this team proves otherwise, our weakest area is the passing attack. Yes, the protection was bad at the beginning of 2011, but it improved. I suspect it will be much better this year with a better RG. But the ability of the attack to gouge the other team with pass plays was almost non-existant last year. Until our receivers can get clear down field and the QB can deliver a strike on a deeper route, the passing game will be the handicap of the team. They have to do more than dump offs and crossing routes underneath. This limited passing attack allows the defense to crowd down and contain the running the game. Until there is true balance with a real passing attack (as a unit, Oline, receivers, and QB), the weakness will be the offense.

this is fair. I still think the secondary is a huge concern this season. We faced some really poor QB's last season. In my mind the Secondary is completely dependent on the D-line getting pressure on the QB. If there is no pressure they are going to be shredded.
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
RG until Boone gets up to speed, OLB depth, T depth, and OLine pass blocking until they learn to play as a unit. Some of these may be illusions as the coaches no doubt have plans (T--have to think they believe this has been answered).

All of these...concerns about Willis always being in coverage, Goldson's lack of sideline range and S's (over-the-top) help, WR's being too small to beat physical CB's off the LOS, health, etc.
Originally posted by dtg_9er:

Agree with this and believe you covered all the elements that need to work together in order to improve. I believe it will happen but, again, you are correct that proof will be on the field.

All sarcasm aside I agree with this as well. But as i and others around here feel, an offseason, and upgrades at certain positions is hopefully the fix to these problems. Except I will say I feel we moved the ball quite well, but we always sputtered around the red zone area. That is a bigger issue than delievering strikes downfield in my opinion.
Originally posted by dtcomposer:

this is fair. I still think the secondary is a huge concern this season. We faced some really poor QB's last season. In my mind the Secondary is completely dependent on the D-line getting pressure on the QB. If there is no pressure they are going to be shredded.

Agree as well here.
Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by BayArea:
so should I have lied ?

classic susweel

no you make it fun around I here, wouldn't be the same if you "lied" lol

Even if he lied he would still be fun
Originally posted by JiksJuicy:
All sarcasm aside I agree with this as well. But as i and others around here feel, an offseason, and upgrades at certain positions is hopefully the fix to these problems. Except I will say I feel we moved the ball quite well, but we always sputtered around the red zone area. That is a bigger issue than delievering strikes downfield in my opinion.

Sarcasm? Was there sarcasm?

I'll probably worry about everything until they win all their games! Just my nature, but compared to the Mike and Mike days...not so much!
Im going with OLB, we are definitely short on depth.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Bootlegger:
in an effort to not turn this into a you know who thread, I'm not going to bother responding to your typical derailing response.
just because i dare disagree that the qb spot is not the weakest spot on the team. its a wonder alex made it out of last year alive, they have shown me nothing in the area of pass protection this pre season to make me think it will be any different. Have they shown you anything to think they are better in that area?
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Jesu80ncleats:
Im going with OLB, we are definitely short on depth.
it is all rumor control but if, if, we have to put a linebacker on the shelf for a while, do we have to go get another one? i know we just signed the vet from the cards but do we need another one? tough luck for those two rookies to get hurt
Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by Bootlegger:
in an effort to not turn this into a you know who thread, I'm not going to bother responding to your typical derailing response.
just because i dare disagree that the qb spot is not the weakest spot on the team. its a wonder alex made it out of last year alive, they have shown me nothing in the area of pass protection this pre season to make me think it will be any different. Have they shown you anything to think they are better in that area?

Pass protection is decent the problem is the QB hesitates to much and doesn't deliver the ball on time.
Pass protection is decent the problem is the QB hesitates to much and doesn't deliver the ball on time.

just doesn't get old, does it?
Originally posted by modninerfan:
Worst to best... First two are the only weaknesses though lol

1. O-line
2. QB
3. WR
4. Corners
5. Safeties
6. OLB
7. RB
8. TE
9. DL
10. MLB

The weakest 3 are all on offense. Hopefully continuity brings it together.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran

please, when was the last time we had a game where we had a nice pocket for the quarterback to throw,, it is always collapsing, we are always back peddaling and on the run. Now some of you had a thrill running up your leg when Ck made plays this pre season when the pocket collapsed. You are masking and covering up the real problem. we could not pass protect on a consistent level last year and that is not changing. you can spin that however you want but when you got a pocket that is always in a state of collapse and you have to keep a back in there to block, it is not the fault of the quarterback. in my opinion
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 9erred:
Originally posted by modninerfan:
Worst to best... First two are the only weaknesses though lol

1. O-line
2. QB
3. WR
4. Corners
5. Safeties
6. OLB
7. RB
8. TE
9. DL
10. MLB

The weakest 3 are all on offense. Hopefully continuity brings it together.
with the news that we put one of our backers on injured reserve, that has just been moved up to 2 on your list in my opinion, back up safetey should be three in my opinion