There are 190 users in the forums

49ers have signed DT Matthew Masifilo to a two-year contract

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Paul_Hofer:
Originally posted by Travisty13:
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
Originally posted by rserda:
wait, Dobbs is injured? Wtf when did that happen?

Link
Quote:

DL/TE Demarcus Dobbs: It's uncertain how long Dobbs will be out of action with a left lower leg injury. He is on crutches. That is a major blow to the 49ers' plan for the regular season. After all, Dobbs was splitting time as a backup defensive lineman and as the No. 3 tight end. In essence, if he's healthy, Dobbs allows the 49ers to activate another player because of his ability to serve roles on defense and offense.
That really didn't answer his question, when did it happen? I don't remember hearing about it during the game.
It's been mentioned by beat reporters during the week that Dobbs has been on crutches. The team hasn't made any statement about it (until this move).

Yeah, sorry about the non-committal statement, it was the only thing I'd read on it.
Does the 2 year commitment really mean anything if he gets cut and then ends up on the practice squad?
Originally posted by ninergold:
Does the 2 year commitment really mean anything if he gets cut and then ends up on the practice squad?

It seems to me that the only thing that would matter would be guaranteed money. If he was getting interest from other teams he could have used that as leverage to get a two year deal with a little more guaranteed. He'll probably still get cut on friday, but he'll have a few more bucks in his pocket.
  • THEB
  • Veteran
J Smith and Tukuafu are sitting out tomorrow so thats why he was brought back.
  • mod
  • Veteran
Originally posted by THEB:
J Smith and Tukuafu are sitting out tomorrow so thats why he was brought back.

2 year contract seems a tad bit excessive for a 1 preseason game.
Originally posted by AlohaBruh:
Just need someone to take the reps thurs, released Friday.

Agreed.
I don't quite understand the 2yr deal at all. If he has a legit shot then why waive him monday, and he likely got NO money to sign, because if a team wanted him they would of claimed him off waivers. Usually it would be 3yr deal or 1 yr deal with UDFAs. All UDFAs signing after draft sign 3 yr standard contracts, a lot of those guys get as high at 15K signing bonus to sign. Some get 0 to sign, usually guys who have no real shot, but hope to get a teams interest.

2 guys who got big paydays as UDFAs were Dallas' OG Ronald Leary, he got a 14K signing bonus plus 200K of his 390K base guaranteed, so 214k guaranteed for 2012 to sign, and Jeff Demps who signed with New England signed for 11K signing bonus and 200K of 390K base guaranteed, so 211k guaranteed.
Share 49ersWebzone