There are 160 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Official Roster Cutdown Thread

Originally posted by AB83Rules:
Starting? Seriously? Over Moss, Manningham or Crabtree? I doubt that happens this year. What happens with Kyle Williams? I love AJ as a WR, but he isn't among the top 4 WRs, he is the 6th WR right now, if he wasn't a 1st rd pick, he wouldn't of made the team. He showed very little in preseason, and when he did it was against backup DBs. When he does stuff Moss and Manningham has done against 1st team DBs, then I will call him a Top 2 WR on this team, till then he doesn't get in. Maiocco already said 4 WRs active(Including Ginn) on game days.
Maiocco? Please!! He was among the top draft-Fleener-in-the-1st crowd, along with many here. If it were up to him we wouldn't have drafted a WR at all, lease of all in the 1st. I take what he says with a grain of salt. I like Kyle Williams; had him making the 53 and 46. But he isn't a better WR than A.J. If he were there wouldn't have been a need for us to go WR in the 1st. He would have just been promoted up, along with Ginn. Has A.J. stuggled? Sure he has. He's a rookie for crying out loud. And Moss? JH has already stated he'll have a limited play count. I cannot imagine him starting under those circumstances. Now A.J. might not start day one, but trust me, he'll be eased into it by the bye. As for Manningham, I just haven't seen enough of him in this offense to say where on the depth chart I think he'll be. (BTW, I never said A.J. would start over Crabs, though I'd love t see that. Hell, I'd love to see Manningham start over him. I just think we've seen enough of Crabs.) No other WR on the roster brings to the field the package of skills that A.J. brings. All he needs is the reps. And with reps he'll earn the #2 spot by mid-season. I know that's not the popular belief around here but I don't care.
  • kush
  • Veteran
Starting? Seriously? Over Moss, Manningham or Crabtree? I doubt that happens this year. What happens with Kyle Williams? I love AJ as a WR, but he isn't among the top 4 WRs, he is the 6th WR right now, if he wasn't a 1st rd pick, he wouldn't of made the team. He showed very little in preseason, and when he did it was against backup DBs. When he does stuff Moss and Manningham has done against 1st team DBs, then I will call him a Top 2 WR on this team, till then he doesn't get in. Maiocco already said 4 WRs active(Including Ginn) on game days.

Absolutely disagree, but respectfully, of course. Please don't quote Maiocco as if its scripture, his speculation holds more weight than most but it's still just that, speculation.

Mannigham has been a #3, #2 tops thus far in his career. Nice player, should help, but more of a role guy than some stud who will keep AJJ off the field.

Moss sounds great so far but we shall see, Braylon sounded like a stud at this point last season. I know Moss is(was) a hundred times better than Braylon but he's also older, probably more one-dimensional(at the moment), and he's been out of football a year.

KW is a nice player, but I doubt he keeps AJ of the field. AJJ is extremely talented and is improving all the time. I don't buy the whole"if he wasn't a first he wouldn't make The team argument". He WAS a first, he did make the team and he's likely the most talented receiver on The team (and I'm a huge crabs guy). His speed, hands, route running will all get better and better as he calms down and stop thinking so much.

My God, the wheel on that cat are so nice. Electric.
So Ab has stated if Kaep wasn't a 2nd rounder he would have been cut and if Aj wasn't a 1st rounder he would of been cut. Respectfully I don't think your even close in either of those evaluations but hey I'm sure you hope your proved wrong on both accounts.
Originally posted by natrone06:
So Ab has stated if Kaep wasn't a 2nd rounder he would have been cut and if Aj wasn't a 1st rounder he would of been cut. Respectfully I don't think your even close in either of those evaluations but hey I'm sure you hope your proved wrong on both accounts.

Kaep got a free ride for some time for being a 2nd rd pick, and a high one. He was out played by both Johnson and Tolzien, but he wasn't going anywhere. And Jenkins was also out played and out performed in camp and games, thus reasoning why had he been a close call.

Kaep still needs development, he needs more time, I have no issue if I am wrong in the future, I want Kaep to prove he is the future QB. It annoys me when people want to automatically give this kid playing time, Jenkins isn't better right now than any of the other 5 WRs. Jenkins will be IMO a good WR in the NFL. But right now, no, rookie WRs struggle. I go by the philosophy that if you have a Undrafted guy and a 1st rd guy, and the undrafted guy is out performing the 1st rd guy, you play the undrafted guy. You dont just put Jenkins out there to get reps.He isn't ready.

I hope to god that Jenkins and Kaepernick are the next great Combo for the 49ers.

The other thing that bothers me is wanting to keep guys who have the so called "potential" over proven vets. I rather us keep Jacobs as short yardage back over Dixon. Sure Dixon had a great preseason, but who is the last RB who had a great preseason did anything for us in reg season? Clayton, nope, Dixon nope, Coffee nope.

It's also with LaMichael James, he isn't ready to play in the NFL. He looks bad on returns, not gonna return punts for sure. So Ginn is a must. I rather put Williams back there, which scares the hell out of me, than an rookie or unproven.
It's also with LaMichael James, he isn't ready to play in the NFL. He looks bad on returns, not gonna return punts for sure. So Ginn is a must. I rather put Williams back there, which scares the hell out of me, than an rookie or unproven.

Agree with your philosophy of playing guys who have proven their worth. Also worry about Williams once again being the backup punt returner. Just do not get this at all and am surprised and disappointed no one has taken the back up role away. Like him as a WR, not punt returner...not sure about kickoff returns.
Originally posted by Wodwo:
Yep.

It was a s**tty outcome for Josh Johnson, but we don't know anything about the reasoning behind it.

People need to quit making assumptions.

More importantly, it might be a @#$%% outcome for the 49ers if ST is asked to command an offense in a real game as we have no idea if he's capable of doing so against 1st string defenses looking to tear his head off. I'm not sure how JH can choose an undrafted qb who's never seen action in a real game over the second most experienced qb on your roster...especially one he has a long history and chemistry with. Then again, what do I know?
Kaep got a free ride for some time for being a 2nd rd pick, and a high one. He was out played by both Johnson and Tolzien, but he wasn't going anywhere. And Jenkins was also out played and out performed in camp and games, thus reasoning why had he been a close call.
Couldn't agree more!! CK did not impress me at all during preseason making the announcement that he separated himself from ST/JJ (at the time) for 2nd string all the more annoying. I'm sure there are very few fans who feel comforable with the idea of CK running the offense if AS goes down.
So, I may be biased because i grew up with Reggie and saw him smoke everybody all through school and at OU. He is a hard hitter, and finds himself in the right place at the right time a lot. So, yeah, I definitely think the 9ers should re sign him. He is definitely worth having as at least a #3 S. He did pick off Tebow in that preseason game.....
Search Podcast Draft Forum Commentary News Shop Home