There are 132 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Official Roster Cutdown Thread

Afrikan--Harbaugh no doubt let him know all along the way where he stood. I'm also pretty sure he did not promise him a spot when he signed...that would be very unlike the NFL. So no tears for Johnson as he had the chance to display his skills in the SD game well enough to get a bite from another team I would think, JH did him a favor.
I had the thought earlier that maybe they're going with so few OLBs because they plan to use the 4-3 and 3rd down nickel alot this since we're facing a ton of high powered passing teams this year, and because teams tend to just give up on the run and pass pass pass. That means more DL (we kept what, eight?) and fewer OLBs needed.

p.s. it's fun to say OLB like you're saying OLD.
https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter retweeted by Barrows

Arizona and SF each put in a waiver claim for former Dolphins LB Jamaal Westerman, who was awarded to Cardinals.

32 tackles, 3.5 sacks looks good but any claims we put in we are at the bottom of the totem pole. They go to the team with the worst record. Looks like we want to fill that OLB spot though.

If AZ didn't put in a claim we would have won him and he would have been added to the 53 man roster. Somebody would have been gone (celek, brock, mcbath?)
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Sep 1, 2012 at 3:16 PM ]
Originally posted by Afrikan:
I know some will take this the wrong way, let alone to the extreme...but

Poor Josh Johnson...he really got played. I mean some must question Harbaugh's credibility when it comes to earning your role on a team.

I have liked Tolzien since we first got him...and I still do....but I don't know how I'd look Josh in the eyes as if something wrong didn't happen.

If making the team was based off training camp and preseason, it seems Josh would've got the nod. I wonder what is going through his head. It must've been a long shot for him to make the team since he got here.

well at least he is leaving here a better QB, imo...he looked good out there in his final appearance.



Here's the deal, when you're a 4 year veteran, you're not supposed to be competing for the #3 spot. Johnson was brought onboard to be the backup to Alex Smith, allowing Kaepernick to be the #3, he couldn't unseat him, so why keep an older QB when you can hold on to a 2nd year player with tons of potential?
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Sep 1, 2012 at 3:15 PM ]
Originally posted by JoseCortez:
Originally posted by Afrikan:
I know some will take this the wrong way, let alone to the extreme...but

Poor Josh Johnson...he really got played. I mean some must question Harbaugh's credibility when it comes to earning your role on a team.

I have liked Tolzien since we first got him...and I still do....but I don't know how I'd look Josh in the eyes as if something wrong didn't happen.

If making the team was based off training camp and preseason, it seems Josh would've got the nod. I wonder what is going through his head. It must've been a long shot for him to make the team since he got here.

well at least he is leaving here a better QB, imo...he looked good out there in his final appearance.

So you've been to each practice during training camp to make this assessment? All you do is read articles and watch preseason games and you now feel you have the right to question harbaugh? Come on man.
haha so I'm wrong to question Harbaugh? When almost everyone here was questioning him regarding his praise for Colin and how Colin was ahead of Tolzien. But I'm wrong to question a decision?

but yes, I went based off articles about training camp and OTAs like everyone else...everyone else would follow each practice eager to see who did well and who didn't..everything was discussed and analyzed and argued...but no, I'm wrong for doing the same thing?

so based off what I've read from training camp it seemed close between the two heading into the preseason, and watching these preseason games Johnson looked better.
Originally posted by Afrikan:
Originally posted by JoseCortez:
Originally posted by Afrikan:
I know some will take this the wrong way, let alone to the extreme...but

Poor Josh Johnson...he really got played. I mean some must question Harbaugh's credibility when it comes to earning your role on a team.

I have liked Tolzien since we first got him...and I still do....but I don't know how I'd look Josh in the eyes as if something wrong didn't happen.

If making the team was based off training camp and preseason, it seems Josh would've got the nod. I wonder what is going through his head. It must've been a long shot for him to make the team since he got here.

well at least he is leaving here a better QB, imo...he looked good out there in his final appearance.

So you've been to each practice during training camp to make this assessment? All you do is read articles and watch preseason games and you now feel you have the right to question harbaugh? Come on man.
haha so I'm wrong to question Harbaugh? When almost everyone here was questioning him regarding his praise for Colin and how Colin was ahead of Tolzien. But I'm wrong to question a decision?

but yes, I went based off articles about training camp and OTAs like everyone else...everyone else would follow each practice eager to see who did well and who didn't..everything was discussed and analyzed and argued...but no, I'm wrong for doing the same thing?

so based off what I've read from training camp it seemed close between the two heading into the preseason, and watching these preseason games Johnson looked better.

to you maybe he looked better, not necessarily to Harbaugh.
[ Edited by AXEGRINDER on Sep 1, 2012 at 3:30 PM ]
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Here's the deal, when you're a 4 year veteran, you're not supposed to be competing for the #3 spot. Johnson was brought onboard to be the backup to Alex Smith, allowing Kaepernick to be the #3, he couldn't unseat him, so why keep an older QB when you can hold on to a 2nd year player with tons of potential?

Scott and Josh are like 16 months apart. Josh fits our offense, similar to Alex and Colin. (or at least from what i've been told our GM and coaches want from a QB) Again like I've said before I like Tolzien. But what is his potential? I've heard the word "potential" and "upside" for yeeeears regarding Alex..and I'm basically sick of those words. Those words were used to describe why Alex was correct draft pick of Aaron Rodgers. Because Alex had more "upside"...man get the f**k otta here with that b******t.

I really liked Scott because of how he performed last year against our defense...which is no joke, starters or backups. So I was thrilled when we got him. However imo he has regressed, regarding preseason performance.
Originally posted by AXEGRINDER:
to you maybe he looked better, not necessarily to Harbaugh.

well to me regarding watching him against opposing defenses....maybe to Harbaugh when its behind the scenes.

but would anyone here really like to debate Josh's and Scott's performances based on footage?
Originally posted by Gore_21:
https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter retweeted by Barrows

Arizona and SF each put in a waiver claim for former Dolphins LB Jamaal Westerman, who was awarded to Cardinals.

32 tackles, 3.5 sacks looks good but any claims we put in we are at the bottom of the totem pole. They go to the team with the worst record. Looks like we want to fill that OLB spot though.

If AZ didn't put in a claim we would have won him and he would have been added to the 53 man roster. Somebody would have been gone (celek, brock, mcbath?)

Outside Linebacker, making $615,000 in 2012. No surprise we didn't get him, 30th waiver claim spot. Person had no chance of going anywhere else but Indy, since they were 1st on waiver claim list.
Originally posted by Afrikan:
Scott and Josh are like 16 months apart. Josh fits our offense, similar to Alex and Colin. (or at least from what i've been told our GM and coaches want from a QB) Again like I've said before I like Tolzien. But what is his potential? I've heard the word "potential" and "upside" for yeeeears regarding Alex..and I'm basically sick of those words. Those words were used to describe why Alex was correct draft pick of Aaron Rodgers. Because Alex had more "upside"...man get the f**k otta here with that b******t.

I really liked Scott because of how he performed last year against our defense...which is no joke, starters or backups. So I was thrilled when we got him. However imo he has regressed, regarding preseason performance.


You don't suspect that Alex would have shown far more upside and potential had we been able to keep Norv Turner on? or had a good coach like Harbaugh all these years?
QB (3)

Alex Smith
Colin Kaepernick
Scott Tolzien

A little shocked that J. J. got the ax, but I'm not against Tolzien as the #3. I thought J.J played better overall. I still think we should have just kept two. I honestly don't think we need 3.

RB/FB (6)

Frank Gore
Kendall Hunter
Brandon Jacobs
LaMichael James
Anthony Dixon
Bruce Miller

I am not that surprised that Dixon beat out Rock. I actually wanted this to happen. Dixon really proved his worth during preseason and just worked his ass off.

WR (6)

Michael Crabtree
A.J. Jenkins
Mario Manningham
Randy Moss
Kyle Williams
Ted Ginn Jr.
(in that order)

I admit, I had Ginn getting axed. I just think, while he is an extremely dangerous return guy, his overall value as a football player is very limited. Plus, half the season he's not even available. And I still see A.J. as a starter, at least by the bye week. Skill-set wise he brings more to the field than any WR on our roster. I really thought Owusu or Palmer had a shot at making the 53. I hope Palmer isn't signed away from our PS. I think one of the few holes on this team will be our PS. Our waived players are gonna get raided.

O-Line (8)

Alex Boone
Anthony Davis
Jonathan Goodwin
Mike Iupati
Joe Staley
Leonard Davis
Daniel Kilgore
Joe Looney

No surprise to me that we keep only 8. I figured the line is one position we'd gamble a little because of the depth. We can move Boone around in a pinch. But if Boone goes down we are gonna have trouble, unless JH & Co. have another switch in mind for someone. However, I did think that Leonard Davis would be cut, just too old and slow for my taste. I thought that Mike Person would squeak by him.

TE (3)

Vernon Davis
Delanie Walker
Garrett Celek

Didn't see us keeping three official TE's because Dobbs showed he can play the spot. Celek making it tells me a lttle about how the TE's might be used. All three are very good pass catchers and versatile. Those 3 on the field at once is gonna keep a lot of linebackers and DC's up for long nights.

D-Line (7)

Ray McDonald
Justin Smith
Isaac Sopoaga
Ricky Jean Francois
* Demarcus Dobbs (also TE)
Ian Williams
Will Tukuafu

Not much of a surprise here, though I had us cutting Ian Williams. Not sure he'll dress for games though.

LB (7)

NaVorro Bowman
Ahmad Brooks
Aldon Smith
Patrick Willis
Parys Haralson
Larry Grant
Tavares Gooden

Very shocked that we're keeping only three OLB's. I think this is a major gamble. And I hope it don't come back to bite us.

CB (5)

Carlos Rogers
Tarell Brown
Chris Culliver
Perrish Cox
Tramaine Brock

No surprise here.

FS/SS (5)

Dashon Goldson
Donte Whitner
C.J. Spillman
Trenton Robinson
Darcel McBath

This is perhaps one of the leagues most talented safety groups. I hoped that we find a way to keep Michael Thomas on the 53 and I prey he isn't snatched off the PS.

ST (3)

David Akers
Andy Lee
Brian Jennings

Nothing to see here.

PS (8)
Tony Jerod-Eddie
Cam Johnson
Matthew Masifilo
Al Netter
Nathan Palmer
Michael Thomas
Kenny Wiggins
Michael Wilhoite

Man, I really hope we can keep Michael Thomas, Nathan Palmer, and Kenny Wiggins on our PS.

Reserve/PUP:
LB Darius Fleming

Reserve/non-football injury:
RB Jewel Hampton

OK, I was wrong on some things but right on most. Overall, still a SB roster.
Go get an OLB and an OT please
A shame we didn't win the claim on Westerman. A good reserve OLB and great on special teams.
My feeling come game days.

These should be the normal top 46 active.

QB- Alex Smith and Colin Kaepernick
RB- Frank Gore, Kendall Hunter and Brandon Jacobs
FB- Bruce Miller and Anthony Dixon(ST Ace mainly)
WR- Michael Crabtree, Randy Moss, Mario Manningham, Ted Ginn Jr., and Kyle Williams
TE- Vernon Davis and Delanie Walker
OL- Alex Boone, Joe Staley, Anthony Davis, Leonard Davis, Daniel Kilgore, Mike Iupati and Jonathan Goodwin
DL- Justin Smith, Isaac Sopoaga, Ray McDonald, Demarcus Dobbs, Ricky Jean Francois and Will Tukuafu
LB- Aldon Smith, Ahmad Brooks, Parys Haralson, Patrick Willis, NaVorro Bowman, Larry Grant and Tavares Gooden
CB- Carlos Rogers, Tarell Brown, Chris Culliver and Perrish Cox
S- Dashon Goldson, Donte Whitner, CJ Spillman and Trenton Robinson
ST- David Akers, Andy Lee and Brian Jennings

Inactives: QB Tolzien, RB James, WR Jenkins, OL Looney, NT Williams, CB Brock and S McBath

I wouldn't be surprised if we keep a DB over Kyle Williams. Run based team, not gonna use more than 3 WRs, the top 3 are better than Williams.
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
My feeling come game days.

These should be the normal top 46 active.

QB- Alex Smith and Colin Kaepernick
RB- Frank Gore, Kendall Hunter and Brandon Jacobs
FB- Bruce Miller and Anthony Dixon(ST Ace mainly)
WR- Michael Crabtree, Randy Moss, Mario Manningham, Ted Ginn Jr., and Kyle Williams
TE- Vernon Davis and Delanie Walker
OL- Alex Boone, Joe Staley, Anthony Davis, Leonard Davis, Daniel Kilgore, Mike Iupati and Jonathan Goodwin
DL- Justin Smith, Isaac Sopoaga, Ray McDonald, Demarcus Dobbs, Ricky Jean Francois and Will Tukuafu
LB- Aldon Smith, Ahmad Brooks, Parys Haralson, Patrick Willis, NaVorro Bowman, Larry Grant and Tavares Gooden
CB- Carlos Rogers, Tarell Brown, Chris Culliver and Perrish Cox
S- Dashon Goldson, Donte Whitner, CJ Spillman and Trenton Robinson
ST- David Akers, Andy Lee and Brian Jennings

Inactives: QB Tolzien, RB James, WR Jenkins, OL Looney, NT Williams, CB Brock and S McBath

I wouldn't be surprised if we keep a DB over Kyle Williams. Run based team, not gonna use more than 3 WRs, the top 3 are better than Williams.

Jenkins will be active.