LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 335 users in the forums

Official Roster Cutdown Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by oldman9er:
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
Wiggins is a Tackle on PS. He sorta replaced Person.... am I missing something...

Only remember seeing Wiggins as RT, where I think Person had more ability as a LT or RT. Guess the fear is more about a LT backup, as we have more options at RT. I think Boone can step in at LT or RT just fine. He would be far better depth at those spots than what most teams have as an OT # 3.

Netter played LT in camp/preseason. And he can play Guard. I don't expect needing them, hopefully, if anything then we sign a veteran.
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
Wiggins is a Tackle on PS. He sorta replaced Person.... am I missing something...

Only remember seeing Wiggins as RT, where I think Person had more ability as a LT or RT. Guess the fear is more about a LT backup, as we have more options at RT. I think Boone can step in at LT or RT just fine. He would be far better depth at those spots than what most teams have as an OT # 3.

Netter played LT in camp/preseason. And he can play Guard. I don't expect needing them, hopefully, if anything then we sign a veteran.

True enough on Netter. Still... I'd rather Boone slide out, as I think at either OT spot, he is much better right now than is Netter.
Originally posted by niners4lyfe:
owusu

blows, and im suprised we didnt keep Person
Originally posted by AB83Rules:

True enough on Netter. Still... I'd rather Boone slide out, as I think at either OT spot, he is much better right now than is Netter.

Agreed. Boone to either Tackle spots, then L.Davis at RG.
  • RKab
  • Veteran
Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter
Arizona and SF each put in a waiver claim for former Dolphins LB Jamaal Westerman, who was awarded to Cardinals.

Looks like we're looking for LB help. I'm assuming Westerman is an OLBer.
Originally posted by Afrikan:
I know some will take this the wrong way, let alone to the extreme...but

Poor Josh Johnson...he really got played. I mean some must question Harbaugh's credibility when it comes to earning your role on a team.

I have liked Tolzien since we first got him...and I still do....but I don't know how I'd look Josh in the eyes as if something wrong didn't happen.

If making the team was based off training camp and preseason, it seems Josh would've got the nod. I wonder what is going through his head. It must've been a long shot for him to make the team since he got here.

well at least he is leaving here a better QB, imo...he looked good out there in his final appearance.

So you've been to each practice during training camp to make this assessment? All you do is read articles and watch preseason games and you now feel you have the right to question harbaugh? Come on man.
[ Edited by JoseCortez on Sep 1, 2012 at 2:43 PM ]

Poor Josh Johnson...he really got played. I mean some must question Harbaugh's credibility when it comes to earning your role on a team.

I have liked Tolzien since we first got him...and I still do....but I don't know how I'd look Josh in the eyes as if something wrong didn't happen.

If making the team was based off training camp and preseason, it seems Josh would've got the nod. I wonder what is going through his head. It must've been a long shot for him to make the team since he got here.

well at least he is leaving here a better QB, imo...he looked good out there in his final appearance.

What facts do you have? Can you with any confidence back up your assertion that it was obvious Josh Johnson was the better player through the preseason? Are you basing your opinion off your perception of the preseason games? I just don't understand how you can with any credibility state that Johnson was the better of the two.

The fact is you can't, you have no idea what happened during the training camp, and with such an unstable foundation you still found it logical to question the Head Coach's credibility? I understand questioning and theorizing who you thought was better but you really crossed the line when you asserted a serious accusation of integrity with no credible evidence.
  • dj43

Not at all. He came in here knowing that he was at least the #3 QB behind Smith and Kaepernick. He had every chance to make the squad. He had a few good throws but also some really bad ones...all this was reminiscent of his time in Tampa. It should have been a good clue as to his inconsistency when Freeman was really struggling and the coach would not even try Johnson. He may hook on with someone somewhere but he clearly has not shown enough to be more than a #3, IMO.
  • RKab
  • Veteran

Johnson was insurance in case Kaepernick did not progress and become a legitimate #2.

However the team clearly saw positive things out of Kaep and Tolzien and was comfortable letting JJ go. I'll trust Harbaugh on this one.

We didn't get to watch TC practice, and the defense didn't remark on how well JJ was playing. They were all over Tolzien's nuts, so he must have been pretty impressive in practice.

Afrikan--Harbaugh no doubt let him know all along the way where he stood. I'm also pretty sure he did not promise him a spot when he signed...that would be very unlike the NFL. So no tears for Johnson as he had the chance to display his skills in the SD game well enough to get a bite from another team I would think, JH did him a favor.
I had the thought earlier that maybe they're going with so few OLBs because they plan to use the 4-3 and 3rd down nickel alot this since we're facing a ton of high powered passing teams this year, and because teams tend to just give up on the run and pass pass pass. That means more DL (we kept what, eight?) and fewer OLBs needed.

p.s. it's fun to say OLB like you're saying OLD.
https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter retweeted by Barrows

Arizona and SF each put in a waiver claim for former Dolphins LB Jamaal Westerman, who was awarded to Cardinals.

32 tackles, 3.5 sacks looks good but any claims we put in we are at the bottom of the totem pole. They go to the team with the worst record. Looks like we want to fill that OLB spot though.

If AZ didn't put in a claim we would have won him and he would have been added to the 53 man roster. Somebody would have been gone (celek, brock, mcbath?)
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Sep 1, 2012 at 3:16 PM ]

Here's the deal, when you're a 4 year veteran, you're not supposed to be competing for the #3 spot. Johnson was brought onboard to be the backup to Alex Smith, allowing Kaepernick to be the #3, he couldn't unseat him, so why keep an older QB when you can hold on to a 2nd year player with tons of potential?
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Sep 1, 2012 at 3:15 PM ]
Originally posted by JoseCortez:

So you've been to each practice during training camp to make this assessment? All you do is read articles and watch preseason games and you now feel you have the right to question harbaugh? Come on man.
haha so I'm wrong to question Harbaugh? When almost everyone here was questioning him regarding his praise for Colin and how Colin was ahead of Tolzien. But I'm wrong to question a decision?

but yes, I went based off articles about training camp and OTAs like everyone else...everyone else would follow each practice eager to see who did well and who didn't..everything was discussed and analyzed and argued...but no, I'm wrong for doing the same thing?

so based off what I've read from training camp it seemed close between the two heading into the preseason, and watching these preseason games Johnson looked better.
Share 49ersWebzone