There are 592 users in the forums

Official Roster Cutdown Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by ninermedic:
Slowey was waived, that surprised me.

Yup not a good sign when one your draft doesn't eve make it through the first round of cuts.

I know its very early but this years draft class is not looking very stellar.

LOL We cut our 6th round pick (Ronald Johnson) last year too.
Originally posted by Byisgod:

OK cool I hope AJJ gets 14 sacks this year too
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Just went back to last year and none of the first round of cuts were brought back in any capacity, it could be something to base our thinking off of. While we could be trying to sneak someone by before the final game when tons of gametape will be made I personally think none of these 12 players have a future with us.

Slowey seems like it might of been a "bet hedging" pick in case Kilgore just fell off the map in terms of develop as the "center of the future (lol)"

I'm more shocked about Nelms, Hannula and Tyms then anybody else. Nelms and Hannula are both incrdibly athletic, jack of all trade players that do wonders for the scout teams during practice. There is an outside chance that my previous thought of none of these players been brough back is wrong in the case of either Nelms or Hannula though.

Tyms is not shocking because we all have seemed to like him more then Palmer now but because Moss is likely here on a 1 and done deal and if Moss enjoying teaching so much then why not keep Tyms and have Moss who is of similar build and speed, only a bit faster teach Tyms the ropes? He is the player I could see us trying to "hide" because of his rawness but at the same time I dont truly mind him being gone.

Yup not a good sign when one your draft doesn't eve make it through the first round of cuts.

Shows how much depth we have on our team now. I remember when all our draft picks were making our roster.

Lol
Originally posted by ninerfan4life:

Shows how much depth we have on our team now. I remember when all our draft picks were making our roster.

Bingo.
As long as we arent cutting anybody drafted 4th round or higher no big loss. 6th rounders are usually trash anyway.
Originally posted by BayArea:
As long as we arent cutting anybody drafted 4th round or higher no big loss. 6th rounders are usually trash anyway.

I think Tom Brady would object to this.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
Originally posted by BayArea:

I think Tom Brady would object to this.

as would Terrell Davis
That's what he gets for being named "Kourtnei."

• mayo49
  • Veteran

I think Slowey got hurt early on this offseason and was behind the eight ball from the get go.
It really does show our depth!

But bummed about Slowey/Tyms. Those two are projects but with monster upside and both great fits for the WCO.
Originally posted by AllTimeGreat:
But wouldn't cutting these players now allow another team to grab one of them and then try to stash him on their PS? If we had any intention of keeping them on our PS I don't think we could cut them today. Surprised the team didn't think highly enough of Tymes to even try to get him onto the practice squad if Palmer and/or Owusu don't pass through waivers.

You can't make a waiver claim to place a guy on your PS... has to be active roster.
This is a deep team without a lot of spots to fill.

No great suprises on this list..

The next round of cuts will be very interesting.
One thing I will add is anyone worrying about late round picks we did work the boards and at one point I think we had 3 total 6 round picks but traded 1 back to move up to get Looney. Plus we got an extra 6th next year. So to me even though Slowey was the actual 49ers pick we got Trent Robinson as a bonus just for trading down. The way we were working the boards we got free players and we can't keep them all. And for all we know he still makes the PS but it's like the lotto... the more picks (tickets you have) the better your chance is at hitting the jackpot (a steal). And also, I'd rather be the team cutting 6th round picks than a bad team relying on their 6th rounder to be an upgrade over their current starter.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Aug 27, 2012 at 2:58 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone